Author Topic: General COVID-19 Discussion  (Read 11978 times)

gmalivuk and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
Re: Corona Virus Disease 19
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 03:42:13 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/health/san-francisco-coronavirus-emergency-declaration/index.html?fbclid=IwAR0nLnRBHUwPNOp_imciukIScm0rGzPtsDLVLOhWSrIpjG0X0jW36NyLN2Q

San Francisco's mayor on Tuesday declared a local emergency to make it easier for the populous city and international travel hub to combat novel coronavirus if it comes -- even while stressing that it isn't there yet.

Online gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2020, 04:24:19 PM »
China released some data:

Those over-50 rates...

Maybe gloves will come back into fashion?
For comparison, here's the mean case mortality rate estimates from the 2018-2019 flu season in the US:

0-4: 0.007%
5-17: 0.003%
18-49: 0.02%
50-64: 0.06%
65+: 0.8%

And among people sick enough to visit a doctor (this would be a closer comparison if we assumed the total number of infections is greater than the number of confirmed cases because many people only have minor symptoms and haven't been checked):

0-4: 0.01%
5-17: 0.005%
18-49: 0.06% (Probably a bigger jump than above primarily because working-age people are on average much more likely to just power through it.)
50-64: 0.1%
65+: 1.5%
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2020, 04:34:28 PM »
Now the news is implying that bearded people will be less safe by promoting a graphic that has nothing to do with COVID-19 or face masks which don't work anyway.

This is for dealing with respirators in any situation but I assure you there are no lack of razors at the hospitals should you need one.

I'm not worried about the virus i'm worried about the news making it worse and its already happening.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2020, 04:37:36 PM »
My mask fits over my Van Dyke. I had to trim it a little, but it works.
Self-described nerd.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • When a file comes along, you must zip it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2020, 05:42:55 PM »
Oh boy

Article: Trump Has Sabotaged America’s Coronavirus Response
Date: 2020 JAN 31

For the United States, the answers are especially worrying because the government has intentionally rendered itself incapable. In 2018, the Trump administration fired the government’s entire pandemic response chain of command, including the White House management infrastructure. In numerous phone calls and emails with key agencies across the U.S. government, the only consistent response I encountered was distressed confusion. If the United States still has a clear chain of command for pandemic response, the White House urgently needs to clarify what it is—not just for the public but for the government itself, which largely finds itself in the dark.

So, America's improvising on-the-fly.  That's certainly less than ideal.
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2020, 09:23:49 AM »
Oh boy

Article: Trump Has Sabotaged America’s Coronavirus Response
Date: 2020 JAN 31

For the United States, the answers are especially worrying because the government has intentionally rendered itself incapable. In 2018, the Trump administration fired the government’s entire pandemic response chain of command, including the White House management infrastructure. In numerous phone calls and emails with key agencies across the U.S. government, the only consistent response I encountered was distressed confusion. If the United States still has a clear chain of command for pandemic response, the White House urgently needs to clarify what it is—not just for the public but for the government itself, which largely finds itself in the dark.

So, America's improvising on-the-fly.  That's certainly less than ideal.

Don't worry the response is in good hands:

https://twitter.com/NewGopforUSA/status/1232891149737697280
Tinkety tonk old fruit & down with the Nazis

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2020, 09:54:34 AM »
What do smart folks here think of projections that up to 40% of the global population may become infected?
I like my odds of survival but this current situation seems to be more of an economic impact issue?

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero twice, but not this time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2020, 11:09:36 AM »
This is a 45 minute documentary that will scare the pants off of you and make you mad as hell too.

Amend and resubmit.

Online Sawyer

• Well Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2020, 02:07:11 PM »
Goddamn it, this whole pandemic fear is just a staged hoax to force me to drop one of my dozen Earwolf shows and listen to actual science podcasts again.

Looks at latest episode of This Week in Virology for information on how to stay safe
Runtime: 2h 31min
Dies of corona infection while listening to Comedy Bang Bang instead.

Latest episode does look good though, I'll try to power through it eventually:
http://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-588/

Offline CarbShark

• "I ain't no doctor with degrees" - Think
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2020, 02:14:10 PM »

My wife teaches parent education and two local community colleges, and is director at one. Some of their students are in a panic. In one case, a family was visiting China and returned and was in voluntary quarantine for two week, which ended a week ago, with no symptoms, and they have been cleared to return to daily life by the department of public health. In another there were reports on CNN and their web page that the virus was spreading in classrooms.

The school has been telling people to go to the CDC for any and all information and guidance about the virus, and ignore all other news (and fake news) sites.

Good advice.

<a href="https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html">

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) | CDC</a>

Coronavirus Disease 2019
CDC is closely monitoring the novel coronavirus outbreak.
... and Donald Trump is president of the United States

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• When a file comes along, you must zip it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2020, 09:46:57 AM »
US outbreak on fast-forward:

Article: A ‘Corrupt’ Response and ‘Cover-Up’: Trump Admin Appears to Have Sparked Coronavirus Outbreak in U.S.
Date: 2020 FEB 27

A pair of stories broke late Thursday afternoon concerning a Health and Human Services (HHS) whistleblower with a fatal series of charges that, if true, means the Coronavirus outbreak in the United States was caused by the ineptitude of the Trump administration.

First reported on as an exclusive by The Washington Post–and quickly followed up on by The New York Times–both stories note that an HHS whistleblower filed an official complaint with the Office of the Special Counsel after alleging that she was retaliated against for voicing concerns. The whistleblower, who is seeking protection, is reportedly an award-winning expert in her field with decades of relevant experience with impeccable performance ratings.

The complaints being made by that whistleblower-expert:

(1) U.S. workers were sent to the epicenter of the Coronavirus outbreak without proper training or protective gear; (2) those same employees were not tested for the Coronavirus; (3) many of those employees returned home on a commercial flight; (4) after raising concerns about the wisdom of 1-3, she was allegedly reassigned and faced termination for speaking up through the chain-of-command.

... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Online Sawyer

• Well Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2020, 10:32:11 AM »
I doubt there's been enough research in the last 3 years to be a major factor in fighting this outbreak, but this is just a friendly reminder to everyone here that gain-of-function research is good, and people opposing it are hindering our understanding of zoonotic pathogens.  This was a big controversy in virology a while back and we lost about 5 years of progress because some jerks over-hyped the odds of a laboratory based outbreak.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2017/12/feds-lift-gain-function-research-pause-offer-guidance

I realize even posting this article is already a bit of a distortion, because it gives way too much credence to Marc Lipsitch and Michael Osterholm's complaints.  If anyone wants more context I can find better sources.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero twice, but not this time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2020, 03:19:33 PM »
I'm now getting scam solicitations to fund COVID-19 research with Bitcoin.  Unbelievable.

This e-plate form is for timely intervention due to the holiday extension of our public Institute/Banks not working, it is really affecting us but together, we must stop the virus all our research groups have been working round the clock to find a vaccine.

Please kindly find our Bitcoin account detail below for your donation and support:
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Desert Fox

• Planetary Skeptic
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • View Profile
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2020, 04:44:30 AM »
John Oliver has a take on it

Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain

Offline Eli Winsor

• Brand New
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2020, 09:30:49 AM »
I was wondering if anyone could guide me to a modicum understanding for this virus with regards to why it feels like there is a global disproportionate response to it...

To the best of my understanding the virus is on par with season influenza. The R0 value is low. Attributed deaths are predominantly among the vulnerable, and from what I understand similar to season influenza.

So why does it feel that the world's response is disproportionate? There are mass closing of factories, significant limitation of travel from infected countries, forced quarantines. We don't do this for other comparable viruses. Is this response disproportionate to actual concerns for virus, or am I missing missing something?!

In my 40 orbits of the sun I don't recall a response such as this, and especially for something that doesn't appear overly threatening.

Thanks for the help,