Author Topic: General COVID-19 Discussion  (Read 11181 times)

Tassie Dave, bachfiend, CarbShark, Morvis13 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
Re: General COVID-19 Discussion
« Reply #1110 on: March 26, 2020, 02:20:20 PM »
What are folks hearing about their monthly gyn membership fees?

My gym send me an email telling me that my membership is extended by the length of time the gyms are closed.

I was in the gym business and this is obviously the right thing to do, no question.

But the gym owners are going to be in a huge bind as their fixed costs continue unabated and income drops to roughly zero. Bills for rent, loan payments, insurance, lease payments, franchise fees and the like will continue to roll in unabated. For many owners it’s a relatively small margin enterprise, and some may not survive without help of some kind.

I pay my gym membership 12 months in advance, so the gym owners have the use of the money for up to 12 months without having to provide a service, and I also attend the gym during the day when the gym’s quiet and hardly used.  It’s possible the gym owners could go bankrupt, and I lose my money.

I regard daily exercise to be very important for health and well-being.  I don’t know whether a ‘shelter in place’ policy is going to be instituted where I live.  My exercise currently are very long bike rides - I can guarantee that I maintain at least 1.5 metre distancing to everyone else save when I’m passing walkers or runners on the dual use paths on the coast.  In some cities it makes obvious sense.  In New York City for example, with most people living in apartments, so there’s close contact in elevators, stairwells and streets.

I’ve ordered a stationary bike to use if and when a ‘shelter in place’ is ordered.  It was supposed to be delivered, but now (after enquiring after not hearing from the sellers) I’ve found I’m supposed to go to their warehouse, and pick it up myself.  I don’t own a car.  And I’m putting myself unnecessarily at risk, albeit minimal risk.  I’m thinking about cycling to the warehouse, accepting delivery of the stationary bike, getting a taxi to transport the stationary bike home, while I race the taxi home on my bike.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: March 26, 2020, 03:19:31 PM »
Went to the store yesterday.

Everything was full, and well stocked, except for the toilet paper aisle (which includes Kleenex and paper towels) and the candy aisle.

Maybe all that sugar will give people a reason to use all that TP.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: March 26, 2020, 04:04:33 PM »
... I pay my gym membership 12 months in advance, so the gym owners have the use of the money for up to 12 months without having to provide a service, and I also attend the gym during the day when the gym’s quiet and hardly used.  It’s possible the gym owners could go bankrupt, and I lose my money.

While it's true that the gym does not have to provide a service while it's closed, the service it provides during normal operation accounts for a minuscule part of its expenses. Nearly all the gym's expenses are overhead that they have to pay whether anybody comes to the gym or not.

OTOH, most of their income comes from people who never actually use the gym. ;D
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: March 26, 2020, 05:11:48 PM »
... I pay my gym membership 12 months in advance, so the gym owners have the use of the money for up to 12 months without having to provide a service, and I also attend the gym during the day when the gym’s quiet and hardly used.  It’s possible the gym owners could go bankrupt, and I lose my money.

While it's true that the gym does not have to provide a service while it's closed, the service it provides during normal operation accounts for a minuscule part of its expenses. Nearly all the gym's expenses are overhead that they have to pay whether anybody comes to the gym or not.

OTOH, most of their income comes from people who never actually use the gym. ;D

Too true.  Hopefully, people won’t get out of the habit of going to the gym.  I go to one of these 24/7 gyms with 24 hour access.  Except now.  I wouldn’t be allowed to go even if I go at 3 am and I’m the only person in the gym.  (Cinemas are closed too.  I usually go to the cinema at times when I’m the only person in the cinema - although the cinema owners would hardly make a profit from me, let alone cover expenses).   Usually people pay weekly with a direct debit to a credit card.  I prefer to pay upfront 12 months in advance to give me a tiny bit more motivation.

I’m still trying to work out how I’ll get the stationary bike.  Perhaps I can get a taxi driver to go to the warehouse, pick it up and bring it to my home.  And arrange with the warehouse to have it ready to load it into the taxi?  Selling my car on the Monday might have been a mistake, although the car I had was so small, I doubt the stationary bike would have fitted.

Restrictions in Australia are being slowly ramped up as the number of infections increase.  The authorities should be going aggressive and early with the restrictions to eradicate the infection early rather than ‘flatten the curve.’  It would save lives, and be less economically damaging.  It would be a pause for a month or two instead of a recession for 12-18 months.  The recession is going to be so severe, it should actually be called a depression.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: March 26, 2020, 05:17:25 PM »
In Australia getting a beer, a pie and a haircut are considered essential but getting a prosthetic leg is not.

Having bottle shops declared essential right as I'm trying to give up alcohol sucks.
Self-described nerd.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: March 26, 2020, 05:51:47 PM »
In Australia getting a beer, a pie and a haircut are considered essential but getting a prosthetic leg is not.

Having bottle shops declared essential right as I'm trying to give up alcohol sucks.

Not that it applies to you specifically but it led me to recognise it does make community support groups, e.g. AA, very difficult to run. Yes you can do some via video conferencing tech but that's not going to cut it for many who need to feel the safety of a set space and known group, where online they don't really have any control over who can hear them. It must be highly anxious time for such people.

Offline Desert Fox

• Planetary Skeptic
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • View Profile
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #1116 on: March 26, 2020, 06:09:19 PM »
Wonderful news, Donald Trump should be proud. . . .We are #1

Spoiler
In the number of covid-19 cases. That is with serious under reporting.
[close]
Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: March 26, 2020, 06:18:21 PM »
We have 40,000 cases no longer eligible for testing because they only display 1 symptom.

Great job neolibs.

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: March 26, 2020, 06:48:52 PM »
We have 40,000 cases no longer eligible for testing because they only display 1 symptom.

Great job neolibs.

I am seeing a lot of backlash over who can and can't get tested. Celebrities, politicians, sports people etc with zero symptoms are getting tested, but Joe Average with 'some' symptoms that may or may not be a normal cold can't get tested because there are not enough test kits yet. They are just told to self-isolate until they get better or wait until it gets worse  :-\

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: March 26, 2020, 06:56:03 PM »
My son takes trampoline classes at a local gymnastics studio. I estimate that size of the space at 10,000 sqft. Let's lowball the lease at $.50/mo/sqft, that's $5,000 just in rent.

Our rent at a gym in Hollywood, FL, was in the area of $22,000/month, with occasional charges for “Common Area Maintenance” on top of that.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: March 26, 2020, 07:04:35 PM »

Great job neolibs.

I am seeing a lot of backlash over who can and can't get tested. Celebrities, politicians, sports people etc with zero symptoms are getting tested, but Joe Average with 'some' symptoms that may or may not be a normal cold can't get tested because there are not enough test kits yet. They are just told to self-isolate until they get better or wait until it gets worse  :-\
Yep.
Our government is rolling over for any business that claims to be essential.
They completely failed in preparation for a major health crisis.
They seem to be in denial about how bad it is and keep doing stunts to distract like the house giving applause to health workers.

We voted the fucks out but they just wouldnt form a government with an actual leftist party so the two traditional enemies joined forces to squeeze them out and now people are going to fucking die over it.
But all most people care about is that we are handling it better than England.

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Coincidence theorist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: March 26, 2020, 07:04:59 PM »
Wonderful news, Donald Trump should be proud. . . .We are #1

Spoiler
In the number of covid-19 cases. That is with serious under reporting.
[close]

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: March 26, 2020, 07:53:16 PM »
30 years ago I bought an Olympic weight set, squat rack,pull down machine and a bench. I haven't used it in years because we have a nice gym at work. Well they closed our work gym and I have had to dust off my home gym and it has worked ok. I need to sell a lot of it because I don't need it any more but for now I am glad I didn't sell it yet. Today was leg day and I am very tired.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Coincidence theorist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: March 26, 2020, 11:08:44 PM »
Pastor Who Claimed Covid-19 ‘Hysteria’ Was Plot Against Trump Dies From Virus

By Michael Stone | March 26, 2020

Religious Ignorance Kills: Landon Spradlin, a Virginia pastor who claimed the “mass hysteria” around the coronavirus pandemic was part of a media plot against Trump, has died from the virus.

ABC News reports:

Landon Spradlin’s family never got to say goodbye.

The 66-year-old father and husband from Virginia died due to complications from COVID-19 on Wednesday morning in North Carolina.

While on the way home from a mission trip, Spradlin collapsed and was taken to a hospital in Concord, North Carolina. He was eventually put on a ventilator as his condition worsened.

According to reports, Spradlin, a 66-year-old Christian “musical evangelist,” fell ill while on a missionary trip to New Orleans with his wife.

Friendly Atheist reports Spaldrin went to New Orleans to “wash it from its Sin and debauchery.”

On his Facebook page Spradlin shared a misleading meme attempting to minimize COVID-19, comparing the virus to the swine flu, and suggesting that the response to the coronavirus pandemic was media created “mass hysteria” to damage Trump: 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10158051152343688

Spradlin also shared a post from a pastor claiming that a missionary in South Africa “protected” himself from the bubonic plague with the “Spirit of God.” A quote from the post reads:

As long as I walk in the light of that law [of the Spirit of life], no germ will attach itself to me.

The stupid, it kills.

The following is a sample of the reactions to Spraldin’s death via Twitter:

https://twitter.com/KarencaCarvajal/status/1243271447750950912

https://twitter.com/keenancobb/status/1243231430139883521

https://twitter.com/duty2warn/status/1243271711430021121

https://twitter.com/RolandB3/status/1243280356943572992

Pastor Who Claimed Covid-19 ‘Hysteria’ Was Plot Against Trump Dies From Virus (Image via Twitter)
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2020/03/pastor-who-claimed-covid-19-hysteria-was-plot-against-trump-dies-from-virus

Offline Desert Fox

• Planetary Skeptic
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • View Profile
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain