Author Topic: Tech Woes  (Read 5448 times)

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
Re: Tech Woes
« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2019, 09:49:47 PM »
Just a heads up, I've had some mild issues with using third party DNS where websites sometimes didn't load my location properly.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #106 on: August 06, 2019, 12:11:59 AM »
Memory problems, uggg

windows told me so but I was trying not to believe it,

MemTest86 is still running but I see it found some errors.

Anyone have any experience with this? I have 64gb and i'm hoping the test will tell me which stick/sticks are bad. 

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #107 on: August 06, 2019, 01:30:33 PM »
Memory problems, uggg

windows told me so but I was trying not to believe it,

MemTest86 is still running but I see it found some errors.

Anyone have any experience with this? I have 64gb and i'm hoping the test will tell me which stick/sticks are bad.

13 hours later and the test is still not complete.  I thought it was stuck but the percentage just jumped a point , its on the 4/4 pass on the last test at 66% complete, this last pass is 91% complete overall .WTF!
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2019, 07:12:47 PM »
I noticed something slightly creepy today. I was watching my old Veronica Mars DVDs again a few weeks ago. Today I google a totally unrelated image and Veronica pops up out of nowhere with zero relevance to my query. The google is learning me and inserting pleasing imagery into my brain to prompt my dopamine response and keep me coming back for more.
Mooohn!

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2019, 07:21:14 PM »
I noticed something slightly creepy today. I was watching my old Veronica Mars DVDs again a few weeks ago. Today I google a totally unrelated image and Veronica pops up out of nowhere with zero relevance to my query. The google is learning me and inserting pleasing imagery into my brain to prompt my dopamine response and keep me coming back for more.

Um...
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #110 on: September 06, 2019, 10:21:54 PM »
My Internet has been out for 2.5 hours, now. Affecting all of downstate NY and CT.  Calls to customer support get a “this number is not in service” announcement; apparently their phone system is down, too.  And for the first hour or so AT&T data was also out (shared backhaul? Congestion from everyone using their cellular data because their cable was out?).  The latest from Twitter is that it won’t be back until 11 p.m..
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #111 on: September 06, 2019, 10:42:21 PM »
At least I got to laugh out loud at this gem:

https://twitter.com/scottmzt/status/1170132077955731456

I can’t remember the last time I actually laughed out loud at something on the Internet.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #112 on: September 08, 2019, 09:08:13 PM »
I laughed.  Then cried.

In other news.
I am currently locked out of dropbox (I have a backup, so my files are not gone, but it's annoying), because my two factor codes are not working and for some reason backup codes are not being sent to my phone.

I tried to fix this by plugging in an old hard drive into my laptop that had a verison of windows with a dropbox app install, which I could have used to reset my 2 factor codes.

But I inserted it in wrong, and broke my SATA port.

But this laptop has a secondary miniSATA port, and I had an old miniSATA drive lying around.  So I put linux on that drive, and my computer is back up and running.  I had been strongly considering switching back to linux anyway.

But dropbox is still a no go.  Tech support responded to my request but said they need to escalate the ticket.

My next step  will be to call my cell carrier and see if there is any reason those texts are not going through.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2019, 02:00:27 PM »
Trying to whitelist a website for my students so they can access it when they should not have access to the web at large.  After much experimentation and playing with LittleSnitch, the upshot is that the site won't load unless you have essentially all of google enabled.  Almost none of the actual functionality of the site requires google; it seems to be entirely because of recaptcha.  That would be fine, except that I can't possibly whitelist it without whitelisting everything from Google Docs to YouTube. Ugh.

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2019, 02:38:52 PM »
Don't you love it when things randomly stop working? I always put my laptop to sleep when I'm done working. This worked fine for about 1.5 years, up until maybe two weeks ago or so, when, without any hardware or software change to my system (I work on a VM), my laptop refused to wake up from suspended mode no matter which buttons I press or click. My only recourse is to turn the laptop off and back on. Have had that problem ~80% of the time since.

Also, why can't my brain seem to learn to not push the sleep button now? }|xo|
Mooohn!

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2019, 02:55:52 PM »
Trying to whitelist a website for my students so they can access it when they should not have access to the web at large.  After much experimentation and playing with LittleSnitch, the upshot is that the site won't load unless you have essentially all of google enabled.  Almost none of the actual functionality of the site requires google; it seems to be entirely because of recaptcha.  That would be fine, except that I can't possibly whitelist it without whitelisting everything from Google Docs to YouTube. Ugh.

Can you temporarily have them connect to a pre configured router?

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #116 on: September 17, 2019, 03:40:21 PM »

Can you temporarily have them connect to a pre configured router?

I'm not sure what you mean?  I can create a separate SSID for them if I want to; in fact, I have. I don't need any additional hardware to do that. But nothing I do is going to let my students load repl.it without them also having access to www.google.com, whatever network they're on.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2019, 03:41:55 PM »
Don't you love it when things randomly stop working? I always put my laptop to sleep when I'm done working. This worked fine for about 1.5 years, up until maybe two weeks ago or so, when, without any hardware or software change to my system (I work on a VM), my laptop refused to wake up from suspended mode no matter which buttons I press or click. My only recourse is to turn the laptop off and back on. Have had that problem ~80% of the time since.

How about hibernation instead of standby?

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2019, 03:56:38 PM »
It's been my experience that computers needs to be shut down completely and rebooted with reasonable frequency (it might be weekly or monthly). Leaving them on via sleep or hibernation seems to eventually result in slowing of performance or worse, non performance. I don't know why but reboots seem to sort it out. Presumably resetting to a starting state sorts out whatever gets out of whack.

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #119 on: September 17, 2019, 04:00:51 PM »

How about hibernation instead of standby?

Maybe... Just not sure if I can reassign the function for this particular button (or where they hid the hibernate option in kubuntu).
Mooohn!

personate-rain
personate-rain