Author Topic: Episode #753  (Read 2368 times)

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Episode #753
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2020, 06:13:15 PM »
Of course, that calendar that started it all is not even in use anymore and we've dropped a few weeks off. So if you asked Caesar, it'd still 2019.

If you asked Caesar he'd say it's 2772. The Romans counted their years (on the rare occasions they numbered them) from the founding of Rome in 753 BCE

If you asked Caesar what year it is or when the decade starts, he wouldn't say anything, because he's dead.  ::)
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2020, 07:33:14 PM »
Of course, that calendar that started it all is not even in use anymore and we've dropped a few weeks off. So if you asked Caesar, it'd still 2019.

If you asked Caesar he'd say it's 2772. The Romans counted their years (on the rare occasions they numbered them) from the founding of Rome in 753 BCE

If you asked Caesar what year it is or when the decade starts, he wouldn't say anything, because he's dead.  ::)

touché  ;)

Then according to the Julian calendar, as it was envisaged at the time Of Julius Caesar, today would be (for me now) January 1st, 2773.

For the US it is still December 31st, 2772

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
Re: Episode #757
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2020, 11:34:40 AM »

Nonsense! He'd say MMDCCLCCII.

Being something of a latin wonk, I believe this would have been pronounced by a Roman patrician such as Caesar as meh-meh-DUHHH-kah-kah-loo-ai-yi.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 02:16:17 PM by gebobs »

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2020, 04:12:35 PM »

Being something of a latin wonk, I believe this would have been pronounced by a Roman patrician such as Caesar as meh-meh-DUHHH-kah-kah-loo-ai-yi.

'Pendantry' (sic) alive and well on the SGU forum  ;)  ;D

I think you mean:  MMDCCLXXII

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2020, 04:38:59 PM »

'Pendantry' (sic) alive and well on the SGU forum  ;)  ;D

I think you mean:  MMDCCLXXII

Loves me some pendants.  :rebecca:
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2020, 05:50:46 PM »
Since we’re being pedantic, I would point out that the Verrine dating was not commonly used in antiquity to refer to years and it is very unlikely that Caesar would have referred to the year using dates AUC. In the time of Caesar by far the most common way to name a year was after the consuls; 59 BCE was not DCLXXXXIIII anno urbe condita, but simply Caesare et Bibulo consulibus, “when Caesar and Bibulus were consuls”.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2020, 06:02:25 PM »
Since we’re being pedantic, I would point out that the Verrine dating was not commonly used in antiquity to refer to years and it is very unlikely that Caesar would have referred to the year using dates AUC. In the time of Caesar by far the most common way to name a year was after the consuls; 59 BCE was not DCLXXXXIIII anno urbe condita, but simply Caesare et Bibulo consulibus, “when Caesar and Bibulus were consuls”.

I did say "on the rare occasions they numbered them"

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2020, 06:31:44 PM »

He would not have used the "Before Common Era" for any dates.

and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2020, 06:47:04 PM »

He would not have used the "Before Common Era" for any dates.

To be fair to The Latinist, the 59 BCE was for our benefit, so we knew which year he was referring to with the follow up AUC (in Roman numerals), and then its consuls naming convention.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2020, 09:26:24 AM »
Episode 755 used to have a thread. I even posted in it. It mysteriously disappeared.  ??? ???

It looks like that was accidentally deleted. We're working on restoring it.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell