Author Topic: Bad Religion  (Read 781 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Bad Religion
« on: February 19, 2019, 02:58:19 PM »
Bad Religion

For a while during my teenage years, I liked this band. Then it somehow fell off my radar. In recent months, I have re-discovered them. And they are really good! I both like the musical style and the message of opposition to dogmatic thinking and criticism of religion, as well as the band being pro-science and pro-intellectualism. They also have a lot of songs about social criticism. The band has been around since 1980 and is still active!

"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
Re: Bad Religion
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 08:44:08 PM »
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 02:06:51 PM »
They are OK, not my fav but don't dislike them. Amusing story alert, I was at a friends xmas gathering this year and we keep getting this weird error on Alexa. We would say " Alexa play hip-hop Christmas music" and she would play 1800 century chorus music. very strange, so I was like " Alexa, play heavy metal Christmas music" Oh man does bad religion have a lot of xmas songs, they must have a dedicated album because it came up a lot on alexa.

Offline JuniorSpaceman

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 08:22:24 PM »
I always thought their records were ok - fun but not that special, but I saw them live in 1997 at the worst venue in Melbourne (which has since burned to the ground), and it was one of the most inspiring, wild shows I've ever seen. According to their website, it was the first show they ever played in Australia, which might have added to the energy.

Offline BAWRFRS

• Off to a Start
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 07:10:29 PM »
Singer Greg Graffin has a PhD in history of science* and lectured at Cornell & UCLA, according to Professor Wikipedia.

The Process of Belief is an excellent album & the songs seem to be linked thematically. That may not be unusual for them, IDK.

* His Amazon page says it's in zoology
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 10:06:30 PM by BAWRFRS »
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.  - Bertrand Russell

Offline BAWRFRS

• Off to a Start
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 10:16:26 PM »
They are OK, not my fav but don't dislike them. Amusing story alert, I was at a friends xmas gathering this year and we keep getting this weird error on Alexa. We would say " Alexa play hip-hop Christmas music" and she would play 1800 century chorus music. very strange, so I was like " Alexa, play heavy metal Christmas music" Oh man does bad religion have a lot of xmas songs, they must have a dedicated album because it came up a lot on alexa.

Next year try either the Dropkick Murphys' The Season's Upon Us or ask Alexa to play the benefit CD A Santa Cause (punk rock Christmas). Good fun for people with a sense of humor.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.  - Bertrand Russell

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 01:52:35 PM »

I found this song so... true.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 03:14:31 PM »
Basically, the first (and one of the few) punk bands I got into. Mostly I only like their newer stuff: The Process of Belief, Stranger than Fiction, The Empire Strikes first, and True North are favorites. Actually, my username is a reference to one of their songs.

Offline DonA

• Farmer Don
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • I didn't hear nuthin.
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 03:50:48 PM »
I'm a big Bad Religion fan.  Have been since high school when I started listening to punk. 
Not helping the situation since 1979.

personate-rain