Author Topic: General COVID-19 Discussion  (Read 11187 times)

BilLumberg, Tassie Dave, CarbShark, bachfiend, Morvis13 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
Re: General COVID-19 Discussion
« Reply #1095 on: March 26, 2020, 12:57:25 AM »
My coaching income is now 10% of what it was last week. I'm OK though as last year I started on one of my retirement pensions. I'm extra lucky that it started last year and not this year as my pension would have been significantly less.

I'm in the middle of the process of getting a new prosthetic leg but got told yesterday at the hospital the amputee clinic has been closed as they need the facilities for the expected influx of COVID patients.

In Australia getting a beer, a pie and a haircut are considered essential but getting a prosthetic leg is not.

If you could get a prosthetic leg at the bar, you probably could; unfortunately, you have to go to the hospital, where they need the space for people who need it to stay alive.

ETA: See the post just above.

I went to the supermarket this morning to buy provisions for the dog.  I was bemused the Smokemart (Australia’s number one provider of smoking products) next to Woolworths was open (apparently an essential business), but the ‘health’ food shop next door was closed.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück

Offline Desert Fox

• Planetary Skeptic
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • View Profile
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #1096 on: March 26, 2020, 01:34:07 AM »
I went to the supermarket this morning to buy provisions for the dog.  I was bemused the Smokemart (Australia’s number one provider of smoking products) next to Woolworths was open (apparently an essential business), but the ‘health’ food shop next door was closed.

I bought a 50 lb bag of dog food a couple of weeks back but have not yet had to open it
Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain

Offline Desert Fox

• Planetary Skeptic
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • View Profile
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #1097 on: March 26, 2020, 01:49:29 AM »
This is interesting, an antibody test

Useful for mass testing
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 01:54:09 AM by Desert Fox »
Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: March 26, 2020, 02:02:29 AM »
My coaching income is now 10% of what it was last week. I'm OK though as last year I started on one of my retirement pensions. I'm extra lucky that it started last year and not this year as my pension would have been significantly less.

I'm in the middle of the process of getting a new prosthetic leg but got told yesterday at the hospital the amputee clinic has been closed as they need the facilities for the expected influx of COVID patients.

In Australia getting a beer, a pie and a haircut are considered essential but getting a prosthetic leg is not.

If you could get a prosthetic leg at the bar, you probably could; unfortunately, you have to go to the hospital, where they need the space for people who need it to stay alive.

ETA: See the post just above.

I get that. Doing it at the hospital isn't a requirement. But closing it without coming up with a suitable alternative is pretty lame.

Indeed doing it at any sort of workshop (e.g. metal workshop), garage, anything with a bench or two, some tools and a few bits of equipment for cutting, grinding, screwing etc is all that's really needed. The various components and supplies can be in transportable boxes.

It should be relocated. I hope they come up with a reasonable solution.

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: March 26, 2020, 02:06:07 AM »

I bought a 50 lb bag of dog food a couple of weeks back but have not yet had to open it

In case the pandemic develops the same way as the Spanish influenza, make certain that your dog(s) have access to the dog food.  There were Alaskan settlements which were wiped out by the ‘flu, and it wasn’t possible to determine how many people had died based on the body parts the dogs hadn’t consumed.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: March 26, 2020, 08:33:26 AM »
The Grocery stores are installing plexiglass shields at the checkout lanes which seems like a good idea.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/trending/coronavirus-more-supermarkets-installing-plexiglass-dividers-checkout-stands/H62RRJS2OVFQHDOEG55SMIXL4U/?gPN0Yh&fbclid=IwAR1YFYDOAte9vU4hRof3Lz_4SrNo26JIo3vv_eaEfzTNq5Ot6_BIwC5NtXQ

Florida-based grocery chain Publix announced it will install plexiglass barriers to protect its cashiers, joining other retailers that are installing the shields to protect employees and customers from a coronavirus infection.

The supermarket chain said that all 1,200 locations should have the plexiglass partitions installed at the cash registers, customer service desks and pharmacies within two weeks.

“We’re taking extra precautions for the well-being of our customers and associates,” said Maria Brous, a spokeswoman for Publix Super Markets Inc.

Publix has joined its biggest competitors, Kroger Co. and Walmart Inc., in installing the so-called “sneeze guards.”

The article also mentions that some stores are asking that customers refrain from bringing in reusable bags.  Thats an interesting 180. I'm wondering if we will find out that reusable bags may not be the best direction to go for sanitary reasons.

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: March 26, 2020, 09:32:29 AM »
Something interesting that is happening in my country, Dominican Republic.

New cases are growing but it is expected that this growth reported here is not completely accurate. The tests cost $100 USD, and as such some people are worried that the confirmed cases that are being reported are predominately from the high-middle class and wealthy, which can be corroborated by the spread of news through the medias as reports lack information on the lower class families. 100 dollars is about 1/4 of the working class income, and most people that would suffer the disease would likely not pay the test. This would mean that the reports are going to be highly misleading.

They recently made the tests free for the elderly and the anybody with a preexisting condition that risks complications from Covid-19 at least. But without a valid view of the extent of the infection, it might allow for the spread to go unnoticed until it is very late.

It does seem, however, that the DR's government is doing it's best to slow the curve, although many of the populace seem to not follow much of the instructions.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: March 26, 2020, 09:41:53 AM »
Well, just to give an example, my family went out for a walk yesterday afternoon and a 60-odd year old woman came right up to us with her dog--walking on the wrong side of the road to do so--asking if it was okay for our kids to pet her dog but not really waiting for us to respond. She was just being friendly and sociable, and in normal circumstances it would've been fine. But she was well within the range of social distance I was comfortable with in the middle of a pandemic. Some people just don't get it and will invade your space in ways that you don't expect and can't necessarily control or avoid.

I live in a "hofje" (a sort of almhouse, with a big shared front yard surrounded by little houses). There's actually two next to each other, with the gardens separated by a hedge. Sometimes tourists visit us. I was working in the front yard yesterday, when an 83 year old man walked into the hofje on the other side of the hedge, rang a door bell, then starts a quasi lengthy conversation about how his wife used to live there in the 80s. The guy who opened the door sounded clearly uncomfortable and tried to warn the guy, who then said something like "oh, yes, the virus, yes. I've heard it's probably not the flu, you know". Some people are definitely not getting it. Hell, my 69 year old severely asthmatic mother went to the market "because she was curious" last week. But I think it's starting to sink in a bit more now.
Mooohn!

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: March 26, 2020, 10:17:28 AM »
What are folks hearing about their monthly gyn membership fees?

My gym send me an email telling me that my membership is extended by the length of time the gyms are closed.

I was in the gym business and this is obviously the right thing to do, no question.

But the gym owners are going to be in a huge bind as their fixed costs continue unabated and income drops to roughly zero. Bills for rent, loan payments, insurance, lease payments, franchise fees and the like will continue to roll in unabated. For many owners it’s a relatively small margin enterprise, and some may not survive without help of some kind.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: March 26, 2020, 10:29:00 AM »
The AstronomyCast podcast today was spent talking about the virus and, mostly, how it is affecting their lives (Pamela's and Fraser's). They mentioned that many of the fatalities are linked to prior health issues. Specifically mentioned were smoking, air pollution, and (this one was new to me) high blood sugar. In China where a lot of people smoke and the air pollution is extreme, more old people died than young people. In the U.S. we're seeing a lot of young people die, and the speculation was that the obesity/diabetes epidemic is the cause of skewing mortality towards the young.
We are NOT seeing 'a lot' of young people die.  Yes, some young people are dying, but there is no evidence that it is 'a lot' compared to other locations.
#non-belief denialist

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: March 26, 2020, 10:53:46 AM »
But the gym owners are going to be in a huge bind as their fixed costs continue unabated and income drops to roughly zero. Bills for rent, loan payments, insurance, lease payments, franchise fees and the like will continue to roll in unabated. For many owners it’s a relatively small margin enterprise, and some may not survive without help of some kind.

My son takes trampoline classes at a local gymnastics studio. I estimate that size of the space at 10,000 sqft. Let's lowball the lease at $.50/mo/sqft, that's $5,000 just in rent. I have no idea what insurance costs for a facility like that. Not to mention the owner-instructors' cost of living. And they will have utilities, perhaps loans for equipment, etc. I can't imagine that their expenses are less than $10k/mo. Right now they're officially closed until April 24 and will be extending memberships to cover the missed time, so that's at least a month of revenues completely lost.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Online CarbShark

• "I ain't no doctor with degrees" - Think
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: March 26, 2020, 11:49:26 AM »
The AstronomyCast podcast today was spent talking about the virus and, mostly, how it is affecting their lives (Pamela's and Fraser's). They mentioned that many of the fatalities are linked to prior health issues. Specifically mentioned were smoking, air pollution, and (this one was new to me) high blood sugar. In China where a lot of people smoke and the air pollution is extreme, more old people died than young people. In the U.S. we're seeing a lot of young people die, and the speculation was that the obesity/diabetes epidemic is the cause of skewing mortality towards the young.
We are NOT seeing 'a lot' of young people die.  Yes, some young people are dying, but there is no evidence that it is 'a lot' compared to other locations.

This is true. We are seeing a lot of cases of young people with the virus; a good number hospitalized with severe cases; a good number on respirators. But not a lot of young people dying.

Last night the local news reported that the youngest victim in California who died with disease very likely died "from another cause" and the CDC was looking at the case.

That case had been reported as someone under 20 with no other illness or condition to make them higher risk, so it had been quite alarming.

Also, it's reported that there are two strains of Coronavirus and one strain (Italy; East Coast of US) is associated with more severe symptoms than the other (West Coast of US, parts of Asia).

But both are deadly.
... and Donald Trump is president of the United States

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: March 26, 2020, 12:45:51 PM »
I'm pondering how my paddling the OC2 (two-person outrigger canoe) with my buddy fits in with the stay-at-home and social-distancing orders. There are at last report 9 confirmed cases on Maui. Exercise is essential to both mental and physical health. There's actually no need for us ever to be closer than six feet to each other. It is one more social interaction, but nearly nothing compared to the necessary trip to the grocery store once a week or so. I am almost completely isolated otherwise. My only close contact with anyone is at the grocery store, and paddling with my buddy if we continue that. My renter is a doctor and has said he thinks the OC2 paddling is fine.
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Online CarbShark

• "I ain't no doctor with degrees" - Think
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: March 26, 2020, 12:56:43 PM »
... and Donald Trump is president of the United States

Offline Desert Fox

• Planetary Skeptic
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • View Profile
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #1109 on: March 26, 2020, 02:15:01 PM »
https://twitter.com/AndrewFeinberg/status/1243234024388165634

Andrew Feinberg
@AndrewFeinberg
·
21m
NEW: @realDonaldTrump
 has sent this letter to the nation’s governors. It says his administration is developing “guidelines” for lifting social distancing restrictions based on “expanded testing capability” (which doesn’t appear to exist).

- Mark Twain