Author Topic: Thomas Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow (1973)  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Nomen Nescio

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Weasels ripped my flesh!
Thomas Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow (1973)
« on: May 16, 2008, 11:39:20 PM »
The only reason I picked up Gravity's Rainbow for the first time was a brief reference in The Simpsons. Since then, it has become my all time favorite novel, with The Crying of Lot 49 and V. not far behind.

Pynchon touches upon innumerable themes from the determinism of Pavlovian conditioning to the frustrations and oddities of sexuality to conspiracy theories and the nature of human paranoia, all stretched over an expanse of seven hundred pages of the finest usage of the English language I have ever read. Even when Pynchon overindulges in long drawn-out passages of inconsequential minutia, he has a way of constructing a sentence that I find simply astonishing. And Pynchon uses that ability to construct some unforgettable sequences; I know Slothrop's nightmarish, drug-induced/-warped recollection of his night in a ghetto jazz bar is something that will stick with me for life.

Thoughts?
"Why should things be easy to understand?"
-Thomas Pynchon

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The universe seems ...merely indifferent.
    • Schlock Treatment
Re: Thomas Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow (1973)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 12:53:48 AM »
Never read it, but it does get a brief reference in an MST3k skit. They make cereal boxes with novels on the back, for people who like to read the backs of cereal boxes, but are looking for something a bit weightier. They put Bram Stoker's Dracula on the back of a box of Count Chocula, and Gravity's Rainbow on the back of a box of Lucky Charms. "It's magically obscure," quips Tom Servo. :D

Offline Nomen Nescio

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Weasels ripped my flesh!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 12:58:30 AM »
I remember that bit. It's even funnier if you know how extraordinarily explicit some of the book's content is (not for the kiddies, in other words).
"Why should things be easy to understand?"
-Thomas Pynchon

Offline kikyo

• Groovy Groovy Kitty
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Chu! ^_^
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 03:22:33 AM »
I love the Crying of Lot 49 and V.

Gravity's Rainbow was amazing, but it took me about a year to read ... I'm not sure if I will ever have the time to read it again. It was incredibly slow going for me, there was sooo much going on.
<LeetheAgent> Kikyo is awesome!

Quote from: Black_Magic
Sure... but Pokemon was FREAKIN' AWESOME, while your anime is gay :D

personate-rain