Author Topic: Recommend some good Sci-Fi books.  (Read 13223 times)

Offline Alien Love Gardener

• Off to a Start
    • Doktor Kisses is not a real Doctor, but it's still ok to let him touch your penis.
Re: Recommend some good Sci-Fi books.
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2008, 03:39:48 PM »
Robert Heinlein's The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress is fantastic.
People keep saying that. But then, people also said that about Starship Troopers, which mostly filled me with hate. How do the two compare?
"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one’s time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." -H.L. Mencken

Offline spiney

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2008, 04:23:50 PM »
Is Dune the only Frank Herbert novel that gets read? looks like it!

I'd also recomment The Santaroga Barrier, where a Californian town has a weird group mind, created by a psychoactive drug (a fungus that lives in cheese!). Main characters have names of existentialist concepts or philosophers. Very strange indeed, but reads like a straightforward thriller.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Santaroga_Barrier

Also Destination Void, where a spaceship crew have to build an artifcial consciousness to survive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destination:_Void

(successor novel The Jesus Incident is badly written crap).

Dragon in the Sea (in my opinion his best novel) written 1959, undersea hi tech war, better than Tom Clancy. USA is running out of oil, and steals it from Russia in secret subs!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_in_the_sea
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 04:25:36 PM by spiney »

Offline The Dude

• Off to a Start
  • Nice Marmot.
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2008, 05:34:49 PM »
People keep saying that. But then, people also said that about Starship Troopers, which mostly filled me with hate. How do the two compare?

I read Starship Troopers, and I remember enjoying it just fine, but I really don't remember any details about it at all, so I can't really compare them for you. I have read Stranger In A Strange Land twice and loved it both times, but I think The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress is my favorite of his. Heinlein is great at creating conditions that challenge our social norms, and The Moon is a perfect example of that. It's not nearly as daunting a read some of his other work, and it's mostly plot driven, so it's pretty easy to get through. The small circle of people I've talked to in person about this book all liked it quite a bit, even two specifically who don't like Heinlein's other stuff, so it's a relatively safe use of your time.

It is written largely in the abbreviated english they use on the moon, but I never found it annoying at all, and after the first ten pages or so I pretty much forgot they weren't speaking normally.
That's like, your opinion, man.

Offline spiney

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2008, 08:19:40 PM »
The Puppet Masters. Giant slugs take over the world (sounds like my garden).

As with all Heinlein, it's an extremely subtle allegory, with lots of hidden meanings not obvious on 1st read (nah, only joking, but is a good read).

Who Goes Here, Bob Shaw. Comedy stuff, more knockabout than Doug Adams. I particularly like the spaceship, which has a matter transmitter either end, and moves by continually retransmitting itself from one end to the other!

Offline carrotflowers

• Frequent Poster
  • skepti-feboist
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2008, 11:17:56 AM »

Not really, look at the Dune thread. Several of us have read all of the ones written by Frank, and a couple have read them all.
on last.fm & librarything | I loathe you

Offline Alien Love Gardener

• Off to a Start
    • Doktor Kisses is not a real Doctor, but it's still ok to let him touch your penis.
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2008, 11:45:41 AM »

I read Starship Troopers, and I remember enjoying it just fine, but I really don't remember any details about it at all, so I can't really compare them for you. I have read Stranger In A Strange Land twice and loved it both times, but I think The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress is my favorite of his. Heinlein is great at creating conditions that challenge our social norms, and The Moon is a perfect example of that. It's not nearly as daunting a read some of his other work, and it's mostly plot driven, so it's pretty easy to get through. The small circle of people I've talked to in person about this book all liked it quite a bit, even two specifically who don't like Heinlein's other stuff, so it's a relatively safe use of your time.

It is written largely in the abbreviated english they use on the moon, but I never found it annoying at all, and after the first ten pages or so I pretty much forgot they weren't speaking normally.
Well, it goes on the list then. Heinlein is one of those authors I feel I should have an informed opinion on.
"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one’s time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." -H.L. Mencken

Offline spiney

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2008, 12:26:53 PM »

Not really, look at the Dune thread. Several of us have read all of the ones written by Frank, and a couple have read them all.

Sorry! Assumed Dune thread was about Dune, was that dumb?

No it wasn't! I've just read the Dune thread, no Herbert mentioned except the Dune serious. Which is what I said!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 12:29:29 PM by spiney »

Offline zandolit

• Off to a Start
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2008, 02:18:07 AM »
I second/third/fourth the Iain M. Banks recommendations.  There are also fantastical/science-fictional elements in some of his evil twin's non-science fiction output, like Walking on Glass.  I just recently discovered Charles Stross and he's fantastic.

If you don't mind your science fiction sprinkled with extreme feminism and deus ex machina, I have always enjoyed Sherri S. Tepper.  She's certainly not everyone's cup of tea and I haven't liked her more recent stuff as much.  But I though Grass was fantastic.

I know you said time travel was out, but I laughed out loud to quite a bit of 'To Say Nothing of the Dog' by Connie Willis. 

Offline Kurt

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2008, 06:00:18 PM »
I second/third/fourth the Iain M. Banks recommendations.  There are also fantastical/science-fictional elements in some of his evil twin's non-science fiction output, like Walking on Glass.  I just recently discovered Charles Stross and he's fantastic.

If you don't mind your science fiction sprinkled with extreme feminism and deus ex machina, I have always enjoyed Sherri S. Tepper.  She's certainly not everyone's cup of tea and I haven't liked her more recent stuff as much.  But I though Grass was fantastic.

I know you said time travel was out, but I laughed out loud to quite a bit of 'To Say Nothing of the Dog' by Connie Willis. 

I loved To Say Nothing of the Dog as well as Doomsday Book. It always surprises me how little mention Willis gets considering she has won more Hugo's and more Nebula's than any other author.
I eat babies
Well, hell jus froze over. I agree with Kurt here (although he is still a dick).

Online Jim S

• I demand that you shoot me now!
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2008, 07:07:42 PM »

No it wasn't! I've just read the Dune thread, no Herbert mentioned except the Dune serious. Which is what I said!
No, you asked if Dune was the only Frank Herbert novel that gets read  As carrotflowers said 5 others get read a fair amount.  But it does appear that non-Dune series novels are not nearly as popular here.   
A bit of dumb, On a flea, On the wing, On the fly, On the frog, On the bump, On the log, In the hole, In the middle of the sea of awesome.

Offline nerdo

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Disinheriting the meek since 1977
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2008, 02:14:09 AM »
I couldnt take Stanger in a Strange Land.  It is one of the few books I ever had to put down halfway, which is weird since I love a lot of Heinleins other stuff.  Puppet Masters is probably my favorite Heinlein book though it is awfully short.

The Mote in God's Eye and The Gripping Hand by Larry Niven/ Jerry Pournelle are both awfully good, in my opinion

That which does not kill me, postpones the inevitable.

Offline spiney

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2008, 12:10:21 PM »
Norman Spinrad.

Can't stand his "famous" novel (Bug Jack Barron).

But, Riding the Torch (short story, existentialist answer to Fermi Paradox).

The Mind Game, somebody trying to penetrate a "scientology-like" cult (has downbeat ending).

A World Between (democracy threatened by ideology).

Offline carrotflowers

• Frequent Poster
  • skepti-feboist
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2008, 08:59:13 AM »

I only read White Plague, iirc. He didn't have too many other novels, right? The Eye I think is short stories and there is one other we own, but as thefellswooper was down on it, I read other things instead. While I enjoyed The White Plague it came nowhere near how much I liked the Dune books - particularly the last few.

No, you asked if Dune was the only Frank Herbert novel that gets read  As carrotflowers said 5 others get read a fair amount.  But it does appear that non-Dune series novels are not nearly as popular here.   

As for non-Dune, I only read The White Plague, I think it was called. It was ok, but not nearly in the same level of goodness as the Dune books, particularly the last few.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 11:03:19 AM by carrotflowers »
on last.fm & librarything | I loathe you

Offline zandolit

• Off to a Start
« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2008, 11:53:53 AM »

I loved To Say Nothing of the Dog as well as Doomsday Book. It always surprises me how little mention Willis gets considering she has won more Hugo's and more Nebula's than any other author.

The re-emergence of the post-modernism thread elsewhere reminded me of Bellwether and 'popomo pink'.  That's another of my favourites - very funny and also makes you think.

Offline namidim

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Kittens==Win
« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2008, 12:17:20 PM »
The Black Cloud by Sir Fred Hoyle is a really interesting book. The writing isn't fantastic (though it gets the job done), but the concept and science in the book (he actually includes pictures and equations) is pretty cool.

personate-rain