Author Topic: Recommendations needed: Book on the calculus of variations  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Øyvind

• Seasoned Contributor
Recommendations needed: Book on the calculus of variations
« on: April 18, 2008, 04:27:16 PM »
Since there seems to be a lot of physicists and mathematicians here, I figured I'd ask this.

I need a book that covers the calculus of variations, university level.

Anyone know what's good? I don't mind if it covers other topics as well, but I'd like to read into the subject matter a bit more thoroughly than what is possible with my book on lagrangian mechanics.
"Some people say 'How can you live without knowing?' I do not know what they mean. I always live without knowing. That is easy. How you get to know is what I want to know." -- Richard Feynman

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science." -- Agatha Heterodyne

Offline thefellswooper

• One of the wittiest statisticians on the forum.
  • Frequent Poster
  • Statist
Re: Recommendations needed: Book on the calculus of variations
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 08:04:43 PM »
Just saw this, Øyvind, sorry about the late response.  I always think of the calculus of variations as an old-fashioned topic, and I wouldn't bother looking for something really current.  Gelfand and Fomin is a classic  Maybe a bit more thorough than readable.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 08:09:00 PM by thefellswooper »
"What I tell you three times is true."
-Lewis Carroll, The Hunting of the Snark

Offline Øyvind

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: Recommendations needed: Book on the calculus of variations
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 02:13:31 PM »
Just saw your response. Thanks, fellswooper. I'll check it out. :)
"Some people say 'How can you live without knowing?' I do not know what they mean. I always live without knowing. That is easy. How you get to know is what I want to know." -- Richard Feynman

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science." -- Agatha Heterodyne