Author Topic: Podcast #47  (Read 22770 times)

Offline Thakkus

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Podcast #47
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2006, 06:39:44 PM »
Quote from: "JD"
Yeah, I'll roll with the 'complete garbage' perspective on christianity.

We can just leave it at that.
ou're a fanstastic audience.  Thank you ladies and gentlemen.  Thank you very much.

Offline Simpukka

• Off to a Start
100 milloin degrees in gas cloud - impossible?
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2006, 10:28:32 AM »
Quote from: Wonko the Sane
Quote from: "Joe Shmoe"
I'm not sure I believe the super-big super-fast ball of fire thing either, but ESA's website has the article. Link below:
http://www.esa.int/esaSC/SEMWD1AATME_index_0.html
Same here, I want to clarify is the 100 million degree temperature an average temperature for the whole mass or are only parts of it that hot? It would seem that anything that massive would have collapsed into a black hole long ago.

I am listening the old shows thus commenting to these threads a bit late. I believe that in the episode 4X it was mentioned that the suns surface is about 11000 F / 6000 C. The corona of the sun on the other hand is millions of degrees. How can this be if the surface is only few k degrees? How can there be a "temperature barrier" and then two extremely hot things on both sides (corona and internal parts of the sun).

The answer is the way temperature is defined. I don't have the exact definition here but basically it has something to do with how fast the particles are moving/what is the energy stored in them.

Thus if we have single molecule which has high enough energy we can say that the temperature of this molecule is millions of degrees. So what is the consequence? Would you burn up if this molecule was to hit you? No your would not.

Now extend the thinking that if we have this kind of molecules 1 pieces in one cubic mile of space. We have thus very very very undence gas which has really really (I like this) high temperature. You could thus actually survive in this hot gas cloud. Well your would propably die of other reasons like vacuum or coldness of space.

Please have a look at this link for really short and simple explanation:

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/CCoraThomas.shtml
 Assume a round cow.

personate-rain