Author Topic: Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (Spoiler Warning)  (Read 885 times)

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (Spoiler Warning)
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2020, 05:06:31 PM »
The biggest problem with the lates trilogy is the lack of focus and direction.
(click to show/hide)
Seems to me that they really screwed up when they told Johnson, "Go ahead and do what ever you want."  That certainly implies that no one had a plan and if they did, he blew it up.
Agreed. I think they compounded it by not 'Yes and'ing his decisions.
JJ has some high level ideas about what makes a good story but he lacks an appreciation of absolute basics when it comes to narrative arc and collaborative story telling.
He also seems to write as he goes along. Start with an idea and develop it as you go along, and change as you go. Consider Lost.
I wonder how he has never gotten the feedback that this is a bug and not a feature of his style?

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2020, 05:09:28 PM »
(click to show/hide)
Seems to me that they really screwed up when they told Johnson, "Go ahead and do what ever you want."  That certainly implies that no one had a plan and if they did, he blew it up.
JJ has some high level ideas about what makes a good story but he lacks an appreciation of absolute basics when it comes to narrative arc and collaborative story telling.
He also seems to write as he goes along. Start with an idea and develop it as you go along, and change as you go. Consider Lost.
I wonder how he has never gotten the feedback that this is a bug and not a feature of his style?
His feedback is hundreds of millions of dollars in ticket sales. The message is "it doesn't matter."  :laugh:
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2020, 05:33:32 PM »
(click to show/hide)
His feedback is hundreds of millions of dollars in ticket sales. The message is "it doesn't matter."  :laugh:
Well yes, you are right, it doesnt.
But he seems to tout it as a strength rather than just something he can get away with.
How does he not want to improve at his craft? I just find that baffling.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2020, 01:20:18 PM »
(click to show/hide)
Well yes, you are right, it doesnt.
But he seems to tout it as a strength rather than just something he can get away with.
How does he not want to improve at his craft? I just find that baffling.
I can 100% guarantee you that he's so successful and insulated that he doesn't know/care/or isn't ever told. He's totally glad handed all the time, told he's awesome, and gets the red-carpet everywhere. My opinion is that if he's anything like 90% of the creatives I've ever worked with he is at the top of his game anyway and is doing his best work. He just got to be one of the lucky, slightly above average guys. This is the classic reward for being an average guy in Hollywood who has connections or pushes hard. That's slowly changing, but he got in while the getting was good.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2020, 02:00:55 PM »
If you think his movies are bad, don't go see them.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2020, 02:48:52 PM »
I dont. I loved Force Awakens and MI:4
I just think he has areas he could improve in and those weak points were very apparent in this film.

Not a rhetorical question- If a director whose movies you have disliked made a Godzilla movie, would you skip it? I find that with the stuff I am a big fan of, I would rather watch and enjoy for the good I can get and I still enjoy having discussions like this about the stuff I didnt enjoy so I get value for money either way.
This movie has given me about 12hrs of entertainment at this point.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2020, 04:42:56 PM »
I go to a movie to have fun.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2020, 05:34:24 PM »
Your life was the military, you talk about it ALL THE TIME on this forum. I don't say shit. You can let those of us who work in entertainment or those who love it have an opinion without needing to tell us to STFU.

It's also possible for many of us to be entertained and be critical at the same time. Weird, I know.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2020, 08:54:28 PM »
Well then I should probably keep going to see his films. I have fun watching and then dissecting them.

Also- Im genuinely interested. Would you not go see Godzilla if a director you really disliked made it?

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2020, 09:28:56 PM »
Your life was the military, you talk about it ALL THE TIME on this forum. I don't say shit. You can let those of us who work in entertainment or those who love it have an opinion without needing to tell us to STFU.

It's also possible for many of us to be entertained and be critical at the same time. Weird, I know.
LOL. You want the freedom to express your opinion AND you don't want to hear mine. Typical.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2020, 09:31:24 PM »
Well then I should probably keep going to see his films. I have fun watching and then dissecting them.

Also- Im genuinely interested. Would you not go see Godzilla if a director you really disliked made it?
Do you think I'm compulsive about Gojira movies? I can't stand the Saturday morning movies. I have given all of them a chance and I'll never see most of them again. They weren't any fun to watch.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2020, 02:00:38 PM »

LOL. You want the freedom to express your opinion AND you don't want to hear mine. Typical.
LOL when your opinion is to tell other people to stop expressing theirs, yeah I don't want to hear it.
My point was I don't care that you talk about your military stuff, I don't get why you care if others talk about the shortcomings of famous directors just because your depth of movie involvment is just to enjoy it. Seemed needlessly condescending and one sided.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2020, 03:17:18 PM »
LOL when your opinion is to tell other people to stop expressing theirs, yeah I don't want to hear it.
Show me. 

personate-rain
personate-rain