Author Topic: Episode #766  (Read 617 times)

Offline Antares

• View Profile
Re: Episode #766
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 02:51:40 PM »
Anybody who has towed a box shaped travel trailer in the right lane has probably experienced being dragged towards a semi passing them in the left lane.  I always try to keep as far right when I am being passed to minimize the effect which can be profound the closer the front right edge of the semi is to the left rear of your travel trailer.

Always fascinates me though because there is no solid connection between the two vehicles like a rope or flexible cord or the like but they are pulling on each other as if there were.

Also interesting reading is rolling resistance vs air resistance graph. 

And the efficiency gains semi's can make from cab shape, drive fenders,  fairings, fins, chassis skirts, side skirts, boat tails, and vortex generators, vented mud flaps.
Please don't feed the quacks!

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 05:25:18 PM »
I always have to remember to mentally swap left and right when reading Americans talking about driving, just so that I can visualise what they're talking about.  :P
Self-described nerd.

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 10:59:25 PM »
didn't there used to be a 'like' post button?
"Skepticism is the first step on the road to philosophy."

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2020, 11:03:10 PM »

You missed a bit, GodSlayer. We had a pretty major forum crash and some functions were disabled after the database was rebuilt, including the Like button. Belgarath and The Latinist are working on a brand new build of the site, using state of the art software (I don't know if that bit is true) which hopefully will be up and running soon.
Self-described nerd.

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2020, 11:15:11 PM »
You missed a bit, GodSlayer. We had a pretty major forum crash and some functions were disabled after the database was rebuilt, including the Like button.
another forum crash?! :(

did any psychics warn of it?

using state of the art software (I don't know if that bit is true) which hopefully will be up and running soon.

my Windows 7 is tweaked to look like Windows Millennium.
I demand legacy features to make this forum look like Usenet! (I joined a Discord server yesterday ... fuckin' flashback to the proto social media of ICQ and chatrooms!
"Skepticism is the first step on the road to philosophy."