Author Topic: Language fixation by the more insane conspiracy theorists?  (Read 2326 times)

Offline showmeonthedollwhereto

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/F6YW8mRKqZ6QY9ag8
    • View Profile
Re: Language fixation by the more insane conspiracy theorists?
« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2019, 01:15:49 PM »
This "language fixation" is evident among some cranks and crackpots, though. I cited Jordan Maxwell as an example but there are others.

Sent from my A502DL using Tapatalk

Offline Marasmusine

• Off to a Start
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 23, 2019, 10:42:36 AM »
"Coincidence theorist"... I like that.

I'm going to make it my tag line.
Here's a quick test that may indicate whether or not you are a coincidence theorist:

If it is raining outside and you get wet when you go outside are those two facts related or are they coincidence?

They are related because the one thing caused the other.  However, just because one thing comes before another does not mean it caused the other.  Determining if one thing causes another can get quite complex and is not as simple as one might think.

For example, let's say for the sake of discussion (you don't have to agree to this, just assume it for a second) that vaccines don't cause autism, that the symptoms of autism appear at a certain age, and that a specific vaccine is given just before that age.  If all these assumptions were true (again, I'm not asking you to agree that they are), then it sure would look like vaccines can sometimes cause autism even though they don't.  We would have to do complex, rigorous, unbiased studies to determine whether the vaccines are increasing the risk of autism or whether it just looks like it because of the timing.

I am using the above example only to point out that as skeptics, we don't automatically assume that if an event comes before another event that it caused the event.  With rain and wetness, it is obvious.  With other things, not so much.

TL;DR I am a coincidence theorist because, unless there's a reason to infer causation, I default to coincidence.
But what if it was only raining lightly and you had an umbrella but your neighbor's sprinkler system is what soaked you? You didn't display much critical thinking when you examined the parameters of my coincidence theorist test, which is evidence that you are in fact a coincidence theorist. The test has many layers.

Based on the information you originally gave, that the rain is making you wet is the most likely explanation. The sprinkler system scenario is less likely, vastly less likely.

It's nice to be able to think of unlikely explanations, but you asked a binary question: Is it related or a coincidence?  You could have asked "What are the possible explanations?" but your goal was to trick us. Given only the binary choice, it is correct to go with the most reasonable explanation. Why would you leap to any other conclusion? There's no such thing as a "coincidence theorist": it is proper sceptical and scientific thinking to ask "could this be a coincidence?" whilst being aware of other possibilities.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #122 on: December 23, 2019, 11:16:13 AM »
I noticed an "everything is a conspiracy" back there a few pages, regarding the Manhattan Project. This is why I go with "conspiracy advocates/advocacy" rather than "conspiracy theory".
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 26, 2019, 10:06:47 AM »
I have been parsing this thread and if you take every 5th word, ignoring articles, and take a letter from each of those words, it proves that the devil exists.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 19, 2020, 02:00:54 PM »
Chloroquine anagrams:

Clique Honor
Or Quench Oil
Conquer Hi Lo
He Con Liquor