Author Topic: Forum Crash of 2020  (Read 1894 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Crash of 2020
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2020, 02:40:12 PM »
I think you should just limp the site as is untill the new update. No reason to do double work for nothing. 

I agree with this 100%. The forum is doing what really matters: Allowing us to have discussions. Everything else is just niceties. It's entirely fine and functional now. I don't think that Belgarath and The Latinist should have to do additional work when the forum is just a few months from being switched over to something different that would require all that work to be re-done.

Take a break, spend time with your families, have a nap, whatever. Then when the new software is in place, spend what time you're willing and able and comfortable with to make it nice. Or leave it bare-bones because it's having a place to have discussions that really matters. Themes and ignores and likes are all secondary. They're nice to have, but secondary.

And again, many thanks for getting the forum back up and for keeping it running.
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline HighPockets

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2020, 03:30:17 PM »
Yes, yes it is.

If you like this forum now, learn how to put the politics sub on ignore and relish in the science, pop culture and games!

BTW, how is AQB dealing without a like button? I feel the most for her.
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2020, 03:41:39 PM »
Yes, yes it is.

If you like this forum now, learn how to put the politics sub on ignore and relish in the science, pop culture and games!

Have you put the politics sub on ignore? Is it possible to put in on ignore, as opposed to just not go into it, which is of course very possible? I do know of some people who mostly don't bother go into it.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2020, 04:18:26 PM »
Yes, yes it is.

Have you put the politics sub on ignore? Is it possible to put in on ignore, as opposed to just not go into it, which is of course very possible? I do know of some people who mostly don't bother go into it.

lots of people put politics and other sections on ignore as well as people. If someone is not responding to all your comments they mite have you on ignore (let that develop your paranoia a bit  >:D ) you can still open them if you want but this serves as a reminder not too. You can still see their quotes which is the downfall of the system.   

I could live without it but I think the forum is a better place with it. We can certainly deal without for a few months or whatever it takes.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2020, 05:42:47 PM »
If someone is not responding to all your comments they mite have you on ignore (let that develop your paranoia a bit  >:D )

Mooohn!

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2020, 05:53:53 PM »
If someone is not responding to all your comments they mite have you on ignore (let that develop your paranoia a bit  >:D )

That comment was chaotic evil. I approve.  >:D
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2020, 05:59:53 PM »
In a way, it'd be better to think that someone who never replies has put you on ignore, instead of them  reading everything and deciding to not reply each and every time.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2020, 06:13:49 PM »
Placing sub forums on ignore keeps them from showing up in one’s new and unread posts lists, which is the primary way I interact with the board. I long ago did that to the whole media subforum.  But far more important to me is the ability to ignore individual posters. Ignoring a handful of toxic personalities makes the whole forum a much more pleasant place to be.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2020, 07:43:41 PM »
I, too, mostly use the "Unread Posts" button, so I'm seldom aware of which forum a post is in. I never use the Ignore feature, but I do ignore most threads because the title just doesn't interest me. And I skip over some posters or don't bother responding to them. Others I mostly ignore but read occasionally and only respond if something really strikes me.
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2020, 09:08:11 PM »
Am I the only one using the SGUwhey theme?  I don't hear anyone talk about it, but I like it as a compromise between the headache-inducing white and the eye-straining dark.

I use Whey, because it's got a fixed-width text area.
Self-described nerd.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2020, 09:13:27 PM »
Placing sub forums on ignore keeps them from showing up in one’s new and unread posts lists, which is the primary way I interact with the board. I long ago did that to the whole media subforum.  But far more important to me is the ability to ignore individual posters. Ignoring a handful of toxic personalities makes the whole forum a much more pleasant place to be.

I do this extensively, though I put individual threads on ignore rather than entire subforums. I'm really seeing now how many threads I've ignored in the past!
Self-described nerd.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2020, 09:57:58 AM »

I do this extensively, though I put individual threads on ignore rather than entire subforums. I'm really seeing now how many threads I've ignored in the past!

I do both. Mostly individual threads except for Media, which I've ignored entirely.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2020, 05:21:41 PM »

That is not a reasonable criteria. I don't respond to most stuff that most people write.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2020, 05:24:20 PM »

I don't interact with the forum that way. With regard to individuals, maybe I should try it. I would rather that certain behaviors were moderated and sanctioned, but since that is not happen maybe the "ignore" function is a least bad option. Though for some reason it does feel like cheating, or covering up a problem, fro my point of view at least.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2020, 06:11:51 AM »
Spoiler

[close]
That comment was chaotic evil. I approve.  >:D

The word you are looking for is troll:

Someone who deliberatly pisses people off online to get a reaction

In this thread, werecow and John Albert have been engaged in trollish behavior.