Author Topic: Recommend some good Sci-Fi books.  (Read 13205 times)

Offline KarenX

• Too Much Spare Time
  • A Simple Girl with an Evil Plan
    • More Women in Skepticism
Recommend some good Sci-Fi books.
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 05:03:26 PM »
The desert may be a metaphor but it's still hot and dry.

I agree completely with roger's assessment of Dune. I liked it a lot in high school. Read it this year. Not great. The writing style is annoying, too.

Online Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • So it goes.
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 05:30:06 PM »
No deserts.
Gah!  I missed that little bit.

But if you don't read the book, then you won't chuckle when someone brings up organ donations and I say, "The flesh may be yours, but the fluids belong to the tribe."  Ok, maybe you won't chuckle anyways, but it amuses me and sometimes that's enough.  :P

Offline Hoonser

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Watch out for that truck!
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 05:57:52 PM »
But if you don't read the book, then you won't chuckle

You make a good point.

I've heard good things about Neil Stephenson so I reckon I'll pick up one of his books.

Thanks for the suggestions ye all.
Western medicine is such a joke! Everybody knows toxins cause all illnesses! Even the genetic ones, and ESPECIALLY cancer!

Offline Nomen Nescio

• Weasels ripped my flesh!
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 07:30:11 PM »
Quote from: "Guimauve"
But if you don't read the book, then you won't chuckle

You make a good point.

I've heard good things about Neil Stephenson so I reckon I'll pick up one of his books.

Thanks for the suggestions ye all.

BEWARE
If you like solid, complete endings where all or most subplots (or, fuck, even the main plot) are resolved, Stephenson is not for you although he's still enjoyable, in my opinion.

Personally, I'd recommend Hyperion by Dan Simmons.
"Why should things be easy to understand?"
-Thomas Pynchon

Offline kikyo

• Groovy Groovy Kitty
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Chu! ^_^
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 08:56:43 PM »
MOVED FROM OTHER THREAD:

Quote from: "Kikyo"
I like Michael Marshall Smith, whose books are kind of like futuristic noir. I also like William Gibson, which is again kind of noir.

I'm not much for the space stuff but I do like some stories set in the future, especially if they are kind of Bladerunner-esque.

Some space opera sci-fi that I like is Iain M. Banks. I guess I just like his writing style or something, although I've only read one or two of his books.

I also like China Mieville's books, which are a combo of sci-fi/fantasy/steampunk, but is a gigantic pinko and that politics is really inherent in the books, so if you don't like that then you wouldn't like them.
<LeetheAgent> Kikyo is awesome!

Quote from: Black_Magic
Sure... but Pokemon was FREAKIN' AWESOME, while your anime is gay :D

Offline Hoonser

• Watch out for that truck!
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 08:59:55 PM »
Personally, I'd recommend Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Is that guy made out of combs? And what's with the boat sailing across what appears to be a field of wheat? And Fantastical giant mushrooms in the background. It certainly has all the elements of a great yarn to be sure.

'Yea the man of Comb has come to the ship what sails upon wheat, separating the chaff from whatever chaff is attached to. My space buggy be broke. May I  use your phone?'
Western medicine is such a joke! Everybody knows toxins cause all illnesses! Even the genetic ones, and ESPECIALLY cancer!

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 09:01:52 PM »
I loved every book in the Ender Series. I thought the original Ender offshoots were better than the Bean ones, but I loved them all.

I also really liked Card's Homecoming Series, and I thought the concepts in The Worthing Saga were also really cool.

I don't care if he's a homophobic mormon, the guy can write science fiction!

Offline Nomen Nescio

• Weasels ripped my flesh!
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 09:17:48 PM »
Quote from: "Guimauve"
Personally, I'd recommend Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Is that guy made out of combs? And what's with the boat sailing across what appears to be a field of wheat? And Fantastical giant mushrooms in the background. It certainly has all the elements of a great yarn to be sure.

'Yea the man of Comb has come to the ship what sails upon wheat, separating the chaff from whatever chaff is attached to. My space buggy be broke. May I  use your phone?'

Yes, that's the plot to a tee. Truly that Hugo Award was well earned.
"Why should things be easy to understand?"
-Thomas Pynchon

Offline 2112

• Well Established
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 10:38:37 PM »
Quote from: "Neutral Milk"
I loved every book in the Ender Series. I thought the original Ender offshoots were better than the Bean ones, but I loved them all.

I also really liked Card's Homecoming Series, and I thought the concepts in The Worthing Saga were also really cool.

Even Xenocide! Ugh, that book was awful. Way too long and just stupid to boot.
Science probes, it does not prove.
-Gregory Bateson

My Blog

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 10:44:17 PM »
I'm not ashamed to admit that I loved Xenocide. It felt like more of a filler between story lines, but I couldn't get enough of Ender.

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The universe seems ...merely indifferent.
    • Schlock Treatment
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2008, 11:42:33 PM »
Maybe it would help if you told us what you've already read.

Must reads include Ender's Game, Neuromancer, Dune (yeah, the desert figures prominently), and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Though, as a SF fan, you've probably already read that stuff. I liked Asimov's Robot series (except 'I, Robot' which I never read), but then you don't want to read anything where a semi-human struggles with humanity.

Offline sketchy

• Frequent Poster
  • just sketchy
    • Sketchy's Kitchen
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2008, 10:07:56 AM »

agreed on all parts!

The pastwatch series is also good.  Most Card fans haven't read those.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2008, 01:08:51 PM »

Agreed.  I especially like Speaker for the Dead.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline chionactis

• moonlit leaves rustling, empty parking lot, tiny astronaut above the mountainside
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2008, 10:29:35 PM »

Ender's Game is fantastic, and Speaker for the Dead is quite good, but I didn't really care for Children of the Mind. I especially didn't like the teleportation stuff. What he describes is fun to think about, but I thought it was terrible in the context of that story. Near the middle of the book, I really started to feel like he must have been desperately trying to meet a deadline.
"Sometimes I think it's all one big affectation. The forty jars, each holding its thief, draw closer to me, trying to eavesdrop." John Ashbery

"And beware the casual assumption of moral superiority, or that everyone who disagrees with you is evil. That is the path to fanaticism." Dr. Steven Novella

Offline chionactis

• moonlit leaves rustling, empty parking lot, tiny astronaut above the mountainside
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2008, 10:47:15 PM »
guimauve, you might like Ship of Fools by Richard Paul Russo, or his Carlucci trilogy. I remember that a kid has a fairly large role in those Carlucci books, but it's not cheesy. The Carlucci books also definitely have a cyber punk atmosphere.

You also might like Marrow by Robert Reed. There is gratuitous sex with an alien at one point, and I wasn't all that crazy about his writing style, but it was a very interesting book.

I have become a really big fan of Jack McDevitt. He uses "faster than light" travel, but I would describe him as a "hard" sci-fi writer. Like Clarke, he likes to write about technology and physics, but he is also very good at character development. He's big on mysterious, ancient alien artifacts and ships.

Quote from: "Mr Ben"
John Brummer's 'The sheep look up'

You mean John Brunner.

I haven't read that one, but I like Catch a Falling Star. I also want to read Stand on Zanzibar at some point.
"Sometimes I think it's all one big affectation. The forty jars, each holding its thief, draw closer to me, trying to eavesdrop." John Ashbery

"And beware the casual assumption of moral superiority, or that everyone who disagrees with you is evil. That is the path to fanaticism." Dr. Steven Novella

personate-rain