1 (5.9%)
no
5 (29.4%)
It is partially correct.
0 (0%)
I am not a Christian.
11 (64.7%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: The Beast Revelation  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Planetary Skeptic
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • View Profile
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: The Beast Revelation
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2020, 01:01:13 AM »
I found him

Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain

Offline Edge of Sanity

• Off to a Start
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2020, 01:41:44 PM »
Just because it has history, (not including the Betsy Ross myth), isn't an excuse to fetishise the flag. That does seem to be a uniquely American thing, among some groups.

These same groups do seem to treat any misuse of their flag i.e burning it, wiping your arse with it  ;) as a major crime.
To me these are legitimate forms of protest. I, personally, wouldn't do it, but I can understand it being done as a protest against whatever country the flag represents.

It is known that she made flags for the navy....But, and I say but there is no firm evidence she actually made the US flag....I have been duped because here all this time I was thinking she did....Oh well life goes on....
If you cannot dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with bullshit.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2020, 04:47:57 PM »
The extent to which Americans love displaying their flag is frankly weird to us foreigners.

I understand.

The concept of having a Queen and even placing her on money is frankly weird to us foreigners.   >:D

Not to mention having that same monarch in charge of your church (which I am guessing is not the case where you live)

Who needs a flag when you have got a Queen or King to display.

Well you also have the fact that you literally fought a war to kick the monarchy out of your affairs. We never did that. The country was founded, and still is populated in the majority, by people who descended from the English. The Queen is more or less omnipresent. When I was in scouts I pledged allegiance "to God and to the Queen". I guess the same goes for your flag.
Self-described nerd.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2020, 07:03:31 PM »
The extent to which Americans love displaying their flag is frankly weird to us foreigners.

I understand.

The concept of having a Queen and even placing her on money is frankly weird to us foreigners.   >:D

Not to mention having that same monarch in charge of your church (which I am guessing is not the case where you live)

Who needs a flag when you have got a Queen or King to display.

Well you also have the fact that you literally fought a war to kick the monarchy out of your affairs. We never did that. The country was founded, and still is populated in the majority, by people who descended from the English. The Queen is more or less omnipresent. When I was in scouts I pledged allegiance "to God and to the Queen". I guess the same goes for your flag.

I was a cub scout and did the same to the Flag.

On one hand I think its silly, why have a pledge in a "free" country but at the same time I do think it makes some people appreciate their country more when honoring a symbol. Its become a negative thing because the conservatives cling to it (often hypocritically) and I think its too bad the Flag has become a negative topic.

All my churches had US Flags and I think a State flag. I don't recall any pledges or discussion around it except for the 4th of July sermon, Maybe presidents day.

Dealing with local Governments and religion is often a problem in the southern US. A prayer is often spoken at the beginning of a City Counsel meeting. Probably not with the Atlanta counsel but the smaller surrounding cities in greater Atlanta do.   It pisses me off to sit/stand through it. I have considered making a big deal about it but I'm much more interested in other fights going on with the city and its probably best to keep my mouth shut. I don't pray, I stand if they do, I bow my head if they do out of respect.

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2020, 10:20:35 AM »
Many US Church's fly the flag in appreciation that they have religious freedom in the country to worship as they will. This is especially true with Russian and Ukrainian Orthodox Churches.

As far as flags in America. Yes you will see a fair amount of US flags but you will also see in front of houses many Irish or Swedish or Norwegian flags or Minnesota Vikings flags. I think that in America we are big on symbolic representations of who we are. I for some reason have shit with the Union Jack on it. Other than I am a pretty big fan of punk music, I have no idea why other than I think it looks cool.

America is a fairly patriotic society. More than most, I believe. I will say that many of the countries that pretend not to be kind of have the Socrates view on the matter. "Yah were not so great but you guys are worse." even if they don't say it out loud. They aren't big on pumping up their people and country but are more than ok to point out where other countries are doing things worse.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2020, 03:49:46 PM »
Just because aussies and kiwis don't fly their flag and don't show their love for their country in flamboyant displays doesn't mean we aren't proud of our countries or "patriotic", which is a word that is rarely used by normal people here and has taken on negative connotations.

The only time we really show our national pride is in sporting contests. Americans don't see this much, because our (Oz & NZ's) biggest International contests are against countries like England, South Africa, India and each other. The only time we really come up against the US is in the pool at the Olympics.

Australians don't have the view that "we're not so great". We feel that we live in a great country and are better off than most of the world. Yes, we can improve a lot of things and eventually we will get there.

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2020, 03:27:25 PM »
Just because aussies and kiwis don't fly their flag and don't show their love for their country in flamboyant displays doesn't mean we aren't proud of our countries or "patriotic"

Does your PM maul the flag like the two are going down with the Titanic?

So please. A little respect when it comes to patriotic fervor. ;-)