Author Topic: That Flat-Earther Dude finally got himself killed - actually bummed.  (Read 443 times)

Offline drwfishesman

• Frequent Poster
  • Occasional Forum Necromancer
    • View Profile
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/daredevil-mad-mike-hughes-dies-homemade-rocket-launch-filmed-tv-n1141286?fbclid=IwAR0_4QF_yozDdlkxNGBqCJ2wYKp4gqcZK3dTKnUKLjMojx4KTy4LaxnxxYI

I thought this guy was interesting if deluded. I was sure the media attention was causing him to take more risks. Feel this is sad and inevitable.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
    • View Profile
Re: That Flat-Earther Dude finally got himself killed - actually bummed.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 02:43:36 PM »
I posted this elsewhere:
This man was probably not well and should have been protected from doing stupid shit like this.
For profit media has a lot to answer for in the way it exploits the vulnerable and the desperate (in this case desperate for attention). Whether its shit like this, ancient aliens or some crap that was on at my friends house last night where dim witted pretty strangers get engaged and married for the sake of manufactured drama, its clear that some sort of oversight is required for these amoral opportunists and we should not let that slip away because we are busy heaping scorn on the victims (not that this guy did not contribute to and participate in harm himself).
Of course the fuckwits will start some theory about him being shot down to stop the truth getting out.

Offline Igor SMC

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 05:27:59 PM »
This is so horribly tragic on so many levels... A tragedy because a healthy person died doing something stupid. A tragedy because nobody stopped him.

And emblematically... a tragedy for our civilization. In the age of vast technology and space research... a person died trying to prove that the Earth was flat.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable"

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 05:30:42 PM »
This is so horribly tragic on so many levels... A tragedy because a healthy person died doing something stupid. A tragedy because nobody stopped him.

And emblematically... a tragedy for our civilization. In the age of vast technology and space research... a person died trying to prove that the Earth was flat.

People die doing extreme sports. I see this as the same thing. Yes, a terrible tragedy, but no more or less so than someone dying in a base jumping accident.
Self-described nerd.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 06:29:19 PM »
EKG flat. EEG flat. EARTH no flat.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Coincidence theorist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 06:48:00 PM »
The US has a long and storied history of daredevils willing to take their life into their hands to put on a show.

Reality TV shows like Jackass coincided with the advent of the Internet, to inspire a generation of foolhardy thrill-seekers to risk death or permanent injury for a modicum of Internet recognition.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 07:01:35 PM »
The US has a long and storied history of daredevils willing to take their life into their hands to put on a show.

Reality TV shows like Jackass coincided with the advent of the Internet, to inspire a generation of foolhardy thrill-seekers to risk death or permanent injury for a modicum of Internet recognition.
Reminds me of a tombstone I saw in an LA cemetery. It said "I was famous, damnit." There was nothing else on the stone. I got the feeling someone followed his directions to the letter, and saved money on the extraneous engraving.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 07:35:52 PM »
How did the tv crew allow him to do this without seeking the appropriate licensing for  a manned flight?
Shouldn't they be somewhat liable?
I think thats what makes this slightly different to dying doing a licensed extreme sport.
But even base jumpers arent motivated by woo.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Coincidence theorist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 07:37:36 PM »
They probably got FAA approval for the launch, as required under the law for large, metallic or high-flying rockets. I assume that not doing so would leave them liable for heavy fines under federal regulations.

I'm wondering if there was an ambulance on the scene. I didn't see or hear one in that video.

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 08:28:32 PM »
What I read elsewhere suggested that "Mad" Mike Hughes was first and foremost a rocket enthusiast, who only latched onto the flat-Earth thing as a way of getting funding for his rocket projects, and that he really had no strong attachment to FE. He died because his main parachute detached from the rocket during launch, and if there were back-ups they failed as well. Flying in a home-made rocket sounds crazy, but climbing Everest sounds crazy to me as well. And some people might think I was crazy to descend to 2,050 feet in the ocean in a home-made submarine, though in my defense I'll say that it had made many hundreds of successful dives at the time I went down in it.

I don't think we can chalk up this tragic accident to flat-Earth lunacy. Rather. it was his passion for an extremely dangerous sport. Hughes was not a flat-Earther who built a rocket to prove the Earth is flat. He was an amateur rocket builder who found in the FE thing a possible source of funding for his hobby.
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Coincidence theorist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 11:03:37 PM »
Where did you read that he wasn't honestly invested in the flat Earth belief?

Either way, the idea of flying thousands of feet into the air in a rocket powered by steam is really foolish. If he was really such a committed rocket enthusiast, I'd expect him to have a better understanding of the basics of the technology.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 04:22:46 AM by John Albert »

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 11:57:53 AM »
Splat Earther.

The only thing he had to fear was sphere itself.
There's no such thing as denial.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 12:22:41 PM »
Reddit conspiracy forum exploded.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 12:26:49 PM »
I don't see any other way this could have ended. Especially after the "Science" Channel got involved.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Coincidence theorist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 04:18:40 PM »
He almost killed himself the first time. The man clearly had a death wish.