Author Topic: Recommend some good Sci-Fi books.  (Read 13220 times)

Offline KarenX

• Too Much Spare Time
  • A Simple Girl with an Evil Plan
    • More Women in Skepticism
Re: Recommend some good Sci-Fi books.
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2008, 12:52:09 AM »
I am trying to remember the name of a book I read several years ago. This book had a lot of hard, multidimensional science in it. The premise included some kind of gamma ray burst or other cosmic disaster that sent some people into other dimensions to escape it. It may have been some kind of virtual reality escape, but I definitely remember people adding pairs of limbs to better maneuver through four-dimensional space and I definitely remember some guy giving up the virtual reality need to eat but keeping the virtual need to urinate because he liked the sensation.

I can't tell you much else. Does this sound familiar to anyone? If I had titles I could look them up in Amazon and see if I recognized them; I'm sure I'd recognize the one I read if I saw it again. I kinda want to read it now that I've learned more about multidimensional space and see if the story was good. I was bogged down in technical details and remember very little else.

Offline Simma

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Our hiking blog.
« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2008, 09:26:57 AM »
I have to agree that any Heinlien book you pick up is a good one.  Starship Troopers was one of my favorites.  Some other good ones are Armor by John Steakley.  Also, David Weber's Honor Harrington series are pretty good.  Lots of ships blowing up, and probably the toughest (human) protagnist in sci-fi that I have read.

Stephen Baxter books are pretty good.  Definately hard sci-fi.  Coalescent takes a nice twist on human evolutionary potential.  Creepy too.

Oh, I just looked over and saw my copy of Legion of the Damned by William C. Dietz.  It doesn't have robots so much as it has cyborgs.  Basically, if people get too injured, or commit a capital crime, or are dying of a terrible disease, they have the option of becomine cyborgs to fight in a war.  I know, sounds a bit corny, but the author does a good job humanizing the cyborgs.  And I think they use bullets.

L. Ron Hubbard, say what you will about him, But Battlefield Earth is good.  The movie sucked and ended half way through the story.  His Final Blackout is good too, but it is more of a future war novel than Sci-fi.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 07:41:37 PM by SimmaDonna »
"That's because, they're a bunch of stubborn, root sucking, jackasses ...holding onto traditions, that are a thousand years old!" - Colonel Tigh

Offline ng

• Off to a Start
    • Lost Bear Labs
« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2008, 11:00:26 PM »
In response to the original question way back on page 1...

"Daemon" by Leinad Zeraus might qualify as cyberpunk.  It's actually an immediate-future technothriller, but the overall gestalt is like a cool video game.

"Blindsight" by Peter Watts started out like a horror story (I don't like horror) but turned out to contain one of the best hard sci-fi concepts I've seen in a long time.  It doesn't match many of your original criteria (it's bleak as hell, but at least the space voyage isn't very long) but if you're posting on SGU you might find it interesting anyway.

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2008, 11:12:14 PM »
I am trying to remember the name of a book I read several years ago. This book had a lot of hard, multidimensional science in it. The premise included some kind of gamma ray burst or other cosmic disaster that sent some people into other dimensions to escape it. It may have been some kind of virtual reality escape, but I definitely remember people adding pairs of limbs to better maneuver through four-dimensional space and I definitely remember some guy giving up the virtual reality need to eat but keeping the virtual need to urinate because he liked the sensation.

I can't tell you much else. Does this sound familiar to anyone? If I had titles I could look them up in Amazon and see if I recognized them; I'm sure I'd recognize the one I read if I saw it again. I kinda want to read it now that I've learned more about multidimensional space and see if the story was good. I was bogged down in technical details and remember very little else.

8[  this book sounds awesome.  i will devote my spare time to finding this.  can you give a decade (it sounds recentish, but you never know)?
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline KarenX

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2008, 12:42:04 AM »

8[  this book sounds awesome.  i will devote my spare time to finding this.  can you give a decade (it sounds recentish, but you never know)?

I know that I read it between 1997 and 2003 because I was living in my apartment then. I must have hit on the right Google search terms because I may have found it, based on reviews from this web page:

DIASPORA by Greg Egan

The Amazon page doesn't really sound familiar but the way the guy writes about it does. I have no recollections of the pure consciousness births and gender-neutral pronouns, but I remember the six legs and the neutron star disasters.

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2008, 01:00:03 AM »

I know that I read it between 1997 and 2003 because I was living in my apartment then. I must have hit on the right Google search terms because I may have found it, based on reviews from this web page:

DIASPORA by Greg Egan

The Amazon page doesn't really sound familiar but the way the guy writes about it does. I have no recollections of the pure consciousness births and gender-neutral pronouns, but I remember the six legs and the neutron star disasters.

8D  sweet... that cover looks familiar, too.  i've either seen it at work or on boingboing...  thanks!

Offline carrotflowers

• Frequent Poster
  • skepti-feboist
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2008, 08:44:38 AM »
In response to the original question way back on page 1...

"Daemon" by Leinad Zeraus might qualify as cyberpunk.  It's actually an immediate-future technothriller, but the overall gestalt is like a cool video game.

"Blindsight" by Peter Watts started out like a horror story (I don't like horror) but turned out to contain one of the best hard sci-fi concepts I've seen in a long time.  It doesn't match many of your original criteria (it's bleak as hell, but at least the space voyage isn't very long) but if you're posting on SGU you might find it interesting anyway.

I enjoyed Blindsight. In case you did not know, the author put up some video related to the novel here: http://www.rifters.com/blindsight/vampires.htm  It's a video by "Fizer-Pharm" on vampires which I never got around to watching. If you have not read them, Starfish and Maelstrom by Watts are great, although I did not like the third book in that trilogy so much.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 08:20:02 PM by carrotflowers »
on last.fm & librarything | I loathe you

Offline Zeno Izen

• AWESOME POSSUM!
  • Frequent Poster
  • F'ing F!!!
    • The Final Website
« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2008, 07:57:12 PM »
DIASPORA by Greg Egan

Well, if that's not the book you're talking about, still I beg you to read it.  Egan is phenomenal and Diaspora is probably one of his best, if not his actual best.  I had to stop reading this thing with 100+ pages left because I was worn out by the sheer awesomeness.

I wish I lived in a world where Greg Egan was the famous popular one and Steven King was obscure.

Offline KarenX

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2008, 02:55:23 AM »
Diaspora was sitting on the shelf when I visited the library today. I will resist the urge to skip ahead to the peeing part to see if it's what I remember. Maybe this time the hard stuff will sink in. I also got the other Egan book on the shelf: Schild's Something.

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2008, 12:47:49 PM »
L. Ron Hubbard, say what you will about him, But Battlefield Earth is good.  The movie sucked and ended half way through the story.  His Final Blackout is good too, but it is more of a future war novel than Sci-fi.

No its not.  Seriosly the aliens call their atmospheric gases "breathgas", which uranium somehow causes to explode.  Can you guess how the hero beats the breathgas sucking monsters.  He sends 1000 year old nukes to breathgassia and the the whole planets esplodes.  Then the alien shark lawyer shows up. 

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2008, 04:17:00 AM »

No its not.  Seriosly the aliens call their atmospheric gases "breathgas", which uranium somehow causes to explode.  Can you guess how the hero beats the breathgas sucking monsters.  He sends 1000 year old nukes to breathgassia and the the whole planets esplodes.  Then the alien shark lawyer shows up. 

hey, that's how scientology works!  gee, i wonder if hubbard really did make it all up?

ok, is the alien planet really called 'breathgassia', 'cause that's lamer than i'd expect from even l ron.

Offline musteion

• Well Established
  • Lord of The Pants
« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2008, 06:32:41 AM »
It hasn't been mentioned here, and I'm not exactly sure if purists would count it as sci-fi... but I really enjoyed Jennifer Government by Max Barry.  It's pretty hilarious, and I hope the film version gets made.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Government

Offline Henry

• Off to a Start
« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2008, 02:03:54 PM »
The City and the Stars by Arthur C. Clarke.

If you're lucky your local library might have a copy.

Offline joxicle popsicle

• Off to a Start
  • I HATE THIS BUFFET
    • I make awesome things
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2008, 07:27:33 PM »
Things you don't like:
Star Trek type stuff, or Battlestar Galactica, utopian futures, black holes, alternate dimensions, time travel, lazers, long space ship voyages, people losing their sanity, epiphanies, conflicts between humans and robots, large scale wars, alien races with names that have apostrophes, alien diseases, deserts, children, people upset about being a clone or some sort of artificial life form, stories that were made into movies, clearly wrong guess technology, aliens baffled by humans, Jejoopians, pristine technology, racing ships, cars, space mobiles, abolished money, teleporters, merged people

Things you may like:
Cyberpunk type stuff, bleakness, bullets, Space ships, Robots strong enough to easily throw a half ton truck over a two story house, Super computers that know their place, well used technology, crushed vehicles
-------------------
So basically you don't like science fiction, right?

Honestly, there's nothing on your dislike list that isn't going to interfere with your like list.  I say start reading Presidential biographies and never look back.

However, if you are feeling a little peckish, Bunny Modern by David Bowman doesn't have robots, or electricity for that matter.  It won't make any logical sense, but you know, you're going to have to deal with at least one dislike to get a book out of this.

Look, kid, we're going to get through this.  We can do it.  If this book fails, then hey, maybe you can watch The Fifth Element until the end of time.  Honestly, I don't think it'd be a bad way to go.

Offline DoctorAtlantis

• What?
  • Well Established
  • Hey Kids! It's Doctor Atlantis!
    • http://www.doctoratlantis.com
« Reply #104 on: July 03, 2008, 02:50:15 PM »
I loved To Say Nothing of the Dog as well as Doomsday Book. It always surprises me how little mention Willis gets considering she has won more Hugo's and more Nebula's than any other author.

That's interesting.  There are far fewer "SciFi" stat pages for awards than I would have guessed.  Aren't we supposed to be NERDS?  Why hasn't someone put together a little app/spreadsheet that lets us sort and such???

Anyway - she's won a lot of them and is one of only 2 writers to have won Nebulas in all categories.  (Greg Bear being the other.)
http://www.locusmag.com/SFAwards/Db/TableF16.html

And she's one of only three writers to have won in all categories of the Hugos.  (Ursula K. Le Guin and Fritz Leiber being the other two.)
http://www.locusmag.com/SFAwards/Db/TableF15.html

But if you look at who's won the most awards overall (and only consider the Hugo and Nebula) she seems to be the easy winner with a total of 9 Hugos and 6 Nebulas.  Yet Ellison has more overall awards than any of the rest of the lot.  But he doesn't want to be called a sci-fi writer. ::)
http://www.locusmag.com/SFAwards/Db/TableF27.html

I've got "To Say Nothing of the Dog" in my audible queue waiting to be listened to... and the paperback in my bathroom.  I just poop too fast to get any reading done these days.  Damn high fiber diet!

personate-rain