Author Topic: Does "alcohol-free" (0.4%) drinks affect health in any way?  (Read 1426 times)

Online jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
Re: Does "alcohol-free" (0.4%) drinks affect health in any way?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 04:53:14 PM »
You are basically drinking a hops-flavoured softdrink. So, the usual consideration about drinking sugary beverages apply. Always check the labels.

It's not really a soft-drink, or at least it doesn't taste like such. It is an alcohol-free (well, 0.4%) IPA, i.e very different taste from Coke, Fanta, etc.
Flavour is irrelevant. It is [size=78%]a carbonated drink with added sugar. That's a softdrink.[/size]

What kind of alcohol-free beer are you talking about.  Here in Germany there is no sugar, added or otherwise, in alcohol-free beer.

Partial translation: Brewed as regular beer.  Then the alcohol is removed.  No sugar.  Ingredients: water, malt, hops, fermentation carbonic acid. 

Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Online random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 07:45:28 PM »
You are basically drinking a hops-flavoured softdrink. So, the usual consideration about drinking sugary beverages apply. Always check the labels.

It's not really a soft-drink, or at least it doesn't taste like such. It is an alcohol-free (well, 0.4%) IPA, i.e very different taste from Coke, Fanta, etc.
Flavour is irrelevant. It is [size=78%]a carbonated drink with added sugar. That's a softdrink.[/size]

What kind of alcohol-free beer are you talking about.  Here in Germany there is no sugar, added or otherwise, in alcohol-free beer.

Partial translation: Brewed as regular beer.  Then the alcohol is removed.  No sugar.  Ingredients: water, malt, hops, fermentation carbonic acid.
Sure. This is why I also wrote "always read the labels." Quality will vary.

The one you posted is still 2,1g of sugar. Only 20% of what is in a can of coke. ("Malt" is sugar.)
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Online jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 07:57:23 PM »

The one you posted is still 2,1g of sugar. Only 20% of what is in a can of coke. ("Malt" is sugar.)

The one I posted contains 0 sugar.  Beer, according, to the USDA data base contains 0 sugar.  Malt (which is a grain) is fermented in brewing.  It all becomes alcohol; no sugar remains. 
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2019, 08:35:33 PM »
Pointless. Drink beer, don't drink beer, there is no try.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 08:38:13 PM »

You beat me to it: Malted (i.e. sprouted) grain has sugar. The yeast turns that sugar into alcohol. Then for non-alcoholic beer they distill out most of the alcohol. If there's any sugar remaining, two N/A beers a day does not have enough sugar or alcohol to have an impact on your health.

The only possible health issue would be for someone who has an allergy to one or more of the ingredients.

It's a fizzy flavorful drink.

I need to make a search for the kind I like here.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 08:40:18 PM »
Pointless. Drink beer, don't drink beer, there is no try.

I think you are being intentionally silly, but I'm never entirely sure with these things. I had to try a number of different brands before I found the one I like best.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2019, 12:55:41 AM »
Not silly are Yoda quotes, never!
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2019, 10:16:27 AM »

The one I posted contains 0 sugar.  Beer, according, to the USDA data base contains 0 sugar.  Malt (which is a grain) is fermented in brewing.  It all becomes alcohol; no sugar remains.
Sorry, I guess I was not clear. There are 2,1 g of carbs. They come from the malt. The malt is sugar. If the beer contained no sugar, it would have no carbs.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2019, 11:38:21 AM »

That movie saw never did I. Stupid very opinion was my it in.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2019, 11:43:18 AM »

Sorry, I guess I was not clear. There are 2,1 g of carbs. They come from the malt. The malt is sugar. If the beer contained no sugar, it would have no carbs.

Not all carbs are sugar. And even if there were two grams of sugar in a N/A beer, that's 1/20 of the sugar in a Coke (non-diet). Nobody by a LCHF extremist would be concerned about two grams of sugar.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2019, 11:46:17 AM »
P.S. There are 9 grams of sugar in a glass of carrot juice and 36 in a glass of grape juice. Beer is looking pretty good now, as far as sugar goes.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2019, 12:06:33 PM »
Beer, according, to the USDA data base contains 0 sugar.  Malt (which is a grain) is fermented in brewing.  It all becomes alcohol; no sugar remains.

Beer yeast converts about 80% of the sugars to alcohol.  Brewers craft their mash recipes to achieve a desired mix of fermentable and unfermentable sugars like dextrines, which apparently the USDA doesn't consider to be a sugar, but still a carb.
Amend and resubmit.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2019, 12:19:43 PM »

That movie saw never did I. Stupid very opinion was my it in.
Best kind fun, yes it is!

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2019, 04:45:34 PM »

The sugar in beer is maltose, not sucrose.  It's not the same thing to the human body.  Some beer also contains lactose (milk stouts for instance) or other sugars used in the process.  Dextrose from corn, or Sucrose from beets are used in various recipes.

The percentage of yeasties eating sugar will depend on a ton of factors but it could get up to 100% of all sugar in the wort.  If your Original Gravity of your mash is low enough, and your yeast healthy enough, you could burn off all the sugar for a super-dry beer.

Making alcohol-free beer is interesting.  There is some sold that's essentially a beer-flavored concoction of chemicals, so I don't know what kind of sugar level that might have.  You can, however, make any beer alcohol-free (nominally of course) by holding at a specific temperature for a given time that evaporates off the alcohol but not the water (which boils off at a lower temperature) which is to say, distill the alcohol off the beer without actually capturing it.

Don't know if that's the process commercial alcohol-free beer is using or not.

"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2019, 07:38:21 PM »
... distill the alcohol off the beer without actually capturing it. ...

My guess is they would capture it. Waste not, want not. It's got to have some value for something.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck