Author Topic: COVID-19 pandemic and airlines  (Read 423 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19 pandemic and airlines
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2020, 06:43:20 PM »
It's not just going to be the airlines that take a big hit. Cruise liners will take decades to recover from the bad press (and well deserved) they're getting for their response to this crisis. Australia's covid-19 numbers would look a lot better without the number that got infected on cruise ships and they already had a bad reputation for germ epidemics over the past few years.

They are floating self-contained germ factories when someone gets sick on board.

As of today, Tasmania has over 50% of it's cases from people who caught it on a cruise ship (The rest got it overseas)

Flying animals are particularly dangerous to humans...

Especially if they hit you in the head. ;D ::)

We have one bird that’s notorious for this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_magpie

Occasionally they hit humans when swooping, and can cause serious injury.  More by accident than anything else.  I’ve seen a magpie swooping my dog when he was off the lead.  The magpie swooped, and when he was just above the dog flapped his wings causing a loud crack sound startling the dog and encouraging the dog to follow and move away from the bird’s nest.

When a magpie hits a human it’s more by accident than intention.  The magpie probably has misjudged the height of the human from the profile as seen from above.

Maggies are annoying. I'm just glad that wedgies don't swoop  ;) Some of them are bigger than me  :-\

Slight exaggeration, but not by much. The big ones are well over a metre tall and with a wingspan of close to 3 metres and talons that could do some serious damage.

It took me a bit of searching to find out that a wedgie is a wedge-tailed eagle.
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2020, 07:46:11 PM »
Sorry, I should have made that clear. My inner ocker comes out at time  ;)

They're beautiful birds. Where I was working (and will be again at some stage) has a few that patrol our site. They are fascinating to watch hunt.

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2020, 10:06:03 PM »

They're beautiful birds. Where I was working (and will be again at some stage) has a few that patrol our site. They are fascinating to watch hunt.

Once upon a time, when they used to play Australian rules football (remember that?), they used to have a wedge tail eagle flying at the home games of the West Coast Eagles.

Some eagles do (or did) swoop.  The Haast eagle in New Zealand before the Maoris made it extinct had the ecological nche corresponding to that of big cats such as tigers.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 04:36:08 AM by bachfiend »
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2020, 10:58:15 PM »

Once upon a time, when they used to play Australian rules football (remember that?), they used to have a wedge tail eagle flying at the home games of the West Coast Eagles.

Some eagles do (or did) swoop.  The Haast eagle in New Zealand before the Maoris made it extinct had the ecological niche corresponding to that of big cats such as tigers.

I mean, Swoop on humans, like the magpies  ;)

I remember the eagle at the footy.  They had one at the MCG a few times to scare off the flying rats (seagulls) They're a nuisance.

An eagle take the place of a tiger. Never  ;)

Online bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2020, 04:43:11 AM »

Some eagles do (or did) swoop.  The Haast eagle in New Zealand before the Maoris made it extinct had the ecological niche corresponding to that of big cats such as tigers.

I mean, Swoop on humans, like the magpies  ;)

I remember the eagle at the footy.  They had one at the MCG a few times to scare off the flying rats (seagulls) They're a nuisance.

An eagle take the place of a tiger. Never  ;)

The Haast’s eagle occupied the top predator niche like tigers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haast's_eagle

They went extinct possibly because the Maoris wiped out their prey, moas, which occupied similar niches to deer.  New Zealand didn’t have large mammals, so birds occupied all their niches.  Or possibly another explanation is that the Maoris caused them to go extinct in self defence.

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2020, 05:23:35 AM »
New Zealand didn’t have large mammals, so birds occupied all their niches.

My favourite of those is their parrot, The Kakapo, that filled a niche that in Europe was occupied by the rabbit.

and for a bit of humour  ;D

Online jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
    • jt512
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2020, 06:25:38 AM »

Aww.  And I thought they were so cute when I was in Australia.

Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2020, 06:52:10 AM »

This Magpie isn't cute  ;)

Spoiler
It is, of course, Joffa from the Collingwood Magpies cheer squad.  8)
[close]
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 06:54:36 AM by Tassie Dave »

Online bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2020, 01:02:22 PM »

They are cute, most of the year, except during the breeding season, when a minority swoop humans.  I just avoid the areas where I know that there are swooping magpies (they’re very territorial). 

Offline Igor SMC

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2020, 03:46:25 PM »
Just to throw a relevant piece of information here: The Brazilian Aeronautics Agency announced that officially, the total flights (Domestic and International) were cut by 91.6%
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable"

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2020, 05:43:04 PM »
I've never had any loyalty to any airline. When I was traveling (which is to say before I moved here) I took whichever airline had the most convenient schedule. And I always joined their "loyalty" plans for whatever benefits those conferred.

So now I'm getting emails from bunches of airlines telling me how much they care about my safety, and all the lengths they are going to to sterilize their planes and make travel safer. One even bragged that they're offering medical professionals traveling to certain highly-affected areas free domestic flights.

They've got to be losing money hand over fist. There are virtually no tourists coming here now that there's a mandatory 14-day isolation for anyone arriving on the island. Just the last of the tourists leaving and a few stragglers returning home. And freight, though I don't know how much business there is in that.
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg