Author Topic: Weekly Puzzle List  (Read 2511 times)

Offline The Lazy Skeptic

• Not Enough Spare Time
Weekly Puzzle List
« on: November 12, 2006, 04:46:24 PM »
» Episode 70 - 2006-11-21

Puzzle:
Albert Einstein
John Locke (philosopher)
Herbert Hoover (31st US president)
Robert Boyle (father of modern chemistry)
Gen. George S. Patton

Each of these famous people have had a hand in this pseudoscience.

Name the pseudoscience.

Answer:

» Episode 69 - 2006-11-15

Puzzle:
He began in Lebanon, and ended in Belfast.
He tinkered in clocks, and invented saws.
His consumption almost got the best of him, until he used the healing
power of his own mind.
He would often have new thoughts pertaining to the health of mind,
body, and spirit.
His main friends would go to the park to seek his advice.
He had a great distrust of doctors and the disease theory.
He believed disease was only a disturbance of the mind.
He believed everything in the natural world had an origin in the
spiritual world.
He called himself a doctor, though he had no formal education or
training.
He peddled the wares, to show the world his methods were sound.
He is still revered today, and his theories continue to influence New
Age thinking.

Who was he?

Answer:
Phineas Parkhurst Quimby

» Episode 68 - 2006-11-08

Puzzle:
Perhaps it was Socrates Or Plato, his pupil One of their theories Appeared to be a scruple Perhaps it was Hippocrates Or maybe by Homer It may have looked like philosophy But it was a misnomer More believers would follow Tolerant and exacting Such a theory, so shallow They must have been acting To the 21st century This belief still is held In the face of integrity It flies un-repelled What is it?

Answer:
Physiognomy

» Episode 66 - 2006-10-25

Puzzle:
Let's assume that I am not a skeptical person. I have a symptom, and I want to take a homeopathic remedy to cure it. I go to a homeopathic website, type in my symptom, and they suggest I take an elixir with Aconitum Napellus as the active ingredient. Based on that information, can you guess what symptom I am trying to cure?

Answer:
gullibility

» Episode 65 - 2006-10-18

Puzzle:
I have 4 lines I can supposedly detect witches I was once described as 'an organ' I was used by Julius Caesar in his judgments of people I am said to have regions named for the planets, the moon, and the sun It is said I can reveal the homosexuality of a person It is said I help detect illness in children What am I?

Answer:
The Hand

» Episode 62 - 2006-09-27

Puzzle:
A ash-bark perpetual motion machine was conceived a very long time ago. Who proposed it?

Answer:
Bashkara

» Episode 61 - 2006-09-20

Puzzle:
To use a marine lock, like those of the Panama Canal, a boat enters the lock and the gates are closed. Water is then allowed to flow into (or out of) the lock to raise (or lower) the boat to a new level. Consider two different boats cycling through the lock: a cruise ship which barely fits into the lock and a kayak. Which requires more water to flow into or out of the lock to cycle the vessel to the new level? Alden Johnson Port Ludlow, Washington

Answer:
They are both the same

» Episode 60 - 2006-09-13

Puzzle:
You meet a woman and ask her if she has any children. She replies, “two.” You ask if she has any sons and she says, “yes.” So now you know she has exactly two children and at least one of them is a boy. What is the probability that her other child is also a boy, and therefore that she has two sons?

Answer:
1/3 (or maybe 1/2 - see the forums for a lively discussion on this puzzle)

» Episode 59 - 2006-09-05

Puzzle:
He says that the power of the mind is like an iceberg, 90% of it lies beneath the surface. He says that this 90% of the mind's power is the subconscious. He says the subconscious listens and absorbs experiences - much like a sponge soaks up water. He says we need only talk to our subconscious to make ourselves happy, relaxed, strong, or whatever else we desire. He says the absorptive qualities of subconsciousness will make these things come true. He says the subconscious speaks back to us and that we need to listen to it. He calls this instinct and intuition. He says instinct and intuition are psychic gifts. And he says by listening to these psychic gifts, we use more power of our minds than Albert Einstein ever used his. Who is this deep thinker?

Answer:
Uri Geller

» Episode 57 - 2006-08-23

Puzzle:
A man, a chemist, a pastor by trade In search of a cure he thought he had made For the prevention and cure of scurvy, he wrote His newest discovery he had hoped to gloat The public's belief in this product was fast Dermatitis and rheumatism would be things of the past. As time passed on, and the ills still remained The product itself would garnish new fame Still the pharmacies sold it, it would become a tradition People bought it by the hundreds, the thousands, and millions For that man long ago we must give our thanks, While he tinkered with elements, currents, and plants And though he did not rid the world of rickets or piles To billions of people, we attribute their smiles. Who was he and what was his discovery?

Answer:

» Episode 55 - 2006-08-09

Puzzle:
He was born in the late 1800's in the eastern region of the Austro-Hungarian empire (Ukraine). After fighting in WWI he studied medicine in Vienna. By age 21, he began a private practice as an "analytic psychiatrist" and was considered a pioneer in the study of human sexuality. During his research, he believed he had discovered a "unique energetic life force". He claimed it was present in all of nature, and was a death defying entity. He attempted to apply his "life force" theory to research in medical endeavors such as cancer treatment, although he was largely ignored and often criticized by the mainstream scientific community - criticism he took as personal attacks. He immigrated to the United States just as World War II was beginning. His advocacy of the alleged therapeutic benefits of his life force based inventions (such as a life force detector) caused him legal trouble with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. He died on at the age of 60 in a US Federal Penitentiary. He was jailed for criminal contempt because he refused to obey an injunction against selling quack medical devices. Who was he, and what was the name of the life force he claimed to have discovered?

Answer:
Wilhem Reich, Orgone

» Episode 54 - 2006-08-02

Puzzle:
You have just made a cup of coffee but haven't put the milk in yet. The doorbell rings so it may take a couple of minutes before you can drink it. If you like your coffee hot, is it better to add the milk before answering the door or after you return. From: Roel Winters Belgium

Answer:
Pour the milk in first. The rate of heat transfer is proportional to the difference in temperature. So the hot coffee will lose heat quicker than the slightly cooled coffee after pouring in the milk.

» Episode 53 - 2006-07-26

Puzzle:
All the electricity was out in Aberdeen. None of the street lights or traffic signals had power. A dark limousine was cruising down the newly paved blacktop, with its headlights off. A young boy dressed totally in black (with no reflectors) stepped out to cross the street. The moon wasn’t out and the boy had no flashlight, yet the driver stopped to let the boy cross the street. How did the driver see the boy?

Answer:
It was daytime

» Episode 52 - 2006-07-19

Puzzle:
If you are floating in a boat on a pond, and you are holding a 20lb cannon ball – if you drop the cannon ball overboard into the pond will the level of the pond rise, fall, or stay the same? (Contributed by listener John Maddox)

Answer:
the level of the pond will fall. The ball displaces its full weight in water when floating on the boat, but once in the pond it only displaces it’s volume in water. Since it is denser than water, its weight in water is greater than its volume in water.

» Episode 51 - 2006-07-12

Puzzle:
When is a boomerang a type of dinnerware?

Answer:
If the dinnerware is a saucer – when Kenneth Arnold reported the first modern UFO’s sighting he described them as boomerang shaped but described their movement as skipping like a saucer. The term flying saucer was coined, and from that point forward the saucer shape has become the standard icon for alien spacecraft.

» Episode 50 - 2006-07-05

Puzzle:
Name the medical pseudoscience that, although now thoroughly disproved and rejected by mainstream science, at its inception was on the correct side of a major scientific debate of the time.

Answer:
Phrenology Alternate answer: Homeopathy

» Episode 49 - 2006-06-28

Puzzle:
In the old game show, Let’s Make A Deal, contestants were asked to pick which of three doors they thought contained a valuable prize. Once the contestant picked a door, the host, Monty Hall, would often open one of the two doors not chosen and then ask the contestant if they would like to change their pick to the other door left unopened. The question is, should a contestant stick with their original choice, change to the other door, or there is no difference statistically?

Answer:
The contestant should change her pick to the other door. If she sticks with her first pick her chances of winning is 1/3, if she changes her pick her chances of winning is 2/3.

» Episode 48 - 2006-06-21

Puzzle:
Two men, both were freemasons: Man A invented an instrument that Man B used as part of a pseudoscience that he invented. Man A also famously debunked the claims of Man B. Who were the two men, and what was the instrument?

Answer:
The two men were Benjamin Franklin and Franz Anton Mesmer; the instrument was the glass armonica.

------------------

Hi folks, I've really been enjoying the weekly puzzles and like to take them to  my friends and family. I've put together this list of all the weekly puzzles I could find. This way I can check one page and see all the puzzles, or print or email a link of the whole list. I'll be updating it each week with the new puzzles and answers. Maybe someone could sticky this?

personate-rain