Author Topic: Right to Repair  (Read 690 times)

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Coincidence theorist
    • View Profile
Re: Right to Repair
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2020, 10:39:04 PM »
Tesla is the company that people who love gasoline love to hate.

There are a lot of other reasons to hate the Tesla corporation.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2020, 11:28:51 AM »

And yet we would probably not have electric cars today were it not for Tesla. I'm not sure there is a big corporation that does not have many reasons to hate it.
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline Desert Fox

• Planetary Skeptic
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • View Profile
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2020, 02:04:55 PM »

And yet we would probably not have electric cars today were it not for Tesla. I'm not sure there is a big corporation that does not have many reasons to hate it.

Don't get me wrong. From everything I have read or seen about Teslas, it sounds like they are great cars.
My problem is that I consider that reuse and rebuild should be options on the table.
It does not even sound like Tesla buys back the cars in order to salvage parts from.
The way it sounds, Tesla has some non environmental policies, which is sad for a company you chose because of that.
Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain

Online BilLumberg

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2020, 02:12:39 PM »
If I had the money I would like to build a EV using a fiberglass bodied street rod.

Similar to these;

http://www.acautos.com/49-50-mercury/

http://www.acautos.com/37-ford-convertible/

On the topic of right to repair. I repair transmissions on cars and light trucks. The manufacturers are taking steps to hinder, or exclude aftermarket repairs. One way that mercedes is doing this is by stating that any computer on the vehicle is a "anti-theft" component. Therefore they will not sell them to shops without special credentials. This effects transmission work because the computer is inside the transmission on many vehicles and they have a high failure rate. This makes it very difficult, if not impossible, to compete with the dealerships. Another way manufactures do this is by simply not making parts available, or, if available, the cost of the parts end up much higher than a factory rebuilt unit. Even to install a factory unit can be troublesome. Nissan will not warranty their units unless they are programmed by a dealership, even though the aftermarket can perform the exact same programming. None of these policies benefit the customer, they just provide them with less options to repair their vehicle.

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Coincidence theorist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2020, 04:25:42 PM »

True that.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2020, 05:19:46 PM »

Don't get me wrong. From everything I have read or seen about Teslas, it sounds like they are great cars.
My problem is that I consider that reuse and rebuild should be options on the table.
It does not even sound like Tesla buys back the cars in order to salvage parts from.
The way it sounds, Tesla has some non environmental policies, which is sad for a company you chose because of that.

Totally agree with you about reuse and rebuild options.

Tesla will take relatively new cars back in trade, but with older ones they low-ball the trade-in value and then just send them to auction.

Does any car maker buy back older cars in order to salvage parts? It would surprise me. One would hope that they'd take back older cars in trade and refurbish them for re-sale, but Tesla won't do that after a few years. In their defense, things change so much in this technology that that could be problematic.

I don't fault them for not refurbishing older cars. I do fault them for making it hard or impossible for an aftermarket repair & refurbishment industry to come up around their older cars. I suppose they're scared of the bad publicity when a car someone has refurbished catches fire.
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline Desert Fox

• Planetary Skeptic
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • View Profile
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2020, 02:29:21 PM »
Sixteen year old arguing about the repair of iPhones

Kind of a little funny actually
Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2020, 07:01:31 PM »
I wonder how the silicon valley execs who take such lengths to ensure all repairs are carried out by qualified and accredited vendors feel about services such as airbnb and uber?
I thought cutting through 'needless red tape' with a can do attitude and a disruptive platform was the way forward?
If you arent breaking things you arent moving fast enough?

Or maybe they and their entire purported philosophy is vapid, self serving and full of shit?
When will Musk create the technology to fire billionaires into the sun?!

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2020, 08:14:21 PM »
I wonder how the silicon valley execs who take such lengths to ensure all repairs are carried out by qualified and accredited vendors feel about services such as airbnb and uber?
I thought cutting through 'needless red tape' with a can do attitude and a disruptive platform was the way forward?
If you arent breaking things you arent moving fast enough?

Or maybe they and their entire purported philosophy is vapid, self serving and full of shit?
When will Musk create the technology to fire billionaires into the sun?!

I don't think that you can generalize "silicon valley execs" as a homogenous group. But I'm pretty sure that the BFE would be capable of sending billionaires into the sun. I just wouldn't count on a billionaire to turn against other billionaires. Actually, I'd rather just tax them at 90% of their total wealth annually than shoot them into the sun. I can think of a certain chief executive of a certain large country that I think should be shot into the sun.
-- Greta Thunberg