Author Topic: End of Year Survey  (Read 12842 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
End of Year Survey
« on: December 16, 2006, 12:48:56 PM »
We will be recording our end of the year review episode next week. We would like our forum members to answer a quick survey, and we will read the results on the program. The questions are below. Just copy and paste and either send them to us in e-mail or post them on this thread.

Please submit your choices by Tuesday Dec 19th.

Thank you in advance.

Survey:

1.Favorite remark made on the show by each panelist
2.Best snarky comment
3.Most entertaining guest
4.Worst interviewee
5.Most annoying/hated psudoscientist mentioned on the show.
6.Best SGU episode
7. Gullible jerk of the year (the person who did the most to confuse the public about science and promote pseudoscience or paranormal beliefs
8.Cool skeptic of the year (person who did the most to promote scientific skepticism, excluding the rogues, of course).
9.Most outrageous illogical statement or pseudoscientific claim
10.Most unexpected scientific discovery
11."Dude, that's totally weak." (lamest defense of nonsense of the year)
12.Most unbelievable but true science or fiction entry.
13.Funniest segment on the show

Finally, suggest a name to represent 2006 for SGU - i.e. 2006 was the year of the "blank."
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline cosmicvagabond

• Frequent Poster
End of Year Survey
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 05:59:15 PM »
These are just off the top of my head. I gotta think about the rest:

2. Rebecca to Perry: "Are you holding a penis?"
3. Phil Plaitt and Seth Shostak were entertaining, but I gotta go with Joe Nickell.
4. Neal Adams
5. I don't know if she qualifies as a pseudo-scientist: Sylvia Browne. If not, then Kent Hovind.
7. George W. Bush
8. Judge John Jones in the Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District case.
10. The increasing expansion rate of the universe

2006 was The Year Of The Expanding Earth.
Bold ideas, unjustified anticipations, and speculative thoughts are our only means for interpreting nature... Those among us who are unwilling to expose their ideas to the hazard of refutation do not take part in the scientific game.    ---Karl Popper, "The Logic of Scientific Discovery"

Offline sheila

• Not Enough Spare Time
Re: End of Year Survey
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 04:31:44 PM »
1.  (Jay) Wait, Bob, Bob, Bob, stop...just stop.  Think about what Steve just said and trip out on how horrific it would be to be that guy or girl that wakes up being raised by a robot and there’s like 2 other people around.  And you’re living in like a freakin’ pup tent in another solar system and they tell you, the robots say to you, “Hey, you know, a hundred light years away, there’s this tricked out planet and they’ve got all this awesome stuff and everything.  And I’ll tell you right now, they’re not sending a Play Station over there.”
3.Phil Plait
4. Neil Adams
6.Impossible to pick just one
8. Richard Dawkins (John Stewart?)
9. Sylvester Stallone's mom reading, uh, butts
13.News/emails when the panel has time to riff and ad lib (what happened to name the logical fallacy?)
Finally, 2006 was the year Kent Hovind went to jail/we lost a planet
Hoping to god on high is like clinging to straws while drowning - Dave Matthews
I heard they found a shark and it was full of thermite  - Rebecca Watson

Offline ATGreat

• Not Enough Spare Time
End of Year Survey
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 10:16:59 PM »
1. Too many moments to think of just one.
2. Rebecca to Perry - "Are you holding a penis?"
3. Phil Plait
4. Are you asking for an interview where the interviewee was not up to the show's normal standards in discussing their subject or the interviewee that was the whackiest with their "Theory"? Assuming you mean the Wackiest, it's Neal Adams. But that interview was more fun than B. Alan Wallace's interview. I could listed to Neal Adams again, B. Alan Wallace sounded like he got so deap into his theory, he lost himself.
So, worst because they are really wacky - Neal Adams, worst as an interviewee because he couldn't stay focused - B. Alan Wallace.
5. Kent Hovind
6. Tied Episode 50 Neal Adams or 60 9/11 myths.
7. George Bush and the Republican Party? Too easy. Ann Coulter for the win.
8. John Stewart for the mass media, Richard Dawkins for a real scientist.
9. Drowning is a sea of choices.  Fast pick - What Neal Adams said.
10. Vacuum Energy.
11. Anything Kent Hovind said.
12. Too many items to remember.
13. The Emails segment.

Finally, suggest a name to represent 2006 for SGU - i.e. 2006 was the year of the "blank."

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
End of Year Survey
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 12:59:33 AM »
1. Steven Novella: “We’re just so damn exciting” – Episode 33
    Bob Novella: “They have to put billions of dollars into this!!”
    Jay Novella: Alright… bring the bacon on, I’ll eat it. – Episode 36
    Perry DeAngelis: Any monkey worth his salt would give any bird a beak-flip! – Episode 53
    Rebecca Watson: I won’t mate with any of the true believers – (I forget which episode)
    Evan Bernstein: “We’ll break out the poetry at another time in the future” – Episode 59 (Still waiting for it! :) )
2. Dr Novella: “So, this is pure pseudoscience. This is slick marketing, and you can tell your mommy and daddy I said so.” – Regarding Neurolink, Episode 71
3. Phil Plait – The Bad Astronomer
4. B. Alan Wallace
5. Sylvia Browne
6. Episode 46 – Interview with Phil Plait
7. Kent Hovind
8. There are so many to choose from… and this is a good thing.  I’d say Penn Jillette with BS and his radio show.
9. “Rumpology” – Jacqueline Stallone, Sylvester Stallone’s Mom
10. Possible recent water on Mars
11. “Oh Yeah?!”
12. Astronomers have discovered a giant intergalactic ball of hot gas – 100 million degrees and 3 million light years in diameter. – Episode 47
13. I agree with sheila - Any segment where the panel can ad-lib.

2006 was the year of global warming
"We're just so damn exciting." - Dr. Steven Novella, MD

Offline biocompute

• Off to a Start
End of Year Survey
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 02:18:43 PM »
1. Jay's four-sentence rant on interstellar robot-nannied babies was absolute quality both for it's rambling length and its totally orthogonal relation to anything else in the podcast. Rebecca's story of infiltrating a Boston religous group was also hilarious.
2. "I wouldn't mate with any of the true believers." - Rebecca
3. Neil Adams
4. B. Alan Wallace
5. Anyone from the Discovery Institute in Seattle. It causes me great sadness to know that these jerks live in the same city as me.
6. I really enjoyed the interview with Dr. Wallace (episode #73), as it's fascinating to find a pseudoscientist who's well-educated and who thinks that he's practicing science.
7. That stupid anti-homosexual group in Ontario who cited the Onion as a source of information. Comedy is never as funny as true life, because comedy at least has to be plausible (that's a paraphrase from someone more famous than I).
8. Michael Shermer.
9. Mrs. Stallone reading butts. The above statement about comedy applies many times over to this story.
10. Likelihood of interbreeding between early humans and neandertals.
11. Whatever Neil Adams said about being only a poet/artist and not a scientist, while simultaneously trying to explain how a poet/artist will debunk all of science because scientists are a bunch of uncreative hacks.
13. News items from around the world always crack me up, usually because of the off-color comments of the panel.

2006 was the year of truthiness, during which more and more people became annoyed with the lack of skepticism, common sense and general credibility within the mainstream media.
upport Science With Rosetta@Home!

Offline Physicsman

• Not Enough Spare Time
End of Year Survey
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 03:51:00 PM »
3.Phil Plaitt
4.Neal Adams (I could follow his rant)
5.I had Id but it wrong its pseudoscientist I dunno then...
6.each is better than the last
7.Bush Wait.. tied with that MoD guy with the aliens
8.Phil Plaitt
9.I'll go with the popular anwser and say reading butts
10.Wireless energy (okay maybe not but its still cool)http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2006/wireless.html
11."Oh yeah?"
12.impossible to say
13.E-mails defintley

Offline Gilnei

• Well Established
  • Resident Brazilian Skeptic
End of Year Survey
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 03:51:16 PM »
1. Impossible to answer, unless I had kept track since last year. My memory's a swiss cheese.

2. "Are you holding a penis?". But "bonin' for serotonin" comes as a close second.

3. Neal Adams. For all the wrong reasons :)

4. Adam Wallace.

5. Sylvia Browne.

6. (Can't choose just one)

7. Gary Schwartz. Nothing's worse than someone who gives scientific credibility to unscientific claims.

8. Penn Jillete. If he was interviewed I'd have a nerdgasm.

9. The "puppies from a kitten" claim, since such a bunch of shit managed to get as far as the USA. As a runner up, The Irish Perpetual Motion claim that plagued the media.

10. To me, the possibility of water on mars. This rekindled my hope of finding alien life - even if unicellular life - sooner than expected.

11."But aren't you a skeptic? You should be skeptical about <insert>"

12. Oxford physicists propose resurrecting the ether to explain current mysteries about the structure of the cosmos

13. The news. It's the segment where the rogues have the most freedom to slip into hilarious, memorable remarks.

Finally, 2006 was the year of the Dead Intelligent Designer.
Scientists are the leading cause of cancer in lab rats.

Offline geoffI

• Not Enough Spare Time
End of Year Survey
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 04:15:34 PM »
2. Anything said by Rebecca
3. Phil Plaitt
4.Neil Adams
5. Kevin Trudeau
6.#60 (but really all of them)
7. Exxon Mobile
8. Richard Dawkins
9. Anything by Neil Adams
10. Water on Mars
12.That really large object (Nebulas) several light years across

Year of the Skeptic!  Or Year of the Podcast.  (I tend to go for the obvious)

Offline Larry Coon

• Not Enough Spare Time
End of Year Survey
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 04:24:28 PM »
1. I know the question asked for one by each panelist, but I'm going to answer differently.  I'm consistently impressed by Steven's ability to explain the logical, rational, skeptical and scientific reasoning behind topics so clearly and eloquently.
2. So many come to mind.  "Oh yeah?" is a favorite.  Rebecca also has a talent for this.  In addition to those already mentioned, there's her statement on the implications of homeopathy on the Atlantic Ocean (was that one in an '06 episode?)
3. Plait, Shermer, Nickell, Scott, Trent.
4. Do you have to ask?  Adams by a mile.  First time I ever yelled at my iPod.
5. As annoying as Sylvia Brown is, the gullible need to come to her.  People like Behe, Hovind & Gish cause collateral damage to our kids.
6. I think the interview episodes tend to be the standouts (not that I'm denigrating listening to you talk amongst yourselves).  With that in mind, I'll name 46 -- Phil Plait interview, plus Rebecca's story on infiltrating Christian Science and living to tell about it.
7. George W. Bush.
8. The judge in the Dover case.
9. The Earth is growing/matter is being created inside the Earth/planets orbit on electromagnetic lines/etc.  Adams.
10. I'll have to think about that one.  There were a couple of Science or Fiction items where I was sure one was a blatant fiction, and even after Steven said it was science I still didn't believe it.
11. "Do you love your wife?  Prove it."  Jan Helen McGee.
12. Ooo -- same as for #10.
13. I thought the one with the bacon bet was great.

2006 was the year we lost a planet, but gained a dwarf.

Offline Luna

• Seasoned Contributor
End of Year Survey
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 05:42:46 PM »
1.Favorite remark made on the show by each panelist: Rebecca" I have a penis in my hand".
2.Best snarky comment: Not sure
3.Most entertaining guest:Bill Nye, Phil Plait,Zachary Moore ,Steve mirsky.Joe Nickell
4.Worst interviewee: Neal Adam
5.Most annoying/hated psudoscientist mentioned on the show.: Growing earth theory
6.Best SGU episode: ALl where great.
7. Gullible jerk of the year (the person who did the most to confuse the public about science and promote pseudoscience or paranormal beliefs Neal Adams
8.Cool skeptic of the year (person who did the most to promote scientific skepticism, excluding the rogues, of course). Mr Steven Novellla.
9.Most outrageous illogical statement or pseudoscientific claim.: Growing earth theory
10.Most unexpected scientific discovery: None
11."Dude, that's totally weak." (lamest defense of nonsense of the year): everything Neal adams said.
12.Most unbelievable but true science or fiction entry. Dolphins using tools.
13.Funniest segment on the show- The banter between Perry, Rebecca, and Jay.

Finally, suggest a name to represent 2006 for SGU - i.e. 2006 was the year of the "blank. I would suggest Skeptic Central, TurthTalk, Skeptical Nonsalance
Praise Jesus.

Offline 6for2

• Not Enough Spare Time
End of Year Survey
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 09:27:26 PM »
1.  When Perry said "Monkeys can beat up birds" as his greeting in one episode, I nearly rear-ended the car in front of me.  Priceless.

3. I enjoyed Eugenie Scott's interview.

5. Gish irritates the hell out of me.

8. Dawkins

9. The expanding earth

Offline rebecca

• Seasoned Contributor
    • http://www.skepchick.org
End of Year Survey
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 06:14:39 PM »
These are fantastic guys, keep them coming!
Skepchick <- Now with updated URL for 2012!

Offline slashnull

• Off to a Start
End of Year Survey
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 07:17:26 AM »
7. Montell. I used to really like him, but his support of Sylvia Browne is sickening.

Oh yeah, and the time someone had to point out that Steve wasn't Rebecca's dad had me laughing :)

Offline JD

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: End of Year Survey
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 10:30:53 AM »
One bad memory coming up!

1. I suck at remember lines
3. Definitely Phil Plait.
4. That police psychic lady, can't recall her name.
5. Sylvia Brown, naturally
6. Probably any episode where Perry and Rebecca are duking it out over...pretty much anything.
7. Whoever on the Scifi channel is okaying dreck like Ghost Hunters.
8. Gotta go with Dawkins.  I suppose he's no "official" skeptic, and he has only been going after one branch of pseudoscience, but damn if he hasn't be heard by many.
9. Anything quantum consciousness related!
10. Hummus is the most incredible source of awful gas in a human.  What?
11. "I don't know how it works, it just does!"
12. Well if they weren't ALL unbelievable, Steve wouldn't be doing his job, now would he?:P
13. I think the news section probably brings the most funny, since like Sheila said, it allows the most ad libbing and discussion.

2006 - The year of Truthiness(that's right biocompute, I took it!)
roblem with the forum?  email me: leykial *at* yahoo *dot* com
Turn on, tune in, drop out, and shut the hell up, hippie.
"I'm a pretty good researcher ." - Neal Adams

personate-rain