Author Topic: Ads  (Read 30487 times)

Offline Larry Coon

• Not Enough Spare Time
Ads
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2006, 02:09:57 PM »
Quote from: "Mike"
It must be easier for churches to receive contributions than skeptical groups.

"Send me money, send me green, heaven you will meet.  Make a contribution and you'll get the better seat"

And a tax deduction.

Offline Larry Coon

• Not Enough Spare Time
Ads
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2006, 02:21:51 PM »
Is there any procedure to follow when you click?   Can I just click, close, click, close, click, close, contemplate the fact that I have WAY too much time on my hands, click, close?  Or do I have to interact with the site that it sends me to?

Do you want the nefarious answer?

Google algorithmically senses click spamming, and will boot sites that do so.  And once banned, it's very difficult to prove yourself innocent.

Not that I'm suggesting anything....

Offline mickal777

• Beleth Gave Me 100 Gold
  • Stopped Going Outside
    • Trip to Japan
Ads
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2006, 02:25:12 PM »
..aparently your not supposed to tell us to click either

But it's OK(I think) as this isn't part of the site

Still... be careful guys...

Offline Timothy Clemans

• Seasoned Contributor
Ads
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2006, 02:25:48 PM »
Quote from: "Larry Coon"

"Send me money, send me green, heaven you will meet.  Make a contribution and you'll get the better seat"

And a tax deduction.

At Highland Park Church of the Nazarene where my parents and I go, a lot of money is raised for international missions and several of the church members are missionaries and one in particular is in her seventies and still does many work and mission trips. There are some good Nazarene hospitals in some pretty important places. For alabaster and some other programs, all the donations go directly toward building churches, schools, and hospitals.
url=http://www.theskepticsguide.org][/url]

Offline Timothy Clemans

• Seasoned Contributor
Ads
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2006, 03:33:35 PM »
Hey I may might want to host my website with Host Monster and buy some books from Amazon.com

"By driving customers to sign-up at HostMonster, you will receive $65.00 per referral. What could be better than offering a great service to those that visit your web site, and making a healthy sum on the side for doing so? You send them our way, we'll do the rest." - http://www.hostmonster.com/affiliates.htm

http://affiliate-program.amazon.com/gp/associates/join

Offline jason

• Frequent Poster
Ads
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2006, 03:48:00 PM »
Quote from: "Timothy Clemans"
At Highland Park Church of the Nazarene where my parents and I go, a lot of money is raised for international missions and several of the church members are missionaries and one in particular is in her seventies and still does many work and mission trips. There are some good Nazarene hospitals in some pretty important places. For alabaster and some other programs, all the donations go directly toward building churches, schools, and hospitals.

Personally (and this is most definitely an individual preference), I feel uncomfortable about supporting any organised religion, regardless of its (possibly quite genuine) benefits. My own contributions go to secular organisations such as Médecins Sans Frontières; such groups are certainly doing very good things, but without any accompanying worldview.
quot;Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick
"Scientific skepticism: the buck stops at reality."

Offline Timothy Clemans

• Seasoned Contributor
Ads
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2006, 03:50:37 PM »
Quote from: "jason"
Quote from: "Timothy Clemans"

Personally (and this is most definitely an individual preference), I feel uncomfortable about supporting any organised religion, regardless of its (possibly quite genuine) benefits. My own contributions go to secular organisations such as Médecins Sans Frontières; such groups are certainly doing very good things, but without any accompanying worldview.

You are right on the money. But hey my parents are christians and I have to go to church.

Offline Havermayer

• Seasoned Contributor
Some non-skeptical ads!
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2006, 05:50:02 PM »
"Intelligent Design Facts
Scientific discoveries support ID See articles, links and resources
www.y-Origins.com"

"Creation Or Evolution?
Is evolution just a theory? You can prove creation. Order free booklet.
www.gnmagazine.org/evolution/"

...these are not the kinds of things a Skeptics society should be advertising :/
World Community Grid
Use your computer's idle time for cancer research.

Offline Timothy Clemans

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: Some non-skeptical ads!
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2006, 06:01:09 PM »
Quote from: "Havermayer"
"Intelligent Design Facts
Scientific discoveries support ID See articles, links and resources
www.y-Origins.com"

"Creation Or Evolution?
Is evolution just a theory? You can prove creation. Order free booklet.
www.gnmagazine.org/evolution/"

...these are not the kinds of things a Skeptics society should be advertising :/

Hopefully the sites can be moved to the $ 4.95 host I've mentioned. http://www.top10webhosting.com/hostmonster.php

Offline Durnett

• Off to a Start
Ads
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2006, 08:58:02 PM »

That's a gross mis-statement of the position of most mainstream Christian religions. Almost all Protestant denominations have a clearly stated doctrine that "good works" don't get people into heaven, that people cannot possible earn such a reward, and that people can only go on to a blissful afterlife because God extends his Grace to them, unearned.

Yes, I know the comment was a joke and that there are a lot of TV evangelists who have a strict cash-before-heaven policy, but it scratches the surface of a bigger issue. Even though the major religions tell people that paying ain't going to get you a good seat, people still pay.

There was an article on Marketplace today that pointed out that the single biggest indicator of a person's likelihood to donate to charity was their view of themselves as "religious". Religious people give more to charity than non-religious. That's an important point to understand and analyze if you want to raise money from skeptics and free-thinkers!

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
Ads
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2006, 09:10:23 PM »
It's actually a line from the song "Leper Messiah" by Metallica. :)
"We're just so damn exciting." - Dr. Steven Novella, MD

Offline Durnett

• Off to a Start
Ads
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2006, 09:26:58 PM »
and here I was thinking that you were a poet...

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
Ads
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2006, 09:52:57 PM »
Oh I am a poet,
You just didn't know it,
When my car breaks down I call to tow it,
When my shirt rips I go and sew it,
and when the lawn gets too long I mow it.
"We're just so damn exciting." - Dr. Steven Novella, MD

Offline jason

• Frequent Poster
Ads
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2006, 11:44:06 PM »
Quote from: "Durnett"
There was an article on Marketplace today that pointed out that the single biggest indicator of a person's likelihood to donate to charity was their view of themselves as "religious". Religious people give more to charity than non-religious. That's an important point to understand and analyze if you want to raise money from skeptics and free-thinkers!

The biggest impediment in extracting money from anyone with some critical thinking skills is that they'll want to be sure that what they're contributing is actually going to be used for something meaningful. Almost by definition, a believer will hand over the cash for good cause without paying too much attention about exactly what it'll be used for, having complete faith (of course) in the institution to do the right thing.
quot;Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick
"Scientific skepticism: the buck stops at reality."

Offline Timothy Clemans

• Seasoned Contributor
Ads
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2006, 08:50:23 PM »
Hey great job on the new ads. Skeptic magazine, podcasting ads...

personate-rain