Author Topic: SGU Distributed Computing Teams: folding@home, seti@home etc  (Read 54527 times)

Offline lardbeetle

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: SGU Distributed Computing Teams: folding@home, seti@home etc
« Reply #180 on: October 29, 2010, 05:42:10 PM »
Computers consume about 100 to 400 watts depending on level of usage, and yes, that all goes into heat.
"Question with boldness even the existence of God; because if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear." ~ Thomas Jefferson
"The communist party must command all the guns, so no guns can ever be used to command the party."~ Mao

Offline ieatgravel

• Off to a Start
« Reply #181 on: November 28, 2010, 04:31:56 AM »
I was unable to get the "Join Team" link to work for me on the SGU team for SETI, so I "hacked" the link.  If you're logged in to your SETI account, you should be able to join by going to this link: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_join.php?&tnow=1290936261&ttok=8ab4b777b6c437e85d21982a891ebe34&teamid=135140

Offline Mr. Pedantic

• Off to a Start
« Reply #182 on: July 18, 2011, 04:38:41 AM »
Computers consume about 100 to 400 watts depending on level of usage, and yes, that all goes into heat.
Depending on the hardware and the usage scenario, power draw can be anywhere between ~20W to approaching 2kW (e.g. mini-ITX Atom system at idle vs. overclocked dual-socket system with multiple overclocked GPUs at full load). But yes, most people's desktop computers would consume between 1-400W depending on usage. And almost all of it goes into heat.

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #183 on: July 29, 2011, 06:15:29 PM »
Depending on the hardware and the usage scenario, power draw can be anywhere between ~20W to approaching 2kW (e.g. mini-ITX Atom system at idle vs. overclocked dual-socket system with multiple overclocked GPUs at full load). But yes, most people's desktop computers would consume between 1-400W depending on usage. And almost all of it goes into heat.

Living up to your name I see.

Offline cowtreat

• Off to a Start
  • whatever Carl Sagan said
« Reply #184 on: September 02, 2011, 12:25:49 PM »
I'm with you in spirit but changing stuff just brings me to dead ends.  I'm doing cosmology and seti.  I wish I could do all of them.  They should do it on smartphones when they finish charging. 

This program is perfect for someone as dumb and lazy as me who wants to do something for something.  The hum of the fan on my computer is me helping science well I look for the perfect set of boobs on the internet.
giver and keep on givener

Offline Anders

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #185 on: October 19, 2011, 05:33:46 AM »

How much computers would you need to heat your house? I'm imagining a world where heating is payed for by the calculations performed by the computers...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

Offline Mr. Pedantic

• Off to a Start
« Reply #186 on: February 27, 2012, 01:41:08 PM »
Nobody's folding anymore?

Living up to your name I see.

Well, it's fair enough. But I acknowledge, that if you are enough of a power user to have a computer consuming more than 4-500W at load, then you'd probably know.

Offline Jay_One

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #187 on: February 27, 2012, 05:13:11 PM »
Kinda glad for the necropost, or I wouldn't have encountered this thread. I usually leave folding@home on whenever my PC is on. At least now I can be part of a team!  :)
A man reading a thesaurus saunters into a tavern.

Offline kb

• Well Established
  • Omne ignotum pro magnifico est
    • This is not a blog
« Reply #188 on: March 11, 2012, 09:37:12 AM »
Fired up Boinc  for the first time in years last week and also installed it on two computers at work. Think I'll be running only Rosetta.
"And I'm also one of these people. I don't really care about being right you know I just care about success." - Steve Jobs, Triumph of the Nerds

Offline Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #189 on: September 02, 2016, 12:40:05 PM »
Is this still a thing?

Offline Skulker

• Mafia Pimp
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • I survived both forum crashes of 2014!
« Reply #190 on: September 02, 2016, 02:21:46 PM »
Mine are still running but I'm not part of any team. Doing SETI, Einstein and Enigma.
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
- Larry Hardiman

personate-rain