Author Topic: Worth the Fighting For  (Read 422 times)

Offline Roger Donnay

• Off to a Start
    • Donnay Software
Worth the Fighting For
« on: August 31, 2018, 01:01:15 PM »
John McCain was the only political candidate to whom I ever gave a contribution.

It wasn’t even a large contribution, but he had the generosity to sign his book to me personally and mail it to me.

He will be missed.

Roger Donnay
Secretary, USS James E. Kyes Assocation
Home Page: http://www.ussjek.org

http://www.ussjek.org/dd787/photos/worth_fighting_for.jpg
To find the truth follow the science, not the politics

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Worth the Fighting For
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 02:35:53 PM »
In Catch 22, Yossarian complains that people are trying to kill him. Every time he flies over their country and drops bombs on them, they try to kill him. A lot is made of how much McCain suffered as a POW, but not much is said about the fact that he was a POW because he was flying a warplane over other people's country and dropping bombs on them. When people say to soldiers "Thank you for your service" what I hear is "Thank you for dropping bombs on people I've never met, and who've never done anything to hurt me in any way."

That said, McCain was one of the very few decent people in the Republican Party. I don't know what possessed him to choose a religious bigot with an IQ of about 7 as his running mate in his last bid for the presidency. Fresh Air recently re-broadcast an interview that Terry Gross did with him some years back. I disagree with a lot of his positions, but unlike most of his party, I respect him and think he was honest.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain