Author Topic: Episode #44  (Read 5998 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #44
« on: May 25, 2006, 03:20:24 PM »
Interview with James Randi
Skeptical News: Human/chimp hybrid, China mirage

This is the second interview we have done with James Randi. This time we discussed his investigations of faith healers and his criticisms of the US patent office.
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline Paulhoff

• Seasoned Contributor
Episode #44
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 07:38:01 PM »
Well this does make me a namedropper I guess, I hope to see Randi this Wednesday at his monthly meeting.  :wink:

Paul

:D  :D  :D
color=blue]"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein
Much worse than the Question not asked, is the Answer not Given. - mine
Never in the history of humankind, have so many, known so little, about so much.[/color]

Offline Wonko the Sane

• Well Established
Episode #44
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 10:03:40 PM »
Quote from: "Paulhoff"
Well this does make me a namedropper I guess, I hope to see Randi this Wednesday at his monthly meeting.  :wink:

Paul

Lucky, he is one of my heroes. He made me realize that one of the best things to have in your skeptical toolkit besides the major logical fallacies is a knowledge of magic and trickery. Besides being able to spot deception from a mile away it allows you to demonstrate how easy it is to make something SEEM supernatural.
'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

"People in bamboo houses should not throw pandas" -Jesus

Offline Leigh

• Off to a Start
Episode #44
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 01:06:13 PM »
Funnily enough, each and every clairvoyant/tarot reader/psychic I have come across was completely unaware of the JREF'S million dollar challenge.
I was essentially told to go and have sex with myself. One person in particular told me that her 'powers' could not be turned on like a tap.
Well, she must have been having a good day 'power' wise because every person with the correct change was seen to without pause.
It begs the question...
Who in their right mind would prefer to spend their days sat behind a cheap plastic table dispensing advice to people on whether they should buy that yacht they've always dreamed of instead of rolling around in a whopping pile of cash. Let's face it. They are there in the first place to make money just like the rest of us, so c'mon guys! Take Randi down!
Do it for all those poor souls who took your daft advice..you owe them that much.
I'm trying myself to come up with a reasonable way to fake some super powers, deceive the great Randi and make off with his cash.
Wish me luck.
quot;When you hear people in church debasing themselves and saying that they are miserable sinners, and all the rest of it, it seems contemptible and not worthy of self-respecting human beings": Bertrand Russell
www.stephenjaygould.org/ctrl/library.html

Offline Paulhoff

• Seasoned Contributor
Episode #44
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 02:27:42 PM »
Quote from: "Leigh"
Funnily enough, each and every clairvoyant/tarot reader/psychic I have come across was completely unaware of the JREF'S million dollar challenge.

Very funny, you would think that they would have had the power to know that.

Paul

You think that they may be lying.  :wink:
color=blue]"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein
Much worse than the Question not asked, is the Answer not Given. - mine
Never in the history of humankind, have so many, known so little, about so much.[/color]

Offline Sillysighbean

• Triskaidekaphilic
    • http://www.myspace.com/jimpatten
Randi says: "Act like a spoon and get bent"
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 12:24:30 PM »
Call it a cosmic coincidence or maybe it was just merely synergism; but immediately after listening to the podcasts on Faith Healers and supplements, AOL posted an article on Faith Based Diets. They listed 8 diets, one of which was called the "Makers Diet". founded by Jordan Rubin. mmm, is this the same guy whose company  (Garden of Life INC.) recently settled with the Federal Trade Commission for making unsubstantiated claims that his supplements cure everything from colds to cancer? I went to his site and he is making the exact same claims for this diet ("God's original eating plan"), as he did for his supplement "Primal Defense".  What disturbs me the most is that his book has become a  "best seller",  along with AOL perpetuating this diet myth to unsuspecting subscribers. Would  it be a logical fallacy (ad hominem) to call him a lying, thieving con man?  Where do I begin to construct a logical  argument debunking  what I believe to be a hoax. I have to go now, I have a craving for honey covered locust.
PS I do not know how to insert  hyperlinks to these sites i mentioned, if someone could enlighten me, it would  be most appreciated.

Offline Gilnei

• Well Established
  • Resident Brazilian Skeptic
Episode #44
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 12:49:29 PM »
You can simply copy & paste the address of the sites in your post, the forum will do the rest.  8)

Or, you can use the {url=insertsiteaddresshere} insert site name here {/url}, replacing the { } with [ ].
Scientists are the leading cause of cancer in lab rats.