Author Topic: Forum Crash of 2020  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Crash of 2020
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2020, 07:03:22 PM »
- There will be minor annoyances as we recover some more items, and many of the forum modifications are missing (like posts, as an example)

Will the "like" function come back? If so, will previous "likes" of post made before the crash be restored?

Possibly.  The data seems to still be available in the database.  When we find a like post mod that's maintained, we'll have to see how difficult it is to ETL the date into the new mod.
#non-belief denialist

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2020, 08:05:43 PM »
Full disclosure: part of our deliberation process in deciding what to reimplement right away is the knowledge that there is a new version of our forum software that is likely to have its final release candidate build released within a couple of months, and it will incorporate many of the functions that are currently or were previously being carried out by extensions (including post liking). We are likely to have to put in significant effort migrating the data at that time.  We are also going to have to create a new theme because the theming engine is being completely changed.  We therefore don’t want to duplicate work that will have to be done again in a few months’ time. Personally, that means I’m not eager to put a lot of effort into fixing small issues with themes that will become useless when we upgrade.

Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2020, 09:01:25 PM »
My only request with new themes is that there is an option to make the read area fixed-width. I find it extremely fatiguing when the lines of text are too long, and it would probably result in my reduced participation in the forum. And that would be a real shame.
Self-described nerd.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2020, 09:22:54 PM »
Full disclosure: part of our deliberation process in deciding what to reimplement right away is the knowledge that there is a new version of our forum software that is likely to have its final release candidate build released within a couple of months, and it will incorporate many of the functions that are currently or were previously being carried out by extensions (including post liking). We are likely to have to put in significant effort migrating the data at that time.  We are also going to have to create a new theme because the theming engine is being completely changed.  We therefore don’t want to duplicate work that will have to be done again in a few months’ time. Personally, that means I’m not eager to put a lot of effort into fixing small issues with themes that will become useless when we upgrade.

I'm just glad that the forum is back up and operating. Many thanks to you and Belgarath for that, and anyone else who has helped with it. :love:
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2020, 09:46:37 PM »
My only request with new themes is that there is an option to make the read area fixed-width. I find it extremely fatiguing when the lines of text are too long, and it would probably result in my reduced participation in the forum. And that would be a real shame.

If the whole thing is going to be renewed and the old one thrown out, my request is support for a dark theme similar to the current one. Bright websites are (literally) migraine inducing.

(I'm no css/html hero, but I know a little bit, so if I can help port the existing dark theme to the new framework somehow, let me know.)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 09:50:11 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2020, 08:47:41 AM »

If the whole thing is going to be renewed and the old one thrown out, my request is support for a dark theme similar to the current one. Bright websites are (literally) migraine inducing.

(I'm no css/html hero, but I know a little bit, so if I can help port the existing dark theme to the new framework somehow, let me know.)

Be careful, you might just be taken up on the offer :)

#non-belief denialist

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • View Profile
    • My Page
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2020, 08:54:03 AM »
I'm with our bovine lycanthropic friend here in preference for dark sites.

I also concur that you shouldn't put a ton of work on this if you're just going to have to redo it in a couple of months.  I miss the like button, but wouldn't hesitate to wait a couple of months for it to save the trouble of repeated work.  I get pissy here at work when I have to build a feature knowing I'm going to scrap it in a couple of months...and I'm getting paid for that work. 

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2020, 09:17:47 AM »
I like the like button also. The Tesla Motors Club board has a whole row of buttons. From (defective) memory, they are Like, Dislike, Love, Informative, and Funny. I may be leaving one or two out. It's nice to have. But none of that really matters compared to having the forum operative.

Oh, and I find dark theme to be unreadable, if that means white print against a black background. I use the default theme and prefer it. I can adjust the brightness of my computer screen to what is ideal for me.
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2020, 09:20:51 AM »
I expect that the new default theme will be a dark one, though we will give people the option of a lighter theme. The current theme was designed to match the SGU's previous site, and the color scheme was chosen for that purpose.  Frankly, I'm not sure how we're going to try to fit in with their new monstrosity of a site.  At least the previous site had a consistent design and color scheme.

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2020, 09:33:45 AM »
I think you should just limp the site as is untill the new update. No reason to do double work for nothing. 

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2020, 11:02:32 AM »
I think you should just limp the site as is untill the new update. No reason to do double work for nothing.

We're currently discussing in PM's what we can do within our schedules.  Right now, we're contemplating just cutting over to the RC.  We may do a bit of testing to see how feasible it is.  Suffice it to say, we know that the like and ignore functionality is a pain point and we're seeing what we can do within our schedules.

#non-belief denialist

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2020, 11:23:56 AM »
Am I the only one using the SGUwhey theme?  I don't hear anyone talk about it, but I like it as a compromise between the headache-inducing white and the eye-straining dark.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2020, 11:29:08 AM »
Am I the only one using the SGUwhey theme?

There are currently 21 users using SGU_whey, 22 using SGU_curd, and 1 user using the Twitter theme.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2020, 01:59:22 PM »

We're currently discussing in PM's what we can do within our schedules.  Right now, we're contemplating just cutting over to the RC.  We may do a bit of testing to see how feasible it is.  Suffice it to say, we know that the like and ignore functionality is a pain point and we're seeing what we can do within our schedules.

Rally? Of all the forum features, is the ignore function (which I have never used, don't even know how to) a major sought-after feature?

(Not directed at you specifically, just a general reflection.)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2020, 02:21:40 PM »
Yes, yes it is.