Author Topic: NeuroLogica Blog  (Read 9435 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
NeuroLogica Blog
« on: December 28, 2006, 12:09:21 PM »
All - I have started a new blog. It will officially start on Jan. 1 2007, but I have started posting while we tweak the blog site.

You can access it here:http://www.theness.com/neurologicablog/

We are giving our forum members an early heads up before the official unvailing. Please give me any feedback as it is still in the formative stage.

Incidentally - this is not the site for which I have been soliciting name ideas. That is still another site we are planning - an online magazine dedicated to the public understanding of science from a skeptical perspective.
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline Timothy Clemans

• Seasoned Contributor
NeuroLogica Blog
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 12:16:21 PM »
Someone needs to go in and fix the css so that things do not overlap and are in the right spot. I would think that google ads, which I see in the code could be fixed to say the top right.

googleads {position: fixed; top: 0 px; right: 0 px;}

The link on the blog "About the author" to http://www.theness.com/stevennovella is broken.
url=http://www.theskepticsguide.org][/url]

Offline moneyman1490

• Seasoned Contributor
Nice!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 12:20:41 PM »
Dr. Novella,

I really like the format of  the neuroscience part of the blog; you've mangaged to keep the explanations of neurological issues so that even the layman can understand the concepts presented.  As someone hoping to go into this field of research (I'm 16 right now) I really appreciate your efforts to make science understandable to all.  As a sidenote, (doesn't really have anything to do w/ the thread) what colleges would you reccomend for someone hoping to major in neuroscience, and are their any tips you would reccomend to get into college?  I'm going to have to start applying next year, and I'd like to have my college apps ready.  

thanks again,

mark
kidoo, in response to CapeRoadie's threat of Libel
Quote from: "skidoo"
Your documented evasiveness and dishonesty leads me to no other conclusion: You're a dangerous quack. How's that for a retraction?

Put up or shut up!!!

Offline Ariel

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: Nice!
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 01:39:40 PM »
Quote from: "moneyman1490"
Dr. Novella,

I really like the format of  the neuroscience part of the blog; you've mangaged to keep the explanations of neurological issues so that even the layman can understand the concepts presented.  As someone hoping to go into this field of research (I'm 16 right now) I really appreciate your efforts to make science understandable to all.  As a sidenote, (doesn't really have anything to do w/ the thread) what colleges would you reccomend for someone hoping to major in neuroscience, and are their any tips you would reccomend to get into college?  I'm going to have to start applying next year, and I'd like to have my college apps ready.  

thanks again,

mark

Wow, you are quite the go-getter! When I was your age, I'm not entirely sure I had yet "discovered" my hands.  :lol:

One piece of advice that I do have for you (even though I am not a neuroscientist) is to go "shadow" someone in your chosen field for a couple of weeks (not just for one day b/c damn near anything can seem cool for one day). I knew a lot of people who really enjoyed studying their chosen subjects in college, but realized when they started actually working in the field that they really hated the day-to-day work of their jobs. I knew a lot of would-be doctors who loved science & math, but didn't really enjoy a lot of the stuff that goes along with being a doctor (the same goes for engineers, lawyers, &c). So, before you decide on a profession, make sure you want to do the things that someone in that profession spends the majority of their workday doing.

Just some friendly advice from my life experience!
quot;And then, there are fossils. Whenever anyone tries to tell me that they believe it took place in 7 days, I reach for a fossil, and go: fossil. And if they keep talking, I throw it just over their head." - Lewis Black

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
NeuroLogica Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 02:42:23 PM »
I think it's a great idea.  But I do agree with Timothy that some of the layout has to be fixed.
"We're just so damn exciting." - Dr. Steven Novella, MD

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
NeuroLogica Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 03:32:12 PM »
Thanks - we are aware of the layout issues. The site is still in "beta." Jay is talking with the blog host to work out these issues.
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline Dirty J. Martini

• Well Established
  • I'm Pro-Accordian and I Vote!
NeuroLogica Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 03:40:25 PM »
I highly recommend looking at it in the Safari web browser on a Mac. Right now, it looks pretty odd for the majority of Mac users. The tabs with "Home" and "Search" written on them are cut off and don't look like tabs until you roll over them. (And that's bad user interface design - they should have some clue that the user can interact with them. Otherwise they look just like regular text.) I'm guessing that Linux users might have the same troubles as Safari inherits a lot from the KDE browser, I believe. I'm not sure of your intended audience, but I'd bet science oriented folks have a significantly higher proportion of Mac and Unix users than a typical web site sees, so it's probably worth investing a little time to make it look right for them, too.

Offline jason

• Frequent Poster
NeuroLogica Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 04:01:24 PM »
Quote from: "dcardani"
'm not sure of your intended audience, but I'd bet science oriented folks have a significantly higher proportion of Mac and Unix users than a typical web site sees, so it's probably worth investing a little time to make it look right for them, too.

Maybe true at one time, but these days most are (sad to say) running Windows. Macs are making inroads, but it seems more among the journalistic/creative crowd. Linux on the desktop remains... disappointing. Only the most die-hard open source proponents would bother, I suspect. Don't get me wrong, I love Unix-based OSs (I even write code using a Win32 port of the vi text editor), but run WinXP on my desktop.

All that means that most people only check their sties against IE and Firefox, and that's usually sufficient. Sad but true!
quot;Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick
"Scientific skepticism: the buck stops at reality."

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
NeuroLogica Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 04:38:52 PM »
Plus that's probably something they can check on their site stats for the NESS and the SGU sites.

Offline Ciro

• Not Enough Spare Time
Re: Nice!
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 04:53:41 PM »
Quote from: "moneyman1490"
Dr. Novella,

thanks again,

mark

I'm a sophomore neuroscience major at the University of Pittsburgh, and would certainly recommend this school. It's a great school with tons of resources, and the research opportunities are great. I just finished my first semester at Pitt (I transferred from a small school), and since August I have been a student researcher at the Pittsburgh Institute For Neurodegenerative Disease, where we use fruit flies (Drosophila melanogaster) as a model organism to study neurodegenerative disease. I've only been here about 4 months and they already put me on my own project. There are PLENTY of labs to work at here, and it's easy to get a job in one. If you show them how serious you are about wanting to get into that field, they'll treat you like a colleague instead of a student, and you'll get to work on your own projects.

For an undergrad degree, it really doesn't matter much where you go to school. Pitt is good, U Penn is supposed to be great (if you can manage to get in), and I hear Washington State U is one of the best for neuroscience (if you want to go all the way out there in the middle of nowhere). Since it's just your bachelors you'd be working on, it's pretty much the same stuff you're learning and probably the same quality education no matter where you go. So my two pieces of advice for you would be to go somewhere in-state/cheap, and to go somewhere that will offer you good research opportunities.
 have found that the more educated I get, the less I want to do with you smarmy assholes and your obsession with pushing your ideals on other people and and killing their buzz because you think you're helping them.

Offline Timothy Clemans

• Seasoned Contributor
NeuroLogica Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 10:52:08 PM »
Quote from: "Steven Novella"
Thanks - we are aware of the layout issues. The site is still in "beta." Jay is talking with the blog host to work out these issues.

Someone else hosts your blog? What the heck. Doesn't a system like this have a template that every page calls, so you just need to edit it to fix the Google ads to the top right.

Offline Timothy Clemans

• Seasoned Contributor
NeuroLogica Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 10:54:20 PM »
Quote from: "dcardani"
I highly recommend looking at it in the Safari web browser on a Mac. Right now, it looks pretty odd for the majority of Mac users. The tabs with "Home" and "Search" written on them are cut off and don't look like tabs until you roll over them. (And that's bad user interface design - they should have some clue that the user can interact with them. Otherwise they look just like regular text.) I'm guessing that Linux users might have the same troubles as Safari inherits a lot from the KDE browser, I believe. I'm not sure of your intended audience, but I'd bet science oriented folks have a significantly higher proportion of Mac and Unix users than a typical web site sees, so it's probably worth investing a little time to make it look right for them, too.

Just to note that would I used my laptop to look at it using Firefox and IE 7 it looked the same as what you described.

Offline Havermayer

• Seasoned Contributor
NeuroLogica Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 12:52:31 AM »
Looks awesome.  I'll add it to my list of science blogs that I check daily,
World Community Grid
Use your computer's idle time for cancer research.

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
NeuroLogica Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 01:11:11 AM »
Quote from: "Havermayer"
Looks awesome.  I'll add it to my list of science blogs that I check daily,

I have a similar list, and I will also add it.  So many blogs, so little time, it's great!! :)

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
Re: NeuroLogica Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2006, 09:18:55 AM »
Quote from: "Steven Novella"
All - I have started a new blog. It will officially start on Jan. 1 2007, but I have started posting while we tweak the blog site.

May I link to it from my site as of Jan 1st?