Author Topic: Episode #751  (Read 753 times)

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Episode #751
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2019, 05:46:43 PM »
I'm not sure if the pseudoscience origin of soft drinks is all that relevant, since they no longer use any of the ingredients that drew people to them back then. Opium, cocaine, etc.
Is it even fair to call it psuedo-science, cocaine and opium actually have a measureable effect.   Sure, they might not cure what ails you but they sure make care a lot less about it.  Also, medicine was barely a science when coca cola was formulated, it was probably as good as what most doctor's were offering.

I call it pseudoscience when drugs are promoted for the treatment of conditions that they do not actually benefit. Yes, opium probably makes you feel better (if the synthetic opioid oxycodone is any indication). But it's pseudoscience if it's offered when not clinically indicated. Just my opinion.

Except, it isn't pseudoscience just to mis-prescribe opiates.  I don't believe that happens on an unscientific premise that the opiates are expected to do anything good for the patient other than relieve pain. You could call it "medical malpractice" or even "drug dealing" instead. And of course, Big Pharma trying to cover up their known addictiveness.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2019, 06:07:21 PM »
I'm not sure if the pseudoscience origin of soft drinks is all that relevant, since they no longer use any of the ingredients that drew people to them back then. Opium, cocaine, etc.
Is it even fair to call it psuedo-science, cocaine and opium actually have a measureable effect.   Sure, they might not cure what ails you but they sure make care a lot less about it.  Also, medicine was barely a science when coca cola was formulated, it was probably as good as what most doctor's were offering.

Coca-Cola has never had significant amounts of cocaine anyway. Precursors, some of which were sold as "Coca-Cola" by different people, had a very small amount, but since 1904 it has been produced with decocanated coca leaf extract.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2019, 06:20:49 PM »

Coca-Cola has never had significant amounts of cocaine anyway. Precursors, some of which were sold as "Coca-Cola" by different people, had a very small amount, but since 1904 it has been produced with decocanated coca leaf extract.

Initially Coca Cola did. contain significant quantities of cocaine:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola

I’m more concerned about the addictive drug caffeine included in most varieties of Coke.  The times I’ve been forced to undergo withdrawal from caffeine as a result of not being to obtain coffee have been the most miserable weeks of my life, with severe ‘flu-like symptoms.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline stands2reason

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2019, 07:25:15 PM »
Only way to fight a psychic mob is with a skeptical mob:

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2019, 03:15:44 PM »
The bit about the soft drinks helped me put 2 and 2 together about something

Some decades ago, in certain places in New England certain candy/convenience store/luncheonettes (with a soda fountain) would be called a "spa".
I recall one in a town in Maine that we would frequent as they had comic books and candy, etc.

Years later my friend and I were wracking our minds at why the hell they would call it that.
The soda fountain would be the explanation.

It wasn't just sweet sodas that were considered healthy--just about anything bubbly or with mineral water would be considered medicinal.
Saratoga Spring NY  (and other places) was a huge destination for people seeking the waters to drink or bathe in.

And of course all across the US, any respectable pharmacy/drug store would have a soda fountain and counter.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 03:18:44 PM by seamas »
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2019, 04:47:17 PM »

Some decades ago, in certain places in New England certain candy/convenience store/luncheonettes (with a soda fountain) would be called a "spa".
I recall one in a town in Maine that we would frequent as they had comic books and candy, etc.

Years later my friend and I were wracking our minds at why the hell they would call it that.

It wasn't just sweet sodas that were considered healthy--just about anything bubbly or with mineral water would be considered medicinal.
Saratoga Spring NY  (and other places) was a huge destination for people seeking the waters to drink or bathe in.

And of course all across the US, any respectable pharmacy/drug store would have a soda fountain and counter.

I’m reminded of ‘radium water’ being marketed as a ‘healthy drink:’

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radithor

Perhaps a little more dangerous than Coca Cola (well, actually a lot more dangerous).

Offline CookieMustard

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2019, 11:13:29 AM »

https://www.wgbh.org/news/local-news/2018/05/22/why-are-some-boston-area-convenience-stores-called-spas

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2019, 05:23:19 PM »

Professor Buzzkill begs to differ- 1 part per 200,000 for the original recipe's syrup, before diluting it 5x with carbonated water.

http://professorbuzzkill.eone.libsynpro.com/flashback-friday-105-cocaine-in-coca-cola
"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose" - Dale Gribble

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2019, 06:05:42 PM »

Professor Buzzkill begs to differ- 1 part per 200,000 for the original recipe's syrup, before diluting it 5x with carbonated water.

http://professorbuzzkill.eone.libsynpro.com/flashback-friday-105-cocaine-in-coca-cola

Well, if the cocaine was very dilute to begin with, then diluting it would make it even more potent.  And if you add ice, and make it even more diluted, then its potency would increase even further. [I’m joking of course].  I’m not particularly concerned about the amount of cocaine Coca Cola contained over a hundred years ago (how well do we know what the formula was then anyhow?).  I’m concerned about the amount of caffeine it currently contains, and caffeine is an addictive drug, with very nasty symptoms of withdrawal.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2019, 08:07:30 PM »
I've been addicted to caffeine. I'd call the withdrawal unpleasant rather than "very nasty." My entire live I've been unable to understand why throughout our society (at least while I was growing up) kids were forbidden from drinking coffee (not by law, but by custom) but permitted to drink Coke and other caffeinated soft drinks.

In Mexico Coke is cheaper than milk. Guess what people give their kids to drink?
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2019, 08:11:58 PM »
Milk.

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2019, 09:29:31 PM »

Well, if the cocaine was very dilute to begin with, then diluting it would make it even more potent.  And if you add ice, and make it even more diluted, then its potency would increase even further. [I’m joking of course].  I’m not particularly concerned about the amount of cocaine Coca Cola contained over a hundred years ago (how well do we know what the formula was then anyhow?).  I’m concerned about the amount of caffeine it currently contains, and caffeine is an addictive drug, with very nasty symptoms of withdrawal.

Caffeine is no joke, I have a few coworkers who can barely function without it. My 11th grade science teacher told our class about a "prank" he had pulled on an assistant years before. He said as a first day/welcome joke he dumped a spoonful of powdered caffeine into the man's coffee, which un-hilariously landed the poor guy in an ambulance. 3 years after hearing that, I accidentally dumped half a jar of instant coffee into a friend's coffee maker (it was a very long, very drunken night). Not wanting to waste my friend's coffee, I drank up, which did a terrible number on my digestive and nervous systems. If I believed in karma, I would say that's what I get for laughing at my my teacher's story. But I don't, so I won't :P
"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose" - Dale Gribble

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2019, 10:18:28 PM »
Caffeine is no joke, I have a few coworkers who can barely function without it. My 11th grade science teacher told our class about a "prank" he had pulled on an assistant years before. He said as a first day/welcome joke he dumped a spoonful of powdered caffeine into the man's coffee, which un-hilariously landed the poor guy in an ambulance. 3 years after hearing that, I accidentally dumped half a jar of instant coffee into a friend's coffee maker (it was a very long, very drunken night). Not wanting to waste my friend's coffee, I drank up, which did a terrible number on my digestive and nervous systems. If I believed in karma, I would say that's what I get for laughing at my my teacher's story. But I don't, so I won't :P
If it weren't for "karma" we wouldn't have any good stories.  :D

I can barely function without it first thing. I used to quit caffeine once or twice a year, usually when I had a cold and the headache and fatigue was already there, but for the last five years I just haven't bothered. I have so very few vices in my life, I figure this isn't terrible, and I enjoy it. The smell, taste, ritual, all make it worth it.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2019, 02:59:43 AM »
My 11th grade science teacher told our class about a "prank" he had pulled on an assistant years before. He said as a first day/welcome joke he dumped a spoonful of powdered caffeine into the man's coffee, which un-hilariously landed the poor guy in an ambulance.

So what happened to him after he nearly killed the assistant?

Offline stands2reason

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2019, 06:55:35 AM »

personate-rain