Author Topic: Neil Gaiman - Stardust (1999)  (Read 4943 times)

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Students! The muses are silent.
    • ILS
Neil Gaiman - Stardust (1999)
« on: April 05, 2008, 06:59:04 AM »
Plot introduction
Tristran Thorn embarks on an adventure in the magical world of Faerie, where he must find a fallen star and bring the star to Victoria Forester in order to win her heart. The reader soon discovers that Tristran isn't the only one who is after the star though.

Wikipedia
Neil Gaiman
Stardust (book)
Stardust (film)

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
    • ILS
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 07:08:45 AM »
I listened to most of this book (read by the author!) during a two day cycling trip. Sadly I finished it on the morning of the first day already. Loved the book.

It's said to be for adults, and it does contain some sex and violence. However, the story is rather simplistic and could easily be read by children if they can handle the little bit of mature content.

The audiobook also contains an interview with the author, where he tells about the history of the book and about reading it among other things. That was very interesting stuff to hear, so I heartily recommend it.

Anyone who wants some light reading, or is just looking for a short fun story, will be pleased with Stardust.

Offline LovableRascal

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • http://www.lovablerascal.com
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 11:33:42 AM »
I'll have to look into it. I actually really liked the movie.

Offline KarenX

• Too Much Spare Time
  • A Simple Girl with an Evil Plan
    • More Women in Skepticism
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 01:28:35 PM »
I liked the book a lot but it was a little sparse, with all the best detail and story development at the beginning. The ending was a little episodic. It felt like I was reading a movie, if that makes any sense, but the details of the ending tied together in a satisfying way.

I liked everyone in the book a lot and I wanted to see the movie.

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
    • ILS
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 02:41:15 PM »
I just saw about thirty seconds of the movie and turned it off. Hated it. So different from the book. I'll probably have to wait a while between reading the book and watching the movie  :P

Offline LovableRascal

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • http://www.lovablerascal.com
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 07:04:20 PM »
Quote from: "Apeiron"
I just saw about thirty seconds of the movie and turned it off. Hated it. So different from the book. I'll probably have to wait a while between reading the book and watching the movie  :P

It's a good movie, dude. I dont know if the tone of the book is the same, but it's pretty entertaining.  Michelle Pfeiffer is smokin' hot for a 50 year old..   :shock:

Offline Øyvind

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 05:26:08 AM »
I haven't read stardust yet, but I love Neil Gaiman. My favorites so far have been Neverwhere and Fragile Things.
"Some people say 'How can you live without knowing?' I do not know what they mean. I always live without knowing. That is easy. How you get to know is what I want to know." -- Richard Feynman

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science." -- Agatha Heterodyne

Offline KarenX

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 12:19:03 PM »
Neverwhere was good, but I thought American Gods was excellent.

Offline kikyo

• Groovy Groovy Kitty
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Chu! ^_^
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 01:35:09 PM »
I liked Neverwhere a lot because of the setting. I watched the BBC dramatization on DVD and it was terrible, but the commentary by Gaiman was fascinating and explained a lot about why it was terrible (budget and lack of interest by BBC).

Stardust, I was actually kind of meh on. I thought it was entertaining but I felt that I was a bit too old for it. I think I would have loved it when I was younger though. And there were aspects of it that I liked. I haven't seen the movie yet -- I hear it's very good from some people and from others I hear it's very bad. One person who has told me it is good though I am inclined to trust, so I'd like to see it eventually.
<LeetheAgent> Kikyo is awesome!

Quote from: Black_Magic
Sure... but Pokemon was FREAKIN' AWESOME, while your anime is gay :D

Offline Donnikko

• Brand New
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 07:14:18 PM »
I don't know if the movie is really all that worth watching.  The book itself is decent nothing super spectacular, but the movie is just to "Hollywoodified". Of course everyone's tastes are quite different so who knows.

Offline nerdo

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Disinheriting the meek since 1977
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 02:42:31 AM »
I thought the book was good but I loved the movie, which I found odd because it is usually 95% the other way around.  You really should give the movie another try.  I thought the first fifteen minutes were kind of slow but it really picked up after that.  Watch it to see Robert DiNero dancing around if nothing else, if I had been drinking milk it would have shot out of my nose.

Stardust is the only Gaiman book that I have read besides Good Omens, which he coauthored with Terry Pratchett.  That one is quite good in my opinion.
That which does not kill me, postpones the inevitable.

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
    • ILS
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 05:29:51 AM »
Quote from: "nerdo"
Stardust is the only Gaiman book that I have read besides Good Omens, which he coauthored with Terry Pratchett.  That one is quite good in my opinion.

Same here. I plan on reading more books by both of them, but so far all I've read of Neil Gaiman is Stardust and Good Omens.

Good Omens is among my favourite books ever. I loved it so much!

Offline nerdo

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Disinheriting the meek since 1977
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 11:24:39 AM »
I've read almost all of Terry Pratchett's book.  He is one of my favorite authors by far.  I have just recently been trying out Neil Gaiman.   I picked up Anansi Boys at the used book store down the road but haven't gotten around to reading it yet ( a three year old takes up soooo much time).  Is that one any good?
That which does not kill me, postpones the inevitable.

Offline KarenX

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 12:03:49 PM »
It's a sequel to American Gods but I think it's a sequel in spirit and setting rather than a direct continuation of a story from the first book. I haven't read it. I think there's one main character in common, but not the protagonist from the first.

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
    • ILS
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 12:30:54 PM »
Quote from: "KarenX"
It's a sequel to American Gods but I think it's a sequel in spirit and setting rather than a direct continuation of a story from the first book. I haven't read it. I think there's one main character in common, but not the protagonist from the first.

That's what I understood from Wiki when downloading the audiobook. Haven't gotten around to either one yet though.

personate-rain