Author Topic: Computer Repair and Upgrade Thread  (Read 5424 times)

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
Re: Computer Repair and Upgrade Thread
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2019, 03:02:30 PM »
As a side note, looks like Windows Defender is far better than in the past
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/windows-defender,review-2209.html

Probably true, but it still gives me so many false positives that I've completely disabled it in order to preserve my sanity.
Mooohn!

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #121 on: May 17, 2019, 03:09:42 PM »
My wife spilled a vase of water on my old MacBook.  And of course rather than coming to get me right away, she opened it up to see if it worked...and likely fried the thing. If I had been able to remove the battery, I might have been able to save it with a quick drying response.

She's the primary user of that machine, now, though. I think if it is truly dead that I will recommend she get a ChromeBook to replace it.  She primarily uses it for web browsing and E-mail anyway, so a ChromeBook will work quite well for her, I think.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #122 on: May 17, 2019, 04:36:29 PM »
As a side note, looks like Windows Defender is far better than in the past
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/windows-defender,review-2209.html

Probably true, but it still gives me so many false positives that I've completely disabled it in order to preserve my sanity.

My goodness, what are you doing to get false positives? I think I've only ever had one from some utility.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2019, 04:59:40 PM »
Well, I don't remember all of the details, but it blocked a couple of programs like Tor and DVDFab (which seems to be the only program that will allow me to rip some of the UHD discs I bought), it didn't seem to like some of the drivers I got from the ASRock website for my motherboard (or was it the CD that came with it?), and it really didn't like it when the windows activation service didn't work and I decided to use a 3rd party activator/boot loader (which I ran through 3 different online anti virus services and spybot first). That last one makes sense since it's specifically designed to function a lot like a root kit, but I got tired of repeatedly telling it to remember my choice to allow the program to run only to have it block it again two seconds later.
Mooohn!

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2019, 11:58:46 PM »
I think, werecow, that you need to accept that the things you do with your computer are not things it is intended to do, and that you cannot expect tools intended to protect the general public from themselves to work for you.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #125 on: May 18, 2019, 01:26:21 AM »
I think, werecow, that you need to accept that the things you do with your computer are not things it is intended to do, and that you cannot expect tools intended to protect the general public from themselves to work for you.

I use a community developed character generator for pathfinder - It sets off Windows Defender when I download it - Scanned with avast and others. Not that it has anything dangerous but not listed as an official program in microsoft's database. Some fan patches on some games are similar.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #126 on: May 18, 2019, 06:07:18 AM »

I'm not supposed to install drivers and a web browser?
Mooohn!

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #127 on: May 18, 2019, 01:29:59 PM »

Is that what happened here?

Well, I don't remember all of the details, but it blocked a couple of programs like Tor and DVDFab (which seems to be the only program that will allow me to rip some of the UHD discs I bought), it didn't seem to like some of the drivers I got from the ASRock website for my motherboard (or was it the CD that came with it?), and it really didn't like it when the windows activation service didn't work and I decided to use a 3rd party activator/boot loader (which I ran through 3 different online anti virus services and spybot first). That last one makes sense since it's specifically designed to function a lot like a root kit, but I got tired of repeatedly telling it to remember my choice to allow the program to run only to have it block it again two seconds later.

I mean drivers, sure. You described hacking windows activation and building your PC from parts... those are not things most users do. Even ripping discs is relatively uncommon.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #128 on: May 18, 2019, 01:49:17 PM »
I had to "hack" windows activation because it wasn't working in the first place, and the drivers and programs work fine now. It's defender that kept blocking them from running and/or installing that irks me. But I guess we're setting the bar for what constitutes a reasonable operating system that low now.
Mooohn!

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #129 on: May 18, 2019, 03:41:13 PM »

I do not think that is an accurate summary of what you said you were doing. Nor did I say that you were not “supposed” to do anything.  You can do whatever the fuck you want.  You described breaking BluRay encryption, using Tor to modify your computer's routing behavior, and bypassing Windows activation and none of them things Windows was designed to do (and in some cases they are things that your OS or hardware have been specifically designed not to do).  Nor can they really be considered typical usage.

As for your main board drivers, when you are installing software that operates at such a low level it’s usually best to disable any antivirus software.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #130 on: May 18, 2019, 05:49:59 PM »
Umm, I rip Blu Rays and having nothing like these issues - I use Make MKV and then use Handbreak to convert MKV to MP4 files.
That does not seem to be a major problem.

Not had any major problems with windows activation either. I have recently rebuilt the OS of a laptop and two tablets (both windows) and not had any issues with them. 
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #131 on: May 18, 2019, 06:34:42 PM »
Again, the problem isn't the software. That actually runs fine now that I've disabled defender (though in fairness, Tor took disabling my LAN as well because it was using the wrong ethernet connection - now that I think about it I speculate that that may have been the issue with the activation service as well). It's that it is false flagged as malware by windows defender, and that telling defender to remember to allow it to install (or, in the case of Tor or DVDfab, run) does not actually work properly. If that did work, there would be no problem.

EDIT: It's also not just me. It's common enough that it's a meme:

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 07:05:56 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #132 on: June 09, 2019, 12:05:34 PM »
Where are you downloading your drivers from?

One of those commercial hardware driver "management" services?

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #133 on: June 09, 2019, 02:05:06 PM »
The manufacturer's website. ASUS.
Mooohn!

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #134 on: June 09, 2019, 03:52:24 PM »
The manufacturer's website. ASUS.

Asus appears better than average from what I have seen in regards to support
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain
personate-rain