Author Topic: Useless fact of the day  (Read 212063 times)

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Useless fact of the day
« Reply #2865 on: June 06, 2012, 03:04:06 PM »
This seems like a more likely explanation:
There are over 18,000 brands/size & line extensions of distilled spirits offered in the United States marketplace. Idaho carries nearly 2,400 of them and of that, almost 450 are vodkas. Of the 2,400 total,
  You can read the head of the Idaho Liquor Divisions response at the link below.  Given the ridiculous nature of his job, he's doing a reasonable job and sounds like he he mad a reasonable choice not to carry the that particular Vodka.  Basically says it isn't worth the price.  All of this really just highlights the absurdity of state owned liquor distributors.

The mission of the Idaho State Liquor Division is to provide control over the importation, distribution, sale, and consumption of distilled spirits; to curtail intemperate use of beverage alcohol; and to responsibly optimize the net revenues to the citizens of Idaho.
::)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoholic_beverage_control_state
The south and parts of the mountain west with a lot of Mormons, I get.  But whats with the North Eastern States?

The problem the Idaho State Liquor Division specifically listed the alleged offensiveness of the label as the reason to not offer the vodka. Not a wise move all things considered.
You're right, it was a bad move to list the label as reason when they already had ten other crappy but non-controversial reasons to not list the vodka.  Either way, its really just a wholesaler deciding not to carry a particular brand.  It just so happens that in this case its the state run monopoly that made that decision, resulting in an effective ban. 

Damn the internet, why am I arguing about a silly piece of trivia. 

Offline Halleyscomet

• But I'm feeling much better now...
  • And then, one day, at Bible Camp...
    • My Pointless Blog
« Reply #2866 on: June 06, 2012, 03:07:23 PM »
This is how gamer couples cuddle:

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #2867 on: June 06, 2012, 05:20:23 PM »
What a gentleman, he lets her have the desktop while he uses the ironing board and laptop.

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2868 on: June 06, 2012, 08:45:56 PM »
What a gentleman, he lets her have the desktop while he uses the ironing board and laptop.

I was amused.

Then I did a double take. Can you actually see anything in that image that indicates that the subjects are a man and a woman?
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a grammar troll!
« Reply #2869 on: June 06, 2012, 11:25:46 PM »
Knees.
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2870 on: June 08, 2012, 01:17:19 AM »
Gert Fröbe, who played Auric Goldfinger in the Bond film "Goldfinger," was a Nazi prior to WWII. For that reason, the film was banned for years in Israel. However, the fact that he quit the party and helped hide several Jews from the Gestapo resulted in Israel lifting the ban.

Fröbe's thick German accent resulted in his voice being dubbed in "Goldfinger," with British actor Michael Collins speaking the role.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline Daws

• Seasoned Contributor
  • "Like a clam over my hard tummy!"
« Reply #2871 on: June 10, 2012, 05:40:05 AM »
Maybe not entirely useless, two Einstein quotes I took and adapted from Christopher Hitchens' "God is Not Great" book, note they have citations :)

"The only people I fear are those who never have doubts." -Billy Joel, 1993

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2872 on: June 14, 2012, 04:57:56 PM »
The last B-52 entered service in 1962, and has been flying ever since. It would be like having the Wright Flyer still in service at the start of the Korean War.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #2873 on: June 14, 2012, 05:21:06 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoholic_beverage_control_state
The south and parts of the mountain west with a lot of Mormons, I get.  But whats with the North Eastern States?
Quakers.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #2874 on: June 14, 2012, 06:32:59 PM »
3% of the corn grown in the USA is eaten by humans.
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline Traveler

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2875 on: June 14, 2012, 08:15:01 PM »
The last major organ to be identified in humans was the parathyroid gland. It was found in 1880.
If one is going to be ignorant, then one may as well make a thorough and studied job of it.

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #2876 on: June 14, 2012, 10:17:51 PM »
So, that has gotta be directly right.  Cuz isn't most corn turned into the various proteins, sugars and starches that go into processed food?  Why is it you always post factoids that make me go, "what the f#@$, that can't be right?"

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #2877 on: June 15, 2012, 05:46:33 AM »
The last B-52 entered service in 1962, and has been flying ever since. It would be like having the Wright Flyer still in service at the start of the Korean War.

What's even crazier is that that same plane is scheduled to be in service until 2052.
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2878 on: June 15, 2012, 10:52:33 AM »
One third of US doctors are women.

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #2879 on: June 15, 2012, 11:26:03 AM »
So, that has gotta be directly right.  Cuz isn't most corn turned into the various proteins, sugars and starches that go into processed food? 

That makes up 8%. Most corn is used as livestock feed, then comes ethanol production, then exports.

Why is it you always post factoids that make me go, "what the f#@$, that can't be right?"

Those kinds of factoids are my favorites. They blow my mind, maaaaan.
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

personate-rain