Author Topic: 50 Books for 2008: Discussion Thread  (Read 29560 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline kikyo

  • Groovy Groovy Kitty
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • *******
  • Posts: 4399
  • Chu! ^_^
    • View Profile
50 Books for 2008: Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 02:30:43 am »
Maybe it shouldn't be a 50 book challenge so much as a "read as many books as you can" challenge. Then people don't have to be leary of joining it because they read long books or whatever.

I just like the idea of us posting our reading lists here so we can look and get ideas. BTW, 2112 my husband says that he read a book similar to your "Happiness Hypothesis" book. It's called "Stumbling on Happiness" by Daniel Gilbert. It sounds tres interesant.

I haven't gotten him to be regular SGU listener, but I make him listen to it sometimes in the car, and as a result, he bought Quirkology. I am proud. He reads more science books than I do, so I should really be posting his reading list.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline Calvyn

  • Well Established
  • *****
  • Posts: 1972
  • Nobody is prepared for parenthood.
    • View Profile
    • Secular Fatherhood
50 Books for 2008: Discussion Thread
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 03:56:41 am »
1. The Golden Compass
Returning to the net after a two year absence.  Newly wed, new baby, new job, new blog.

Offline Øyvind

  • Seasoned Contributor
  • ****
  • Posts: 953
    • View Profile
50 Books for 2008: Discussion Thread
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 08:49:47 am »
1. Fragile Things, by Neil Gaiman.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline chionactis

  • moonlit leaves rustling, empty parking lot, tiny astronaut above the mountainside
  • Frequent Poster
  • ******
  • Posts: 2290
    • View Profile
50 Books for 2008: Discussion Thread
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 04:02:24 pm »
I like it.

In October of 2003, I started keeping track of the books I read. There has been a steady decline:

2004 - 40
2005 - 26
2006 - 15
2007 - 10

The average is only 22.75/year.

But now I am going to read like the wind!


1) A Separate War and Other Stories by Joe Haldeman - in progress
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline thefellswooper

  • One of the wittiest statisticians on the forum.
  • Frequent Poster
  • ******
  • Posts: 3447
  • Statist
    • View Profile
50 Books for 2008: Discussion Thread
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 04:56:53 pm »
I spend so much time shilling for librarything on this forum that I should be on their payroll.  But, hey, Zeno's there now!  

I thought I'd mention that there's a very active 50 Book Challenge group there, where people post their lists and discuss, etc.
"What I tell you three times is true."
-Lewis Carroll, The Hunting of the Snark

Offline kikyo

  • Groovy Groovy Kitty
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • *******
  • Posts: 4399
  • Chu! ^_^
    • View Profile
50 Books for 2008: Discussion Thread
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 06:21:40 pm »
Okay, fine. I joined it. It is going to take me forever to add all my books, though. Right now I added my latest ones and when I am bored I will go into my room and look through bookshelves. Maybe by the time I read the 50 books, I will also have put my whole library in that website!
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline LaPalida

  • Frequent Poster
  • ******
  • Posts: 3690
  • To thy own self be true.
    • View Profile
50 Books for 2008: Discussion Thread
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2008, 07:26:13 pm »
Quote from: "kikyo"
Maybe it shouldn't be a 50 book challenge so much as a "read as many books as you can" challenge. Then people don't have to be leary of joining it because they read long books or whatever.

I just like the idea of us posting our reading lists here so we can look and get ideas. BTW, 2112 my husband says that he read a book similar to your "Happiness Hypothesis" book. It's called "Stumbling on Happiness" by Daniel Gilbert. It sounds tres interesant.

I haven't gotten him to be regular SGU listener, but I make him listen to it sometimes in the car, and as a result, he bought Quirkology. I am proud. He reads more science books than I do, so I should really be posting his reading list.


Good idea... but still 50 books is like an incentive to read as much as you can. I know I'm a terribly slow reader but I would join in regardless. It's fun and you do get tons of ideas for stuff to read.
"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure."
- Mark Twain

Offline Belgarath

  • Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • *****
  • Posts: 11935
    • View Profile
50 Books for 2008: Discussion Thread
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2008, 07:35:09 pm »
I tend to read much more than most people here (apparently)

I should complete the 50 books by May.  I'm only going post them as I complete them.  (the last one will be the 'in progress' book)

1) Talon of the Silver Hawk by Raymond Feist
2) King of Foxes by Raymond Feist - in Progress
#non-belief denialist

Offline Vellon

  • Keeps Priorities Straight
  • ***
  • Posts: 365
  • Zebra > You
    • View Profile
50 Books for 2008: Discussion Thread
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008, 09:39:39 pm »
I have a 1 hour bus trip each way to work and I listen to a lot of audiobooks while I'm working so this should overcome 50 pretty quick.

1.  Next by Michael Chricton
2. 2061 : Odyssey Three by Arthur C Clarke (Currently Reading)
3. The Eye of the World (Book One of the Wheel of Time) by Robert Jordan (Currently Listening;Audiobook)

I read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy, I'm going to use this thread as a means to get myself reading more non-fiction.  My room-mate has God Delusion and I plan to start there.

Offline thefellswooper

  • One of the wittiest statisticians on the forum.
  • Frequent Poster
  • ******
  • Posts: 3447
  • Statist
    • View Profile
50 Books for 2008: Discussion Thread
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2008, 10:44:57 pm »
Quote from: "kikyo"
Okay, fine. I joined it. It is going to take me forever to add all my books, though. Right now I added my latest ones and when I am bored I will go into my room and look through bookshelves. Maybe by the time I read the 50 books, I will also have put my whole library in that website!


You can always get a cuecat bar code scanner to speed up the process ;)
"What I tell you three times is true."
-Lewis Carroll, The Hunting of the Snark

Offline LaPalida

  • Frequent Poster
  • ******
  • Posts: 3690
  • To thy own self be true.
    • View Profile
50 Books for 2008: Discussion Thread
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2008, 10:50:54 pm »
Quote from: "Vellon"
I have a 1 hour bus trip each way to work and I listen to a lot of audiobooks while I'm working so this should overcome 50 pretty quick.

1.  Next by Michael Chricton
2. 2061 : Odyssey Three by Arthur C Clarke (Currently Reading)
3. The Eye of the World (Book One of the Wheel of Time) by Robert Jordan (Currently Listening;Audiobook)

I read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy, I'm going to use this thread as a means to get myself reading more non-fiction.  My room-mate has God Delusion and I plan to start there.


Hey was Next good? I bought it recently.
"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure."
- Mark Twain

Offline Mr36

  • Well Established
  • *****
  • Posts: 1708
  • The Skeptical Poet (Apparently)
    • View Profile
50 Books for 2008: Discussion Thread
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2008, 10:56:42 pm »
LIST OF BOOKS I AM CURRENTLY OR HAVE ALREADY READ IN 2008

1: Dune - Frank Herbert (Currently Reading)
2: The Demon Haunted World - Carl Sagan (Will read when I finish Dune)
3: The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (Am trying to find)
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline kikyo

  • Groovy Groovy Kitty
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • *******
  • Posts: 4399
  • Chu! ^_^
    • View Profile
50 Books for 2008: Discussion Thread
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2008, 11:59:25 pm »
Quote from: "thefellswooper"
Quote from: "kikyo"
Okay, fine. I joined it. It is going to take me forever to add all my books, though. Right now I added my latest ones and when I am bored I will go into my room and look through bookshelves. Maybe by the time I read the 50 books, I will also have put my whole library in that website!


You can always get a cuecat bar code scanner to speed up the process ;)


NERD

 :wink:
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline Artemisia

  • Seasoned Contributor
  • ****
  • Posts: 748
    • View Profile
50 Books for 2008: Discussion Thread
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2008, 01:42:20 am »
I'm up for this. I'm actually hoping to read a lot of young adult fiction this year to try to find something to put on the booklist that I don't mind teaching (as opposed to the usual stuff which makes me want to gouge my eyes out). I've just read the Dark Materials series and I'm keen to add Norther Lights to our taught texts. If anyone has any to recommend, please let me know.

Here is my list.
1. Why is Uranus upside down? Fred Watson
2. The Evolution Revolution: Design without intelligence - Ken McNamara and John Long
3. The Ancestors Tale: Richard Dawkins
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline Alt

  • Off to a Start
  • *
  • Posts: 40
  • de omnibus dubitandum
    • View Profile
50 Books for 2008: Discussion Thread
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2008, 07:30:09 am »
I'm never going to get through 50. Don't have time for that. Might as well keep track of what I read, though.

1. "The Ancestors Tale" - Richard Dawkins
Decent Enough. No need for a description here of all places.

2. "Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to Know" - Ranulph Fiennes (reading)
Autobiography of a famous English explorer. Holds a ton of records for polar travel amongst other things. Something of a national treasure. Currently half way through the book. Really interesting stuff. Don't read unless you're prepared for your manhood to take a blow.