Author Topic: Iranian women’s rights lawyer gets 38 years, 148 lashes  (Read 1115 times)

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
Iranian women’s rights lawyer gets 38 years, 148 lashes
« on: May 08, 2019, 06:34:15 AM »
Iranian lawyer who defended women’s right to remove hijab gets 38 years, 148 lashes

WITW STAFF | 03.11.19

(FACEBOOK/@NASRINSOTOUDEHOFFICIAL)

After two trials described by Amnesty International as “grossly unfair,” Iranian human rights lawyer Nasrin Sotoudeh has been sentenced to a total of 38 years in prison and 148 lashes.

Sotoudeh, who has dedicated her life to defending Iranian women prosecuted for removing their hijabs in public, has been in the crosshairs of Iran’s theocratic government for years. In 2010, she was convicted of conspiring to harm state security and served half of a six-year sentence. Then, in June of last year, she was rearrested on an array of dubious charges. Tried in secret, details of her ordeal have often come via her husband, Reza Khandan, who wrote of her new, much harsher sentence on his Facebook page on Monday.

Sotoudeh was ultimately charged with seven crimes and given the maximum sentence for all of them. Five additional years were added from a 2016 case in which she was convicted in absentia. The total 38-year sentence was severe even by Iranian standards — a country often accused of human rights abuses, particularly involving women. Observers say it may signal a newly hardline approach to political dissent. Last week, a radical cleric linked to mass executions in the 1980s was appointed head of the Islamic Republic’s judiciary.

Critics from around the world decried the outcome of Sotoudeh’s case. Amnesty International said it was harshest sentence documented against a human rights defender in Iran in recent memory. Hadi Ghaemi, the executive director of the New York-based Center for Human Rights in Iran, told CBS News it exposed “the insecurity the regime has to any peaceful challenge.”

The same day Sotoudeh was sentenced, the UN investigator on human rights in Iran held up her case as a sign of the country’s increasingly brutal oppression of those who defend the rights of women. “Worrying patterns of intimidation, arrest, prosecution, and ill-treatment of human rights defenders, lawyers, and labor rights activists signal an increasingly severe state response,” he said.

Read more at the Guardian.

Related

In a secret trial, Iran convicts lawyer who defended women who removed their hijabs

Shots fired as crowd tries to prevent arrest by Iranian morality police of woman in ‘improper’ hijab

‘Everyone is beautiful in their own ways,’ says first hijab-wearing Miss England finalist

https://womenintheworld.com/2019/03/11/iranian-lawyer-who-defended-womens-right-to-remove-hijab-gets-38-years-148-lashes

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
Re: Iranian women’s rights lawyer gets 38 years, 148 lashes
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 01:41:47 AM »
Odd that this story hasn't garnered any attention whatsoever, especially from those members who purport to be so interested in women's rights.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 01:45:14 AM by John Albert »

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 11:52:57 AM »
Sounds like a death sentence. The Iranian regime is truly evil. And never forget that it was the U.S. that is ultimately responsible for imposing the equally brutal and undemocratic dictatorship of the Shah, which led to the backlash and revolution. And the C.I.A., which the rogues love so much, was instrumental in that.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 01:10:20 PM »
Odd that this story hasn't garnered any attention whatsoever, especially from those members who purport to be so interested in women's rights.

I think to them, she is the wrong kind of victim.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 01:31:18 PM by Quetzalcoatl »
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 01:12:16 PM »
Sounds like a death sentence. The Iranian regime is truly evil. And never forget that it was the U.S. that is ultimately responsible for imposing the equally brutal and undemocratic dictatorship of the Shah, which led to the backlash and revolution. And the C.I.A., which the rogues love so much, was instrumental in that.

I have met a couple of people of Iranian background. None of them were particularly fond of the Shah, but they all thought that the current regime is much worse.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 05:03:24 PM »

I have met a couple of people of Iranian background. None of them were particularly fond of the Shah, but they all thought that the current regime is much worse.

Agreed. But it was the backlash against the Shah that led to the Mullahs taking over. The Shah was so brutal that people were willing to allow the mullahs to take over.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 06:31:16 PM »

How so?

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 03:49:36 AM »

How so?

I believe the reason it's been ignored is because Islamic theocracy is the wrong villain.

There's an inclination in some quarters of the Left to refrain from criticizing Islamic fundamentalists out of fear that it will inspire attacks on moderate Muslims. So they think it's better to just look the other way, ignore the atrocities and let the Muslims sort out their own shit.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 10:42:09 PM by John Albert »

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 12:25:28 PM »
Or perhaps some of us dont actually read the threads in this section?

I will happily condemn this. Theocracies are wrong and should not exist. These laws are barbaric and the government that enforces them should be gotten rid of by its people.
Countries that have laws that do not respect human rights should be subject to heavy pressure from other nations and I wish such pressure could be applied fairly to all such nations.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 12:33:02 PM »
I will happily condemn this. Theocracies are wrong and should not exist. These laws are barbaric and the government that enforces them should be gotten rid of by its people.
Countries that have laws that do not respect human rights should be subject to heavy pressure from other nations and I wish such pressure could be applied fairly to all such nations.

Rare as it is, we are in agreement on this one.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 12:38:43 PM by Quetzalcoatl »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 03:23:45 PM »

How so?

I believe the reason it's been ignored is because Islamic theocracy is the wrong villain.

There's an inclination in some quarters of the Left to refrain from criticizing Islamic fundamentalists out of fear that it will result in more violence. So they think it's better to just look the other way, ignore the atrocities and let the Muslims sort out their own shit.

Remember when we discussed the motto of the Edinburgh Skeptics Society: Respect People, Challenge Ideas

Those who objected to it, based on their actions, seem to prefer having it the other way around: Respect Ideas, Challenge People

That motto (the original one, not the opposite one) would actually be a great motto for the forum. Though that is probably not achievable.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 03:56:09 PM »

How so?

There's an inclination in some quarters of the Left to refrain from criticizing Islamic fundamentalists out of fear that it will result in more violence. So they think it's better to just look the other way, ignore the atrocities and let the Muslims sort out their own shit.

Remember when we discussed the motto of the Edinburgh Skeptics Society: Respect People, Challenge Ideas

Those who objected to it, based on their actions, seem to prefer having it the other way around: Respect Ideas, Challenge People

That motto (the original one, not the opposite one) would actually be a great motto for the forum. Though that is probably not achievable.

I like Respect people. Challenge ideas.

It reminds me of the banner I saw at an anti-nuclear protest in North Dakota, which showed me that these people were ones I could happily work with. And I later used the banner in one or two of my own protests. It was maybe 15 feet long, and said:

UNITED STATES AIR FORCE: GOOD PEOPLE, BAD PRODUCT

The Air Force and its nuclear weapons are the military presence in North Dakota. We protested the nukes, not the people. I actually liked all the Air Force people I met, including the ones I met because they were arresting me. And on the one occasion where I obtained a copy of their report as part of the court proceedings, they described me as "peaceful and respectful."

So, yes: challenge ideas and actions; respect people.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 07:21:30 AM »

You're reading it now. How did that come about?

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2019, 07:44:26 AM »

I got bored.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2019, 08:30:46 AM »

I got bored.

HA!

personate-rain