Author Topic: Ninety percent of the work force can work from home  (Read 810 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
    • View Profile
Re: "Ninety percent of the work force can work from home" - really, Cara?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 01:58:51 PM »
I could be wrong...but I am pretty damn sure it was Cara!

You are wrong, not only about who said it but about what they said.

Not worth re-listening to the podcast for, tho.

Worth complaining about, but not worth making an effort to correct yourself?  How skeptical.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2020, 02:27:11 PM »
This is (among the reasons) why I try to avoid referencing the person, and instead focus entirely on the message (after finding an appropriate setting to discuss it in). Ultimately, it doesn't matter who said it, when the content is what's up for debate.

But it was definitely Jay. 10 minutes and 18 seconds into the episode (regular feed). "Like 90% of the workforce can work from home", with Steve agreeing, then Jay talking about how companies aren't letting them (the people Jay knows) do it, then Cara saying it's effed up. Then they talk about how people should push to be allowed to work from home, as well as the issue of cancellations and if you should ask for refunds, and about tipping people generously (Cara returning to what she was talking about earlier on) if you're able to, to help them through this.

And this is why I pretty much despise the concept of tipping. It shouldn't be up to each random person to ensure people get paid fairly, let alone to build safety nets. The safety nets should be inherent in the system, they should be mandated by the government, they should already be funded most by those who can most afford it, without relying on charity. The people you still interact with might be the lucky ones, and you never see the ones who need the most help.

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2020, 03:59:53 PM »
Alright, apologizes to Cara. Two people have stated it was her and I really don't have time to listen to the podcast again. I honestly thought it was her. I don't want to a jerk. Again, apologies and I WILL try not to be person-specific in the future unless the case is unavoidable.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2020, 04:04:02 PM »
Alright, apologizes to Cara. Two people have stated it was her and I really don't have time to listen to the podcast again. I honestly thought it was her. I don't want to a jerk. Again, apologies and I WILL try not to be person-specific in the future unless the case is unavoidable.

But it's not just about you misidentifying the speaker; it's about you completely misrepresenting what he said.  He did not say or imply that 90% of the general workforce could work from home; he said that some companies his friends work for and 90% of whose employees could work from home are not allowing it.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2020, 05:04:56 PM »
I think that statement has been taken out of context. I'd have to go re-listen to be sure, and I'm not going to do that, but I'm pretty sure she was referring specifically to developed countries, big city office workers, and not the workforce in general. Regardless, I think it was pretty clear in the surrounding discussion.

I work at the world headquarters of one of the big three (well actually two) automakers in downtown Detroit. Not gonna say who (I hate my job buy I need my paycheck). Granted I am a contract worker and not an actual "real" employee. We still have to be at work (tho our manager has been working at home for the past two weeks...) Today however, they reduced our work hours. So, we have to be exposed for less pay (we're hourly). Lovely.

If you could work from home, but aren't being permitted to, that's wrong and dangerous. Where I work, there are some tasks that can be done from home and some that can't, and we're rotating staff through those tasks so that there is always a percentage of workers at home at all times doing those tasks. We're also rolling out a process by which most of the other tasks can also be done from home.

Basically, we are moving as quickly as we can towards a situation where as many people as possible can work from home, and do so.
Self-described nerd.

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Coincidence theorist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2020, 03:00:02 AM »
Paul Blevins Jr., would you please change the title of this thread, at least to remove the reference to Cara?

I feel embarrassed every time I see it, and I didn't even write the thing.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2020, 09:38:59 AM »
My company is about to force people back to work now. That they have 30 laptops for work from home for some people so the office will be less crowded. ::)

Fwiw- almost all of our employees could work from home barring some with really shit internet.
Their priority is getting people back into the office.

This is because assistance for people not in work has raised to 350 euros and they are scared everyone would take it if available.
And this shows why businesses should not be left to make such decisions for themselves, because they will never err on the side of the public good.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2020, 11:09:59 AM »
"Girl on podcast said bad thing!"  (didn't actually do bad thing)

Nice to know even in a disaster, we won't abandon our cherished forum traditions.   :laugh:

How. Dare. She. Did she use vocal fry when she said it?

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2020, 11:11:30 AM »
But  yeah I think 90% is too high. One has to grant charity that podcasters just say stuff to keep the conversation going.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2020, 11:15:40 AM »
But  yeah I think 90% is too high. One has to grant charity that podcasters just say stuff to keep the conversation going.

Again, Jay was talking about specific businesses in specific industries (software development and graphic design).

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Coincidence theorist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2020, 07:53:44 PM »

Again, Jay was talking about specific businesses in specific industries (software development and graphic design).

Of which at least 90% could easily work from home. I know this for certain because I've personally worked for a "virtual company" wherein the entire workforce collaborated remotely.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 07:05:22 AM by John Albert »

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2020, 11:01:10 PM »
Basically, anyone who does all their work on a computer can probably work from home. We, being a government bureaucracy, have almost half of our staff working from home. The only reason it isn't more is that we don't have the infrastructure accommodate more.
Self-described nerd.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2020, 03:57:04 PM »
Another side of this is that some of the work doesn't need to be done at all. E.g. because of automation, or because a lot of the time spent at work is waiting around and chatting. Or the entire job is pointless like working for the TSA, and things like advertising medicine, and much of the insurance industry.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • View Profile
    • My Page
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2020, 04:56:13 PM »
I wouldn't go so far as saying much of the insurance industry. 

The way our system is wired, most of that work is very needed right now or hospitals, doctors and nurses don't get paid.  If they don't get paid, they will quit working.

Sure, it could be done by 1/10th of the people if we had a system in place like a normal civilized country.  But that's not the world we live in.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2020, 09:27:19 PM »
Just because they have broken your system does not mean they are needed.
Health care professionals could be paid exclusively by the government and the actual work itself would not change, so the work being done by non healthcare professionals in the health insurance industry is technically unnecessary.
I would go as far as to say ALL private insurance is unnecessary and would be cheaper for the end user and fulfill the same function if it were state run.
In cases such as car insurance its absurd to create a legal obligation to have it and not provide a state provided option to get it.
The extra revenue would not be insubstantial and could pay for many things that status quo cheerleaders ask about payment methods for.