Author Topic: SGU Distributed Computing Teams: folding@home, seti@home etc  (Read 83473 times)

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: SGU Distributed Computing Teams: folding@home, seti@home etc
« Reply #165 on: December 06, 2009, 04:11:37 PM »
I just joined the team. I generally follow stats on the BOINCstats.com website.

Some handy links:

Team's Combined Project Stats

Team Member Stats

And stat summary image:

3rd place! Core 2 Duo baby!

Offline leonet

• Well Established
    • http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?un=leonet&t=39227
« Reply #166 on: December 09, 2009, 12:28:20 PM »
It's nice to see the folding initiative still going strong.  I'm currently building my new workstation with a Quad Core i5 processor so I should be delivering a points boost shortly, but I was wondering if anyone here is doing GPU computing . . .
Use the word cybernetics, Norbert, because nobody knows what it means. This will always put you at an advantage in arguments.” -Claude Shannon

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #167 on: December 09, 2009, 07:39:49 PM »
It's nice to see the folding initiative still going strong.  I'm currently building my new workstation with a Quad Core i5 processor so I should be delivering a points boost shortly, but I was wondering if anyone here is doing GPU computing . . .

yep, for both seti and GPUgrid on my GTS 250,  but there is does not seem to be as much work for it.

Offline DOTHACK

• Brand New
« Reply #168 on: January 26, 2010, 04:48:41 AM »
Insert Quote

I do, and i just joined the team on folding@home with my GTX285 !

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #169 on: March 07, 2010, 09:18:36 AM »
sweet, just got my first job from LHC in a long damn time.

Offline esquilax

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #170 on: March 31, 2010, 06:23:51 AM »
My recent average credit is higher than the whole Rosetta@Home team!

http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/hosts_user.php?userid=367538

I'm glad I could join SGU's team.

Offline spacemonkey

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #171 on: April 20, 2010, 04:09:41 PM »
Hi guys I just wanted to ask a question:

Is there anyway to regulate cpu usage while using Bionic? I want to help but when I installed it on my AMD PhenomII X4 945, it was always at 100% and, since electricity is insanly expensive here... i want to help but can't because it would cost a fortune and fry my pc.
My blog (spanish): ciencianoficcion.wordpress.com

Offline michaelbnewman

• Brand New
    • Mike Newman's Homepage
« Reply #172 on: April 21, 2010, 09:18:23 PM »
Hi guys I just wanted to ask a question:

Is there anyway to regulate cpu usage while using Bionic? I want to help but when I installed it on my AMD PhenomII X4 945, it was always at 100% and, since electricity is insanly expensive here... i want to help but can't because it would cost a fortune and fry my pc.

In the BOINC Manager, go to "Advanced --> Preferences" in the menu bar. You should get a screen similar to the image below. At the bottom you can choose how many cores to use on a multi-core system, which helps cut down usage.

Offline RyanC

• Off to a Start
« Reply #173 on: April 22, 2010, 11:48:28 PM »
I run BOINC 24/7, cant be bothered with the various project additions and teams.. goo
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe" - Carl Sagan

(formerly known as feign_ignorence)

Offline Havermayer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #174 on: August 03, 2010, 06:02:32 PM »
I've made teams for most BOINC projects, folding@home, and World Community grid.  I'm in the process of making a FAQ on the CFI forums. 

Can I use this thread as a template to start?  It would be easier than starting anew. 

Specifically this part: 

distributed computing is a method of computer processing in which different parts of a program, or different portions of data, are processing simultaneously on two or more computers that are communicating with each other over a network, or through the internet. 

By downloading and installing project software, you can donate your idle processor time to a worthy scientific goal.  Your computer will periodically (usually every few days or so) download a chunk of data, work on it when  it's not doing anything else, then return the results and download a new chunk.  This all happens automatically, in the background. 

By joining a team, the data your computer processes is credited both to you as an individual, and to the team as a whole.  Download the software, join the team, and help publicize the SGU, as well as making a real contribution to scientific research.  I suggest you sign up using your SGU forums name (or something like yournameFromSGU if the name is already taken) so we can tell who's who.  But hey, that's up to you.
World Community Grid
Use your computer's idle time for cancer research.

Offline stickman

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #175 on: August 15, 2010, 01:01:48 AM »
I've made teams for most BOINC projects, folding@home, and World Community grid.  I'm in the process of making a FAQ on the CFI forums. 

Can I use this thread as a template to start?  It would be easier than starting anew. 

Sure thing, Havermayer.  Feel free to steal anything of use to you.

The best debates are the ones in which I'm proven wrong.  Then I've learned something.

Offline lardbeetle

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #176 on: September 09, 2010, 08:56:54 AM »
Are people active with this?  I've got a multi-core laptop and a desktop that runs the GPU client on a Geforce 8800 SLI setup, but I'm currently on team 10571.
"Question with boldness even the existence of God; because if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear." ~ Thomas Jefferson
"The communist party must command all the guns, so no guns can ever be used to command the party."~ Mao

Offline Oh_Really

• Off to a Start
« Reply #177 on: October 21, 2010, 11:58:18 AM »
Reply to lardbeetle:

Please defect to team 101561

I too am using the nvidia gpu folding at home client.  Right now I am using a single 8800 card.  Your system should be able to contribute more points than mine.  While the SGU team is currently ranked at 928 (compared to your current team's rank of 598), with a little healthy competition the SGU team could rise quickly.

Compare teams using these links:
Humanists, Atheists and Freethinkers http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=10571
Skeptics Guide to the Universe http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=101561

Fair warning.  I am planning some upgrades that should give me a significant boost in my Points Per Day.  (I am user jacksdl on the folding at home status reports.)

Join us on the SGU FAH team and we'll push the team up to (or nearer) the top.

--- note to Martianbob --- I should exceed your point total before the end of the month.  You need to start contributing again if you want to retain your lead.

Offline lardbeetle

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #178 on: October 21, 2010, 10:43:39 PM »
mmk, switched
"Question with boldness even the existence of God; because if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear." ~ Thomas Jefferson
"The communist party must command all the guns, so no guns can ever be used to command the party."~ Mao

Offline Oh_Really

• Off to a Start
Please check my logic
« Reply #179 on: October 29, 2010, 10:04:23 AM »
I'm participating on the SGU Folding at Home team.  Although it is obviously worthwhile research, It sometimes seems wasteful and expensive to run all those extra watts.  But it is almost winter here in Illinois. One way or another I'm going to be burning watts to keep my home warm.

Since virtually all the energy going into a computer comes out as heat, isn't it just offsetting slightly the energy I would run through my furnace or a space heater?  It would be virtually the same energy consumed, but some of it would be helping solve problems with protein folding.  Who knows, maybe it will lead to a cure for magical thinking.

It would be great to run the GPU based folding at home app on several of my underutilized computers with a clear conscience.