Author Topic: Recommend some good Sci-Fi books.  (Read 13202 times)

Offline Hoonser

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Watch out for that truck!
Recommend some good Sci-Fi books.
« on: April 02, 2008, 02:30:45 PM »
Here I am looing for some good sci-fi books to read. I'll try to narrow down what sort of stuff I'm interested in.

I don't like Star Trek type stuff, or Battlestar Galactica. I probably like Cyberpunk type stuff. Bleakness is okay, but it can get old, so not too much in the way of a bleak future. But at the same time I don't really like utopian futures. Also nothing to do with black holes or alternate dimensions or time travel. I'm not a big fan of lazers. I prefer stories where bullets are still widely used. Space ships are okay, just no long space ship voyages where people say things like 'Stardate' or 'I hate space so much! God almighty why did I sign up for this mission?!'. Nothing to do with people losing their sanity or having epiphanies. Robots are cool, just no conflicts between humans and robots. Okay maybe some, but no large scale wars or anything. I prefer robots to have super strength. Generally speaking they should be strong enough to easily throw a half ton truck over a two story house. No alien races with names that have apostrophes in them like Gu'tk or anything like that. No alien diseases either. No deserts. No stories where children play some big role. No stories where somebody is upset about being a clone or some sort of artificial life form. No stories that were made into movies. No stories where the author tried to guess what technology would be like in the future and they were clearly wrong based on technological developments of today. If the main character befriends an alien they shouldn't be all baffled by humans. None of this 'we Jejoopians don't understand your concept of Tuesday' crap. Super computers are all right, but they have to know their place. This falls under the robots category. Really computers should be subservient to humans and not give them any guff with thinking humans are inefficient or obsolete.  I'd like a story where a vehicle gets crushed at some point. No stories where money has been abolished. No stories with teleporters. If there absolutely HAVE to be teleporters they can't have any sort of malfunctions where two people get merged together, and they spend the rest of the story trying to get sorted out. I like technology to seem well used, like not clean and pristine, like you imagine you could probably fix something by yelling and hitting it with a wrench. Also nothing to do with racing ships or cars or space mobiles or anything of that nature.

So there you go. I should also pont out I've read the entire Hitchhikers Guide series so that's out of the running.

Any recommendations aside from that?
Western medicine is such a joke! Everybody knows toxins cause all illnesses! Even the genetic ones, and ESPECIALLY cancer!

Offline Kurt

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Recommend some good Sci-Fi books.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 02:32:54 PM »
Neil Stephenson The Diamond Age and Snowcrash
I eat babies
Well, hell jus froze over. I agree with Kurt here (although he is still a dick).

Offline Jonny_eh

• Well Established
  • I'm standing right behind you!
    • Ottawa Skeptics
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 02:35:09 PM »
All you did was list Star Trek cliches, I'm sure most other sci-fi would be fine.
Are you a skeptic in Ottawa, Canada?
Join here: http://www.ottawaskeptics.org/
Check out our podcast: The Reality Check (If you like the SGU, give it a try)
Follow me on twitter!

Offline Ole Eivind

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 03:01:12 PM »
Dune.

Offline Mark7300

• The Happy Bunny
  • Frequent Poster
  • Other people are the problem.
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 03:07:50 PM »
Maybe write a story yourself?
I'm a Pareidoliaologist.

Offline Kurt

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 03:13:32 PM »
Also, these are good starting lists:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebula_Award_for_Best_Novel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Award_for_Best_Novel

I've been working my way through all the winners over the past few years. I'm about half way done.
I eat babies
Well, hell jus froze over. I agree with Kurt here (although he is still a dick).

Offline Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • So it goes.
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 03:21:01 PM »
Ooo, Dune is a great one that fits all your criteria.  When I mentioned in the other thread that I hadn't read scifi besides Asimov (which I stress again is awsome), I f'd up and forgot Dune.  Awesomeness in page and letter form.

[edit]
damnit Kurt, why does your avatar have to be so cute  :evil:
[/edit]

Offline roger

• Well Established
  • Please keep my karma balanced!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 04:08:10 PM »
Quote from: "Hanes"
Ooo, Dune is a great one that fits all your criteria.  When I mentioned in the other thread that I hadn't read scifi besides Asimov (which I stress again is awsome), I f'd up and forgot Dune.  Awesomeness in page and letter form.

I thought the first half of the first book was great.  All the royal intrigue and a compelling world and all.  The second half got tiresome for me once Muab had his powers.  Then the whole jihad, mystical blather of the second book really turned me off.  

I would have loved a straight up space opera set in that world.  But oh well, to each his own.
the Euler identity, the coolest equation ever.

My 2008 booklist

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 04:11:56 PM »
Quote from: "Hanes"

Hanes, I'm rather glad that we on Dune, since we seem to disagree about just about everything else.  :D

Offline Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • So it goes.
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 04:23:42 PM »
:lol:
Well we can start all future discussion from that commonality and proceed from there.

Offline Hoonser

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Watch out for that truck!
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 04:28:23 PM »
Dune is a great one that fits all your criteria

I said no deserts!
Western medicine is such a joke! Everybody knows toxins cause all illnesses! Even the genetic ones, and ESPECIALLY cancer!

Offline Ole Eivind

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 04:34:11 PM »
Quote from: "Guimauve"
I said no deserts!

Give it a try, you have to like it.

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 04:35:49 PM »
Quote from: "Guimauve"
Dune is a great one that fits all your criteria

I said no deserts!

The desert is a metaphor.

Offline Mr Ben

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 04:56:38 PM »
John Brummer's 'The sheep look up' is a good one if your interested in a slightly different topic. It's set around the idea of our world at the extremes of pollution, when everythings really going to hell. A good book all round, although it does take a little getting into.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a sceptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality."

- George Bernard Shaw

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
Re: Recommend some good Sci-Fi books.
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 04:59:32 PM »
Quote from: "Kurt"
Neil Stephenson The Diamond Age and Snowcrash

The Diamond Age is a good fit methinks.

Never read Snowcrash, similar aesthetic?

personate-rain
personate-rain