Author Topic: COVID-19 and Politics  (Read 403 times)

The Latinist and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • "I ain't no doctor with degrees" - Think
    • View Profile
COVID-19 and Politics
« on: March 26, 2020, 12:49:39 PM »
... and Donald Trump is president of the United States

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • View Profile
    • My Page
Re: COVID-19 and Politics
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 01:15:24 PM »
So, while I don't like Biden any better based on this ad...it's a good fuckin ad.  It's preaching to the choir in my case, I'm well aware that the manbaby in chief is worthless. Still, I hope someone listens.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Online CarbShark

• "I ain't no doctor with degrees" - Think
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 03:19:43 PM »
https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1242974655293435907

Apparently this is the ad the Trump campaign issued a cease and desist order on.

... and Donald Trump is president of the United States

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • View Profile
    • My Page
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 03:33:10 PM »
What a fucking snowflake

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 04:32:05 PM »
Great news:
https://www.rte.ie/news/us/2020/0326/1126649-dublin-man-released-early-from-new-york-prison/

This white immigrant violent criminal has been released from prison over concerns for the disease.
This now means anyone in for say...less violent drug offenses will be released also.
Right?
....Guys?

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Coincidence theorist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 11:17:27 PM »

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 01:41:05 AM »
Who's the other senator testing positive? I'm only finding state senators, other than Rand Paul.

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Coincidence theorist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 05:02:34 AM »
Republican Sen. John Thune went home sick, but as yet there's no word on whether it was COVID-19.

Rand Paul, by the way, stayed at work on the Senate floor for days while infectious and awaiting his test results. And he also used the Senate gym and swam in the pool, and went to dinner with other GOP senators.

Online jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
    • jt512
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 06:37:34 AM »
Republican Sen. John Thune went home sick, but as yet there's no word on whether it was COVID-19.

Rand Paul, by the way, stayed at work on the Senate floor for days while infectious and awaiting his test results. And he also used the Senate gym and swam in the pool, and went to dinner with other GOP senators.

Well, at least there's that.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• When a file comes along, you must zip it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 12:19:53 PM »
Article: EPA suspends enforcement of environmental laws amid coronavirus
Date: 2020 MAR 26

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issued a sweeping suspension of its enforcement of environmental laws Thursday, telling companies they would not need to meet environmental standards during the coronavirus outbreak. 

The temporary policy, for which the EPA has set no end date, would allow any number of industries to skirt environmental laws, with the agency saying it will not “seek penalties for noncompliance with routine monitoring and reporting obligations.”

Cynthia Giles, who headed the EPA’s Office of Enforcement during the Obama administration, called it a moratorium on enforcing the nation's environmental laws and an abdication of the agency's duty.

“This EPA statement is essentially a nationwide waiver of environmental rules for the indefinite future. It tells companies across the country that they will not face enforcement even if they emit unlawful air and water pollution in violation of environmental laws, so long as they claim that those failures are in some way 'caused' by the virus pandemic. And it allows them an out on monitoring too, so we may never know how bad the violating pollution was,” she wrote in a statement to The Hill.

The EPA has been under pressure from a number of industries, including the oil industry, to suspend enforcement of a number of environmental regulations due to the pandemic.

This seems excessive.
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 12:22:07 PM »

I loved his excuse, too, which boiled down that he didn't qualify for testing according to CDC criteria and therefore shouldn't have been awaiting results to begin with.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 01:33:23 PM »
EPA suspends enforcement of environmental laws amid coronavirus

Why would there be any reason for them to announce that? Just tell people to keep not needlessly polluting, while they'll follow up on whatever violations they're able to.

The rest of the world is polluting less, because there's less consumption and demand. I don't see how a pandemic makes it so companies have to start dumping waste again. Produce less instead. What's the bailout for, if not to allow for businesses to survive while slowing down?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 01:40:53 PM by 2397 »

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 01:43:02 PM »
EPA suspends enforcement of environmental laws amid coronavirus

Why would there be any reason for them to announce that? Just tell people to keep not needlessly polluting, while they'll follow up on whatever violations they're able to.

I thought the same thing when our local PD announced they were going to cut way back on traffic stops to reduce officers' exposure. Why tell people that? By all means do it, but at least leave people with the impression that they could be stopped.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2020, 02:05:40 PM »
Reducing traffic stops to protect police officers from exposure makes some sense. But suspending environmental laws makes no sense whatsoever. It's just this corrupt government's excuse to do what they've always wanted to do: Resume 1960's level of impunity for corporations to fuck the nation in the ass.
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline Desert Fox

• Planetary Skeptic
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • View Profile
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2020, 02:14:38 PM »
With traffic stops, if you get a ticket, you get a date in traffic court. Most  courts are shut down except emergencies.
As far as the EPA shutting down, most companies are not going to want to change practices when in a few months it will change back - Either due to people suing companies and the EPA or a democrat taking office.
Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain