Author Topic: Are MRA really a hate group?  (Read 11242 times)

Offline goodthink

• Well Established
Are MRA really a hate group?
« on: April 25, 2012, 09:49:40 PM »
Recently the MRA have been classified a hate group. Why? Because someone was offended by a reddit user named agentorange who took screen caps from a feminist forum which shows a group of women acting very, very poorly.

Rebecca was quick to denounce reddit over some comments made on the atheists boards, took her swipes at the MR sub-reddit, but I see she is quiet about agentorange and isn't running to defend the women who said baby boys should be starved to death.

Am I alone on this? As skeptics I have to wonder why people still get behind statistics that have been debunked (DV against women, equal pay come to mind) and continue to refuse to accept males can be powerless and victims.

In one breath I have seen people decry slut shaming and then turn around and shame men who are victims. I just don't get it. Can't get my mind around it.

I know I am hating women just asking the question.

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
Re: Are MRA really a hate group?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 10:00:32 PM »
Marketing Research Association?
Mountain Rescue Association?
Marina Recreation Association?
Magnetic Resonance Angiogram?
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline goodthink

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 10:03:09 PM »
Men's Right's Activists. The Southern Poverty Law Center has classified the Men's Rights Movement as a hate group.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 10:15:14 PM »
There are legitimate discriminations against the male gender, and unfortunately, people don't take them seriously.

I really don't know why.

I mean im not saying that they are all ignored, even women's rights groups fight for male rights under the guise of "human rights" and its dam decent of them to do so, but a large part of the general population simply believe that males face no discrimination and that females are the only ones discriminated against.

I don't know if people think its the "patriarchy" being greedy while "already being in power", or an attempt to combat/oppose feminism(admittedly, some sects of the MRA movement are vocally against feminists, but I don't think they represent the majority). I just feel there are a lot of misconceptions and assumptions made in the process of people judging the men's rights movements.

Its a giant stepping-on-glass politically correct conversation to have, and I need to learn a lot more than I do now before I can give a real and balanced judgement about this issue, and I hope this thread and the more knowledgeable people within it will help give me this incite.

All I know now is, there is gender specific discrimination in both genders, and both sides have incidences of those discriminations not being taken seriously/ignored/suppressed. And as of now I believe that discriminations against men have a bigger problem with the discriminations against them not being taken seriously/ignored/suppressed than the women's rights movement.

Offline Neon Genesis

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 10:50:26 PM »
Isn't having a mens' rights movement like having a whites' rights movement?

Offline goodthink

• Well Established
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 10:52:41 PM »

No, it's more akin to wanting social justice.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 10:54:07 PM »

No, it is about social justice and equality, not about suppressing females (as your comparison suggests)

Edit: ^^^^ Dam you are quick, and a wizard

Offline goodthink

• Well Established
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 10:55:57 PM »

I think you just demonstrated the kind of obstruction men face in addressing issues that affect them.

Offline goodthink

• Well Established
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 10:56:30 PM »

No, it is about social justice and equality, not about suppressing females (as your comparison suggests)

Edit: ^^^^ Dam you are quick, and a wizard

I had free time between jumps in EVE, lol

Offline khendar

• Well Established
    • TimParkinson.net
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 11:01:07 PM »
Men's Right's Activists. The Southern Poverty Law Center has classified the Men's Rights Movement as a hate group.

Really ? I took a look at the articles on the SPLC website and all it is doing is pointing out the false information being spread by some MRAs and describing their activities. Nowhere on the site have any of these organisations been "classified" as hate groups, though they have been described as "women-hating", something which is painfully obvious just by reading the MRA groups rants.

I'm sure not all MRAs are hate groups, and they have some legitimate concerns, but when a group is describing "conspiracies" and "agendas" it's pretty safe to assume that they're full of crap.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 11:17:44 PM »

Really ? I took a look at the articles on the SPLC website and all it is doing is pointing out the false information being spread by some MRAs and describing their activities. Nowhere on the site have any of these organisations been "classified" as hate groups, though they have been described as "women-hating", something which is painfully obvious just by reading the MRA groups rants.

I'm sure not all MRAs are hate groups, and they have some legitimate concerns, but when a group is describing "conspiracies" and "agendas" it's pretty safe to assume that they're full of crap.

Yea, like I said, some people in the MRA movement legitimately do not like women, and believe in an overlying feminist conspiracy. Im not advocating those people, just the MRA members who truly see and observe male discrimination and want to solve it.

Ive listen to podcasts and read media releases from some MRA "representatives" and they were neck deep into agendas and hidden conspiracies and the like. And of course, the MRA members who think that is a bad representation call these members out on it for misrepresenting the movement and making it look bad, and the MRA members in question usually reply with the usual conspiracy theory redoric  of "open your eyes man, are you a fool?"

Both sects of the MRA movement are trying to disassociate and separate themselves from the other, and it makes the movement lose pretty much all its legitimacy despite it having the best intentions (Equal adoption rights for fathers, education on false rape/sexual assault allegation prevention, removing the social stigma of male genital abuse being funny and so on blah blah blah).

Offline goodthink

• Well Established
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 11:24:55 PM »
How is the rhetoric and conspiratorial thinking in the MRM any different than the stuff put out by some women in the WRM?

Marriage is rape? Men can't be raped, rape is about power, only men have power? Men aren't needed anymore? The Patriarchy keeps women down (akin to all jews run X).

The way I see it, you're either interested in social justice, or you're interested in gaining your group/tribe more rights/freedoms/privelages than others. I am not sure we need feminism/WRM or MRM. I think we should be all for human rights and look at the merits of each issue. But then I am decried as a rape apologist, a mysoginst etc for not immediately accepting the axiomatic position women are the victims.

The entire issue with the SPLC is that they classified/charged/targeted the MRM only after agentorange did a screen capture dump of some feminist blog/forum.

Offline khendar

• Well Established
    • TimParkinson.net
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 11:31:21 PM »
The entire issue with the SPLC is that they classified/charged/targeted the MRM only after agentorange did a screen capture dump of some feminist blog/forum.

I think it was more the suicide of a MRA group leader that brought it to the SPLC's attention:
http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-report/browse-all-issues/2012/spring/a-war-on-women

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 11:31:36 PM »
How is the rhetoric and conspiratorial thinking in the MRM any different than the stuff put out by some women in the WRM?

It isnt really, yet it seems that nobody wants to be seen defying or being opposed to any type of women's rights related movement, simply because they fear being portrayed or seen as a sexist bigot.

The fear of the same thing happening to people who defy/oppose the mens rights movement just doesn't exist. It a welcome mat for people to be trivialised and suppressed if they are not taken seriously. And as of now, the MRA movement is not taken seriously by a large portion of the general populous because "There is no such thing as male discrimination"
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:48:20 PM by 341gerbig »

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 11:34:07 PM »

I think it was more the suicide of a MRA group leader that brought it to the SPLC's attention:
http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-report/browse-all-issues/2012/spring/a-war-on-women

It is time, boys, to give them a taste of war.” Calling for all-out insurrection, he offered tips on making Molotov cocktails and urged his readers to use them against courthouses and police stations. “There will be some casualties in this war,” he predicted. “Some killed, some wounded, some captured. Some of them will be theirs. Some of the casualties will be ours.”

Jesus Christ..... talk about wearing away at the MRA movements credibility.......

The whole ordeal.......

personate-rain
personate-rain