Author Topic: Phil Plait - Bad Astronomy (2002)  (Read 2371 times)

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Students! The muses are silent.
    • ILS
Phil Plait - Bad Astronomy (2002)
« on: April 07, 2008, 05:50:57 AM »
Subject introduction
Phil Plait, a.k.a. 'The Bad Astronomer', tackles countless popular misconceptions about astronomy and related subjects.

Wikipedia
Phil Plait
Bad Astronomy

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Students! The muses are silent.
    • ILS
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 05:54:51 AM »
I'm reading the book right now, just finished the bit about why the size of the moon seems to change so radically. I must admit there has been one thing in the book already that made me feel ashamed for believing it up to now. It's even sillier of me because I had other information that - if I had ever actually considered it - would have led me straight to the right answer. I won't tell though  :P

Anyway, so far I like the book a lot and a glance at future topics suggests that the second half of the book is going to be even better (e.g.: the Moon landing 'hoax'). The very low-level easy-going writing style is perfect for some light reading on a still scientific topic, and I hope this book will continue to reach large audiences. While it is of course occupied with astronomy, it is also a good way to get people more interested in skepticism in general.

I'm loving it so far!

Offline Sabbie

• Frequent Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 01:48:30 PM »
I have some more books planned for now, but I will read this book not long after you've finished it.

By the way, I think I will be far more ashamed with myself after reading it, so don't worry :wink:

Offline LeeTheAgent

• Kikyo's other husband.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • >:/ RAWR CRIKEY!
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 04:48:26 PM »
Its a fun book, but if you're familiar with his site, there's not much extra in it, but it's handy to keep around in case you forget some trivia. Overall, I liked it, but I wouldn't put it up there with the great skeptical books out there. But I'm really looking forward to his new book.
An environment of pervasive credulity is incompatible with a healthy democracy.
<Kikyo> I am implying that you are sexy ;)

Offline Donnikko

• Brand New
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 06:45:12 PM »
This was actually my first "skeptical" book though at the time I wasn't aware of the skepticism community.  I just bought it from the Scientific American book club because it looked like a fun read.  I freely admit that it lived up to my hopes.

Offline Sabbie

• Frequent Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 04:48:39 PM »
Okay I started reading it finally. I am sure I will learn a lot of stuff from it, but will also probably be so ashamed that I will not post any of it here :oops:

Offline cerveauxfrits

• Reef Tank Owner
  • chickened out
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 05:00:30 PM »
I liked that bit where Phil Plait asserted that it's difficult to convert from kilometers to millimeters (or some such) in one of the earlier chapters.

Astronomers these days have gotten far too used to letting computers do their arithmetic for them.  It's making them weak.

Offline door

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 05:06:18 PM »
Been enjoying his blog for years :)