Author Topic: Episode #755  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Episode #755
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2019, 06:45:12 PM »
:steve: Said he thought the "Scratch-and-Sniff" movie was "Hair."

He might be thinking of "Hairspray" (1988) directed by John Waters, but the movie was "Polyester" (1981), filmed in "Oderama," and also directed by John Waters. 

I doubt the rogues saw that movie as kids. John Waters ain't Jim Henson or John Hughes.

His description of the experience, including old socks, was accurate.

Yeah, Hair was a late seventies musical directed by Milos Forman, with Treat Williams. I was 20-ish when I saw it. Pretty good flick, but no scratch 'n sniff.  Had to be the John Waters movie.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • "I ain't no doctor with degrees" - Think
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2019, 07:12:49 PM »

He might be thinking of "Hairspray" (1988) directed by John Waters, but the movie was "Polyester" (1981), filmed in "Oderama," and also directed by John Waters. 

I doubt the rogues saw that movie as kids. John Waters ain't Jim Henson or John Hughes.

Yes, but it was "Polyester," not "Hairspray."
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 04:39:15 PM by CarbShark »
... and Donald Trump is president of the United States

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2019, 10:21:02 AM »

Yes, but it was "Polyester," not "Hairspray."

Yeah, Hair was a late seventies musical directed by Milos Forman, with Treat Williams. I was 20-ish when I saw it. Pretty good flick, but no scratch 'n sniff.  Had to be the John Waters movie.

Exactly, Steve confused the titles of "Hair" and "Hairspray," but the Odorama movie was "Polyester," which was by John Waters. Steve is about 5 years younger than me, so he would have been 16 or so at the time - very likely that he would have seen the movie.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2019, 03:55:19 PM »
Many people live rurally and do not have the facility to hop in the car (which they don't have) and drive to the local chemist (which might not exist in their area) for a free vaccination, Jay. 

Listened to that yesterday. That's not what he was saying. He made the point there was a difference between the two scenarios (rural/remote/poor vs city/town/first world) and what he couldn't get his head around was that those who do have the choice of driving in their car and heading to the local pharmacy to get a vaccine, choosing not to.

int_ua

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2020, 03:30:29 AM »
Is this the episode where The Pocket Guide to Pseudoscience was mentioned? Can you please point me where the official page for it is? Searching for it on ZME Science gives no results. Did I misremember the name and searching for the wrong book?

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2020, 09:01:23 AM »
Is this the episode where The Pocket Guide to Pseudoscience was mentioned? Can you please point me where the official page for it is? Searching for it on ZME Science gives no results. Did I misremember the name and searching for the wrong book?

It's the first result when you google "the pocket guide to pseudoscience."

https://www.scribd.com/document/435877777/The-Pocket-Guide-to-Pseudoscience-by-ZME-Science-2018

You can subscribe or sign up for a 30-day free trial to download the document.
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2020, 11:16:01 AM »
Quote from: thelaker
Greta Thunberg got a lot of love from the SGU crew in this episode, but I don’t think her brand of activism is very useful for a number of reasons:

1.  Shrieking “how dare you” is hardly an effective persuasion technique. 
Good thing she didn't shriek then, isn't it?

2.  What is her plan? 
So if someone doesn't have an action on how to put out a house fire they shouldn't bother to report the first and urge the authorities to do something about it???
The suggestion is absurd.

3.  When she complains about stolen dreams, she appears ignorant of human history. 

Isn't everyone ignorant of human history?
Are you really harping on that phrase?
By your rationale no one should remark or lament anything of their current age because people from previous times had it worse.

4.  She appears to subscribe to the “we’re all doomed in 10 years” idea. 
She is correct that there are multiple tipping points and the 10-12 year window of a major tipping point is well supported.
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline thelaker

• Off to a Start
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2020, 12:42:27 PM »
2.  What is her plan? 
So if someone doesn't have an action on how to put out a house fire they shouldn't bother to report the first and urge the authorities to do something about it???

There have been multiple responses to my original post to the effect that it doesn't matter that Greta doesn't have a plan.

I think this notion is ridiculous.  The main reason for resistance to climate change policies is entirely related to the proposed plans (i.e. the sacrifices that we living in the developed world must make)!!  If we are to take activists seriously, we need to hear the plan!!

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2020, 12:55:36 PM »
The plan is don't ignore the science and the scientists.

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2020, 07:53:42 PM »
2.  What is her plan? 

There have been multiple responses to my original post to the effect that it doesn't matter that Greta doesn't have a plan.

I think this notion is ridiculous.  The main reason for resistance to climate change policies is entirely related to the proposed plans (i.e. the sacrifices that we living in the developed world must make)!!  If we are to take activists seriously, we need to hear the plan!!

So, you're saying that if someone doesn't have a concrete solution to an approaching disaster, they should just keep quiet? We, the adults of today, are totally fucking the world the next generation will inherit. It is entirely reasonable for young people to protest this.

Question: Does the present generation have the right to consume all the world's resources and leave nothing for the next generation? If the answer is no (which it is!) does the next generation have the responsibility to come up with a "plan" to preserve the environment while allowing the present generation to continue it's wasteful squandering of resources? Hint: The answer to that is No.

We have a responsibility to leave the Earth in as good a condition as it was when we got it. It is our responsibility to figure out how to do that, even if it means we have to return to the standard of living of a hundred years ago. The kids of today do not have the responsibility to figure out how to do that.

Greta's "plan" is to raise public awareness to try to shame the adults into acting like responsible citizens rather than the spoiled brats we are. We consume hundreds of times more resources than our ancestors did, and in a mere century we have nearly exhausted the world's fossil fuels, recklessly dumping the carbon into the atmosphere, and acting as though the world owes us a standard of living hundreds of times higher than anyone ever had before. And the cost of that is we are leaving the next generation bankrupt.

Nobody has any right to criticize Greta for protesting this criminal wastefulness on the grounds that she does not have a detailed plan for how to fix it.
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline thelaker

• Off to a Start
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2020, 09:30:59 PM »
even if it means we have to return to the standard of living of a hundred years ago.

You are proving my point.  If "the plan" is to roll back our lifestyle to 100 years ago, there will be no political will to do this!!  Keep howling at the moon.....

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2020, 04:05:44 AM »
That's not the plan, the point is if we don't do anything, we'll be far worse off than merely going back 100 years.

And there's plenty we can do, like implementing a carbon fee and dividend to actively entice a shift to less polluting activities. There are a lot of things people can do differently without their lives getting worse for it. The only people who have to lose out are the ones who profit massively off of the escalating destruction of our environment, but they're already wealthy enough that it should be irrelevant to them.

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2020, 10:02:57 AM »
even if it means we have to return to the standard of living of a hundred years ago.

You are proving my point.  If "the plan" is to roll back our lifestyle to 100 years ago, there will be no political will to do this!!  Keep howling at the moon.....

I did not say that was the plan. I said it's not Greta's responsibility to come up with a plan. It's ours. Your assertion that she should just keep quiet if she does not have a "plan" to turn things around is outrageous. She has as much right to speak out as anyone. And what she is saying is true: We adults are destroying the world she and her contemporaries and future generations will have to live in.

If someone is stealing your car, and you cannot stop them, do you just keep your mouth closed and go back inside your house? Fuck no! You should "STOP THIEF!" at the top of your lungs, and then you pull out your phone and call the police. And if the police are not a pack of dickwads, they don't tell you to be quiet unless you have a "plan" to get your car back, because that's their job, not yours. We are stealing the future from the next generation, and as the victims, it's not their job to figure out how to fix it. It's our job. And we are a total pack of dickwads if we tell Greta to just be quiet unless she has a "plan."
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2020, 05:12:34 PM »

I think this notion is ridiculous. 

That is no surprise at all.

The main reason for resistance to climate change policies is entirely related to the proposed plans (i.e. the sacrifices that we living in the developed world must make)!!  If we are to take activists seriously, we need to hear the plan!!

And there is your lazy cop-out.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2020, 05:13:12 PM »

You are proving my point.  If "the plan" is to roll back our lifestyle to 100 years ago,

That is a straw man argument.