Author Topic: Is Betelgeuse about to explode?  (Read 512 times)

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: Is Betelgeuse about to explode?
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2020, 10:25:47 AM »
I certainly don't believe in astrology. I mean Rush Limbaugh and I were born on the same day, same county in Missouri. That alone proves astrology doesn't work.
That explains everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doesn't explain why I always run out of salsa before I run out of chips.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2020, 10:34:40 AM »
I certainly don't believe in astrology. I mean Rush Limbaugh and I were born on the same day, same county in Missouri. That alone proves astrology doesn't work.

Rush does too.

and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2020, 10:44:16 AM »

Rush does too.

Ah, having the same birthday makes me just like Rush. Very skeptical of you.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2020, 10:47:30 AM »

Rush does too.

Ah, having the same birthday makes me just like Rush. Very skeptical of you.
Sounds like something Rush would say

and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2020, 10:49:23 AM »
Ah, rampant howdareyouism.

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2020, 11:43:05 AM »

You are acting just like a Capricorn. Are you a Capricorn!
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Coincidence theorist
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2020, 12:00:16 PM »
Hey we're getting off topic here. This thread is strictly for discussing the supernatural comedy stylings of Michael Keaton.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2020, 12:02:55 PM »

Are you aware of precession?

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2020, 03:00:34 PM »

I am aware of projection, Boomer!
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2020, 03:46:36 PM »

I am aware of projection, Boomer!
So, nothing. Got it.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2020, 06:22:21 PM »
Somewhat getting back on topic, could Sirius b become a supernova?  Or at least a ‘nova’ (I assume it’s not visible to the naked eye).  Probably not, at least not in the next 200 million years, until Sirius A reaches the end of its lifespan and swells into a red giant, and allows accretion of extra matter onto the surface of Sirius a:

https://astronomy.stackexchange.com/questions/20122/will-sirius-b-start-accreting-from-a-and-become-a-supernova-type-ia

Sirius b is only 8.6 light years away.

As a trivial fact, Sirius A was the first star to have its absolute distance from the solar system estimated.  One Christian Huygens assumed that the sun and Sirius were just as bright as each other, and ‘remembered’ how bright Sirius was during the night, and compared it to the brightness of a point on its surface comparable to that of the size of Sirius, and assumed the inverse square law to come up with an estimate.  Which was far too low - the absolute brightness of Sirius A is around 10 times that of the sun.  But it still was a considerable distance.  From memory, I think he came up with a figure of half a light year.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2020, 06:30:31 PM »

Depending on the method you're using, minute differences in the time and location of your birth can have significant effects on two people's natal charts. You would have to be born within the same 5-minute period within metres of each other in order for there to be an expectation of similarity in the two charts. Depending on the method, of course. Most astrologers computerise it these days, so there's no problem doing that detailed a calculation. Back when I was doing it by hand I wouldn't have bothered getting any more detailed than the location of the city, and the time to within an hour.

Suffice to say that your birth proximity to Rush isn't the reason astrology doesn't work. :)
My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2020, 06:47:20 PM »

Depending on the method you're using, minute differences in the time and location of your birth can have significant effects on two people's natal charts. You would have to be born within the same 5-minute period within metres of each other in order for there to be an expectation of similarity in the two charts. Depending on the method, of course. Most astrologers computerise it these days, so there's no problem doing that detailed a calculation. Back when I was doing it by hand I wouldn't have bothered getting any more detailed than the location of the city, and the time to within an hour.

Suffice to say that your birth proximity to Rush isn't the reason astrology doesn't work. :)
For the average person's understanding level of astrology it is sufficient.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2020, 07:00:08 PM »

For the average person's understanding level of astrology it is sufficient.

The average person's understanding level of astrology doesn't go deeper than sun signs.
My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2020, 07:09:52 PM »
And almost nobody understands precession.

personate-rain