Author Topic: The Book of Dust Trilogy (Hide Major Spoilers)  (Read 95 times)

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
The Book of Dust Trilogy (Hide Major Spoilers)
« on: December 03, 2019, 01:38:30 AM »
For the unaware, The Book of Dust is the name given to the follow up trilogy to the His Dark Materials trilogy.  The first book (La Belle Sauvage) takes place about 10 years before The Golden Compass and the second book (The Secret Commonwealth) takes place about 10 years after The Amber Spyglass.  I've heard a number of people on this forum over the years speak highly of HDM but I haven't heard any mention of this new trilogy so I figured it was about time.

I read La Belle Sauvage (well, listened to the audio book) and enjoyed it well enough despite feeling tonally very different from HDM and I'm about 2/3rds of the way through The Secret Commonwealth.  I have to say though, that I'm actually starting to get a little pissed off at TSC because it seems to take a very pointedly anti-skeptical stance.  I'm fully aware I haven't finished the book, much less the trilogy, but the way certain characters have been presented in this book seems to leave very little room for re-interpretation later on as it paints them as either straight up evil or positively lost in the sauce and unable to even think clearly at all.  I can go in more detail if anyone's curious, but I was mainly wondering if anyone else has read this and what your thoughts may be.  It's so pointed and on the nose that it almost seems like Pullman is reacting to all the praise his previous trilogy got from skeptics and atheists as well as the scorn earned by various religious groups for appearing anti-theist; really quite strikingly opposite of what I loved about HDM's themes.

personate-rain
personate-rain