Author Topic: Episode #755  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #755
« on: December 28, 2019, 12:27:40 AM »
2019 Year End Review
In Memorium
Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
    • View Profile
Re: Episode #755
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 04:57:58 AM »
Steve used my data for the Science or Fiction wrap-up. The last 2 episode results (754 & 755) weren't updated in those figures. They don't change any positions but here is the final result for 2019:

1st: :cara:   Cara    70%   40 Games    28 Wins   12 Losses     3 Solo Wins
2nd: :jay:   Jay    58%   50 Games    29 Wins   21 Losses     1 Solo Win
3rd: :evan:   Evan    54.16%   48 Games    26 Wins   22 Losses     3 Solo Wins
4th: :bob:   Bob    50%   50 Games    25 Wins   25 Losses     3 Solo Wins
5th: :steve:   Steve    25%    4  Games    1  Win    3   Losses     

Rogues swept Steve: 8 Times
Steve swept Rogues: 4 Times

Best winning streak: Jay - 6 Games in a row (745 to 750)
Worst losing streak: Bob - 5 Games in a row (728 to 732)

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 11:28:27 AM »
Will Cara point out to her friend Joe Rogan the silliness of raw milk claims? Or will she take the Shermer approach of affirming Joe's milken nonsense to keep the thin skinned friendship going?

Online lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 12:14:10 PM »
(ep 754) Adelie is pronounced a de' li.  Stones are the currency in their species in regards to sex.  I have a wee story about that. 

They are lovely birds.

"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 05:15:31 PM »
(ep 754) Adelie is pronounced a de' li.  Stones are the currency in their species in regards to sex.  I have a wee story about that. 

They are lovely birds.

It’s an old one, but they can also fly:

Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 06:19:27 PM »
I agree with the rogues' assessment that CRISPR is an amazing technology that may some day make it possible to correct genetic illnesses (probably in eggs &/or sperm &/or fertilized eggs rather than in adults) but the rogues' enthusiasm should come with a footnote that this technology will be available to the rich, and perhaps to people with good medical insurance. Probably not for poor folks.

Kudos to the rogues for calling out Trump as a menace to the world, and especially kudos to Cara for mentioning the pustule first.

Also Kudos for finally coming around to what should have been the obvious fact, that a Mars colony in the near term is a pipe dream. (I think it's a pipe dream at any time line, but credit where it's due for dropping their notion that it could be done soon.)

My sister gets regular acupuncture treatments and swears by them. And she gets acupuncture for her dog and swears the dog feels better as well. I hope the charlatan is not actually sticking needles in the poor dog. Any mention of skepticism towards any form of medical woo will send her into a fit. It's not worth trying to educate her. I think she also uses homeopathy. And megavitamins. And she's convinced she has non-celiac gluten sensitivity, which of course is not an actual thing.

I think that the root of climate-change denialism is just money: Fossil fuels have made a lot of people rich, and are continuing to do so. The fossil fuel industries are going to fight tooth and nail and as dirty as they think they must, to keep the cash rolling in
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline PSXer

• Triskaidekaphilic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 06:22:02 PM »
The scratch 'n sniff movie idea was also used in '94 for Fox-o-Rama. You bought the scratch and sniff cards as well as Pulfrich 3D glasses (the kind that have one light lens and one dark lens) from 7-11. Then you watched Fox on a certain night. I'm not sure if any of the shows were actually reformatted for 3D, or if the glasses just make certain scenes look 3D.

Here's an article I found on it:
https://www.deseret.com/1994/5/7/19107552/fox-o-rama-can-hardly-be-called-interactive

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 05:34:58 AM »
My sister gets regular acupuncture treatments and swears by them. And she gets acupuncture for her dog and swears the dog feels better as well. I hope the charlatan is not actually sticking needles in the poor dog.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 10:23:43 AM »
Pound for pound, the SGU are certainly more entertaining than the Super Bowl.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 01:08:14 PM »
Vax populi, vax dei.

Offline thelaker

• Off to a Start
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2019, 02:01:56 PM »
Greta Thunberg got a lot of love from the SGU crew in this episode, but I don’t think her brand of activism is very useful for a number of reasons:

1.  Shrieking “how dare you” is hardly an effective persuasion technique.  That may be great for rallying your base of support, but that also hardens your opposition.
2.  What is her plan?  For example, is she pro nuclear power?  The best I can tell, her platform is forgoing air travel and meat.  How many politicians in democratic governments would be able to keep their jobs if they seriously promoted these kind of restrictive policies to address climate change?
3.  When she complains about stolen dreams, she appears ignorant of human history.  She has the privilege of living in a wealthy country in a time in history where she has the highest life expectancy.  Would she rather live 100, 200+ years ago?  Is there no understanding of how cheap energy has lifted billions of people out of crushing poverty over the last 100 years?
4.  She appears to subscribe to the “we’re all doomed in 10 years” idea.  This might be motivated by the paper from Jim Bendell (https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/vbwpdb/the-climate-change-paper-so-depressing-its-sending-people-to-therapy), but this idea has gotten some traction among U.S. activists (e.g AOC).  It would be interesting if the SGU could take a deep dive into this idea.  After hearing apocalyptic claims of various types for much of my life and not seeing them come true, I’m no longer inclined to take them seriously.

Online lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2019, 03:40:50 PM »
Measles in Samoa.

One unvaccinated person returning home from Aotearoa (NZ) infected the islands and caused more than 70 deaths so far.

Lack of vaccination (well under the 90% needed for herd immunity) was due in large part from the DEATHS of two infants being vaccinated.  It was due to two nurses mixing the injections wrongly (they are now in prison) but two infants died.  There might not be a lot of knowledge of medicine among the citizens, but people knew that two children died from their vaccination.

The red flags outside of home were signs to draw attention of roving vaccinators to enter and vaccinate.

Many people live rurally and do not have the facility to hop in the car (which they don't have) and drive to the local chemist (which might not exist in their area) for a free vaccination, Jay. 

They seem to have arrived at the percentage  for herd immunity, but as it takes some weeks for the immune response to activate, measles still occurs. 

"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 03:54:00 PM »
Steve used my data for the Science or Fiction wrap-up. The last 2 episode results (754 & 755) weren't updated in those figures. They don't change any positions but here is the final result for 2019:

1st: :cara:   Cara    70%   40 Games    28 Wins   12 Losses     3 Solo Wins
2nd: :jay:   Jay    58%   50 Games    29 Wins   21 Losses     1 Solo Win
3rd: :evan:   Evan    54.16%   48 Games    26 Wins   22 Losses     3 Solo Wins
4th: :bob:   Bob    50%   50 Games    25 Wins   25 Losses     3 Solo Wins
5th: :steve:   Steve    25%    4  Games    1  Win    3   Losses     

Rogues swept Steve: 8 Times
Steve swept Rogues: 4 Times

Best winning streak: Jay - 6 Games in a row (745 to 750)
Worst losing streak: Bob - 5 Games in a row (728 to 732)

Are you the David that Steve referred to as the one who gathered the statistics? If so, congrats, good job! :)

And congrats to the SGU for all that has been achieved during the decade.

I hope that in late December 2029 I will again hear "And until next decade, this is your skeptic's guide to the universe!". ;D
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline Zec

• Off to a Start
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2019, 04:42:41 PM »
Kudos for mentioning Greta Thunberg. She did amazing. Has anybody ever seen millions of people protesting for the climate befere? i don't think so. Great job.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2019, 05:08:57 PM »
Greta Thunberg got a lot of love from the SGU crew in this episode, but I don’t think her brand of activism is very useful for a number of reasons:

1.  Shrieking “how dare you” is hardly an effective persuasion technique.  That may be great for rallying your base of support, but that also hardens your opposition.
2.  What is her plan?  For example, is she pro nuclear power?  The best I can tell, her platform is forgoing air travel and meat.  How many politicians in democratic governments would be able to keep their jobs if they seriously promoted these kind of restrictive policies to address climate change?
3.  When she complains about stolen dreams, she appears ignorant of human history.  She has the privilege of living in a wealthy country in a time in history where she has the highest life expectancy.  Would she rather live 100, 200+ years ago?  Is there no understanding of how cheap energy has lifted billions of people out of crushing poverty over the last 100 years?
4.  She appears to subscribe to the “we’re all doomed in 10 years” idea.  This might be motivated by the paper from Jim Bendell (https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/vbwpdb/the-climate-change-paper-so-depressing-its-sending-people-to-therapy), but this idea has gotten some traction among U.S. activists (e.g AOC).  It would be interesting if the SGU could take a deep dive into this idea.  After hearing apocalyptic claims of various types for much of my life and not seeing them come true, I’m no longer inclined to take them seriously.

Well, it’s not that ‘we’re all doomed in 10 years.’  It’s more ‘were all doomed unless we take meaningful action to stabilise atmospheric greenhouse gas levels within the next 10 years’ otherwise the resulting global warming will trigger tipping points, such as an ice-free summer Arctic or melting of the Arctic permafrost and subsequent release of methane, which won’t be reversed easily.

Governments have been talking about and promising to take action for years, decades...and have done little or nothing.  And atmospheric greenhouse gases continue to increase.  Governments seem to be interested in only mouthing the minimum to be re-elected, and nothing more.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück