Author Topic: The Creation Museum  (Read 4974 times)

Offline gost

• Keeps Priorities Straight
The Creation Museum
« on: June 17, 2006, 05:32:16 PM »
"Embark on the adventure of a lifetime . . ." Take a virtual walk through the Creation Museum. Brought to you by the good folks at Answers in Genesis.

Here I learned that T. rex was "the terror that Adam's sin unleashed!" and that "the science of anthropology actually confirms the Bible's history!" They also have courses, books, and videos on how to debate with skeptics, how to refute evolution, how to become a biblical archaeologist or creation scientist, how to get religious rights in public schools, and much much more. These folks are media savy and very well organized.

Offline cyborganics

• http://www.cyborganics.org
The Creation Museum
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 09:34:03 PM »
A great example of why so many rational (skeptical) people are getting more and more pissed with the anyone who is religious, which is a shame because it all only helps to further polarize divided worldviews. We need to be calm and well spoken but in the face of manipulative B.S. like this it's hard not to be angry.
cientist: A man who knows nothing until there is nothing left to understand.

www.cyborganics.org

Offline Wonko the Sane

• Well Established
The Creation Museum
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 10:12:58 PM »
I though this was pretty funny, number 12 on their tour of the museum is the "Bible Authority Room", here is the description they gave

The Bible is true. No doubt about it! Paul explains God’s authoritative Word, and everyone who rejects His history—including six-day creation and Noah’s Flood—is ‘willfully’ ignorant.
'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

"People in bamboo houses should not throw pandas" -Jesus

Offline Veljko

• Off to a Start
The Creation Museum
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 03:50:34 AM »
Oh people are being willfully ignorant all right...

*sigh*

Sorry, our local brands of lunatic here in Serbia don't go for the inerrancy of the Bible thing (mostly because they failed to read the damned thing)  -- how do these fruitcakes explain the contradictions in the Bible? I mean, amongst other things, doesn't the book of Genesis have two utterly different creation stories?
ASA cunningly faked the Moon landings by filming all the video on the Moon.

Offline gost

The Creation Museum
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 03:09:32 PM »
I'd never thought about this before, but building a museum is kind of an interesting way to legitimize your claims. Sort of an argument from authority, I suppose. We've had another recent thread about the new Bigfoot Museum in Idaho as well. There's a UFO museum in Roswell too, I think, and probably many others of various kinds.

"Of course creationism must be true, they had to build a museum to house all the evidence. They even have a planetarium to show how the Big Bang REALLY happened. . ."

"Sure I believe in bigfoot. You should see the museum they have in Idaho. Set up by some university feller. . ."

I have to agree with Wonko, I found it pretty funny as well. But then again... Here's a different quote I found on another part of this site:

"There is a war being waged, and Answers in Genesis and the Creation Museum are on the front line. It is a spiritual war being fought over the authority of God’s Word, and at stake in this war are the souls of millions of people"

For some reason, having Christers making militant references about waging war turns my blood a little cold.

Offline Wonko the Sane

• Well Established
The Creation Museum
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 04:53:35 PM »
Speaking of Christians waging war hav you seen this new video game called Left Behind. Here is an article on it. http://www.talk2action.org/story/2006/5/29/195855/959

here Is the description
you are a foot soldier in a paramilitary group whose purpose is to remake America as a Christian theocracy, and establish its worldly vision of the dominion of Christ over all aspects of life. You are issued high-tech military weaponry, and instructed to engage the infidel on the streets of New York City. You are on a mission - both a religious mission and a military mission -- to convert or kill Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, gays, and anyone who advocates the separation of church and state - especially moderate, mainstream Christians. Your mission is "to conduct physical and spiritual warfare"; all who resist must be taken out with extreme prejudice

A teaser trailer
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/video_player/popup.php?sid=6130072&pid=928956
'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

"People in bamboo houses should not throw pandas" -Jesus

Offline Will

• Off to a Start
    • http://www.willandiris.org
Video game
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 10:20:10 PM »
I don't have the link handy, but Mark Morford wrote a very entertaining article in sfgate.com about that video game.  He's pretty harsh on the religious right, but justifiably so, in my opinion.

Will

Will and Iris podcast:  www.willandiris.org

Offline gost

The Creation Museum
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 11:18:08 PM »
Wow. I was sure that this game must have been intended to make fun of evangelicals and to make them look bad by portraying them as sadistic killers (which I would not support), but was shocked to see that the developers may have an affiliation to Rick Warren, the self-styled "Stealth Evangelist" and his Purpose Driven Church and plan to market through his ministries. Amazing.