Author Topic: Episode #562  (Read 4840 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #562
« on: April 15, 2016, 11:24:33 PM »
What’s the Word: Homophily; News Items: Metal Foam, Pig Heart Transplants, Should We Hide from Aliens, Computer Artists; Who’s That Noisy; Your Questions and E-mails: Fishmato; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline GodHead

• Off to a Start
Re: Episode #562
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 03:40:11 AM »
Steve was the only one who made any sense about the Next Rembrandt issue and artist style.

Artists have no intellectual property over a style.

There is literally no legal issue with copying an artistic style precisely with machinery. An utter non-issue. The rest of the panel blew it way out of proportion.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 11:12:10 AM by GodHead »

Offline InsanePat

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • coward among the cowards
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 08:10:58 AM »
Could be a problem if someone tries to use that to make forgery.

As for ETs obliterating the human race, wantingto get rid of all those tv shows we have been broadcasting could be reason enough, wouldn't it ? :-) 

Online Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 02:11:39 PM »

Artistry is just a computer program.

I first  heard about the transplanted kidney location about a year ago from a friend who's a transplant nurse.  She's got some good stories.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Nipsome

• Brand New
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 02:26:18 PM »
Dr Novella's comment about photography and manual mode producing better pictures I believe is now a dated idea. For example, Google Gary Fong and the Sony A6300 or A6000. Also, many professional photographers shoot in Aperture priority mode leaving all other settings to automatic detect. My opinion only.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 03:01:40 PM »
I've never really been interested in what technological advancement means for weaponry and armed conflict. I don't see that we have any conflicts that are just waiting for the right weapon to be invented for them to be finally solved.

At least not major conflicts, where it's pretty much all down to politics and what humans can agree on. And whether people can tolerate that people other than themselves are allowed to be free and make decisions regarding their own lives.

We invented the ultimate weapon over 70 years ago. Then we made a little too many of them, and since then it hasn't been about more and better weapons, it has been about not pulling the trigger.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 03:09:28 PM by 2397 »

Offline dreamlander

• Off to a Start
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 03:15:40 PM »
How many of you have seen "Tim's Vermeer"? The painting topic made me think of this movie. It is a documentary produced by Penn and Teller about a man's quest to figure out how Johannes Vermeer painted photographic like paintings that were so unusual for his time period. I bring it up because it doesn't sound that interesting on the outside, but it is truly fascinating to watch. Tim Jenison is an extremely talented genius sort of person. I have watched it near a dozen times showing it to all my friends. So check it out if you get a chance.

Offline yrdbrd

• Brand New
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 04:16:50 PM »
Funny thing is, I can sing pretty good but I homophily.

(Listener since May 2005, and for this I do my f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶ second forum post?)

yrdbrd
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 04:19:46 PM by yrdbrd »

Offline wolfwing

• Brand New
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 07:20:23 PM »
what is art is a subject thats been coming up more recently, this is a computer program making art, but is someone using a paint program that is faster then anything you could do manually not art?  What about fractals and other programs where the work is done entirely by the machine, but your looking for something artsy in it?

This is something I did in about a hour.  http://wolfwings1.deviantart.com/art/The-Great-Celestial-Clock-372307981  entirely done by math I didn't make it, I tweaked a program without even understanding the underlying math till that appeared.

Is this art?  and thats a question I think we have to come up about in the future, if I can make in a hour something that most idiot savant probably couldn't do, maybe get close but that level...am I taking away from someone that can do that on their own?  Or am I making new art?

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 07:26:12 PM »
Jay. Dude. A pirate's favourite biology class is carrrrdiology. It was right there.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline scottp4

• Brand New
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2016, 07:53:47 PM »
RE:  In the style of Rembrandt. 

Photoshop filters and other programs have existed for decades that will take a photograph and render in in particular style.  While this is much more sophisticated, the idea of 3-d printing the output is the major new idea here. 

Art auction houses have had to deal with these issues for years in trying to describe what they're selling.  Every significant artist has his own work, work of students, admirers, etc.  There's a whole list of terms to describe the relationship of a painter who's imitating the style of another artist.  For example,

The first name/s and surname of the artist. In their opinion the genuine item, painted by the artist
•“Attributed to ….” In their opinion probably a work by the artist, at least in part
•“Studio of ….” or “Workshop of” In their opinion a work executed in the studio or workshop of the artist, possibly under his supervision
•“Circle of ….” In their opinion a work of the period of the artist showing his influence, closely associated with the artist but not necessarily his pupil
•“Style of ….” or “Follower of ….” In their opinion a work executed in the artist’s style but not necessarily by a pupil; may be contemporary or nearly contemporary
•“Manner of ….” In their opinion a work in the style of the artist but of a later date
•“After ….” In their opinion a copy (of any date) of a work of the artist
•“Signed…”, “Dated….” or “Inscribed” In their opinion the work has been signed/dated/inscribed by the artist. The addition of a question mark indicates an element of doubt
•"With signature ….”, “With date ….”, “With inscription….” or “Bears signature/date/inscription” in their opinion the signature/date/inscription has been added by someone other than the artist

http://www.fineart.co.uk/Buying_Art_at_Auction_Fine_Art_Trade_Guild_guidance.aspx

We may need to add a couple of new categories to allow for computer

Offline InsanePat

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • coward among the cowards
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2016, 08:41:36 PM »
I guess the computer will be equal to the man when they're able to sell its old chips and broken  hardware for millions because "it's art."

Offline blahface

• Off to a Start
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 03:10:44 AM »
So, how long until media artists are out of a job?

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 03:54:53 AM »
My impression is that artists only became a thing with the progress of technology in the first place, allowing humans the free time to make something you can't eat, or kill something with. I wouldn't fear technological progress in the area of art more than I would elsewhere. Humans will move on to something new, and/or be able to use the new tools to make something that could never have been made before.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 03:58:03 AM by 2397 »

Offline synsei

• Off to a Start
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2016, 04:08:35 AM »
My technique to find out whether a site is a satire site or a genuine crank site
is to go to their homepage and read their most trending headlines.
"- North Carolina: Woman Kicked Out Of Ladies’ Bathroom By Police After Being Mistaken For Transgender
- Scientists Successfully Recreate Tyrannosaurus Rex Embryo From Chicken Dna
- North Korea: Last American Prisoner From The Korean War To Be Released From Forced Labor Camp
- “A Woman Can Go To Heaven, As Long As She’s Accompanied By A Male Relative” Claims Saudi Imam
- Monsanto Ceo Gets Well-Deserved $600 Million Bonus For Last Year
- Fbi Perpetrated Thousands Of Cattle Mutilations In 1970S, Says Ex-Agent"
Poe's law being what it is, the difference can be subtle but it works rather good when you see the overall tone of the site.
The site's name is a good hint too.
This fake story about GM tomato has been widely reposted by conspiracy theory and alternative health sites,
showing their total absence of fact checking. Unfortunately, many people will see the fake information and go with it
and never see the revelation that it was a hoax; or even worse,
some will take the hoax as a conspiracy to discredit genuine information.
The comments in WND are painful to read, no one seems to get a shadow of a doubt about the authenticity of the gm tomato article.