Author Topic: True believer interviews  (Read 12604 times)

Offline Noah R. Miller

• Frequent Poster
    • http://NRMILLER.COM
True believer interviews
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006, 04:16:47 AM »
Umm on the Jan Hellen chick did you guys ever get her to do any sort of test?
quot;There's only one thing that you can do to get away with the most extrodinary offenses, to morality and truth, just get yourself called reverend."
-Christopher Hitchens

Offline Jayhox

• Seasoned Contributor
  • The Skeptical Dentist
True believer interviews
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2006, 07:11:00 AM »
Also Steve,

I would ask him to comment on the Dalai Lama's statement that when Buddhism and science are in conflict, science should prevail.

Excerpt from his book (emphasis mine):

Buddhism and science are not conflicting perspectives on the world, but rather differing approaches to the same end: Seeking the truth. In Buddhist training, it is essential to investigate reality, and science offers its own ways to go about this investigation. While the purposes of science may differ from those of Buddhism, both ways of searching for truth expand our knowledge and understanding.

The dialogue between science and Buddhism is a two-way conversation. We Buddhists can make use of the findings of science to clarify our understanding of the world we live in. But scientists may also be able to utilize some insights from Buddhism.

I have often said that if science proves facts that conflict with Buddhist understanding, Buddhism must change accordingly. We should always adopt a view that accords with the facts. … However, a clear distinction should be made between what is not found by science and what is found to be nonexistent by science. What science finds to be nonexistent we should all accept as nonexistent, but what science merely does not find is a completely different matter. An example is consciousness itself. Although sentient beings, including humans, have experienced consciousness for centuries, we still do not know what consciousness actually is: its complete nature and how it functions.

Offline jason

• Frequent Poster
True believer interviews
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2006, 02:34:01 PM »
Quote from: "Noah R. Miller"
Umm on the Jan Hellen chick did you guys ever get her to do any sort of test?

Good question! I'd guess it never happened, and suspect there's any number of amusing excuses for why she chose not to participate...
quot;Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick
"Scientific skepticism: the buck stops at reality."

Offline Winick88

• Well Established
True believer interviews
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2006, 07:01:12 PM »
I don't think the rogues followed it up. They should test her ability to see through walls.
The human understanding is like a false mirror, which, receiving rays irregularly, distorts and discolors the nature of things by mingling its own nature with it. ~Francis Bacon

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
True believer interviews
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2006, 07:42:17 PM »
Found this post from Dr Novella from July 20th.  I think it's the last bit of info we have about Jan Helen.

Quote from: "Steven Novella"

No follow up yet. We were waiting for an appopriate local murder, but no luck so far.

We simply have not had time to work up another test protocol, but it's on the to do list.

http://www.skepchick.org/skepticsguide/viewtopic.php?t=172
"We're just so damn exciting." - Dr. Steven Novella, MD

Offline Noah R. Miller

• Frequent Poster
True believer interviews
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2006, 01:18:08 AM »
Heh. That no luck on the murder thing is totaly sinister or something.
quot;There's only one thing that you can do to get away with the most extrodinary offenses, to morality and truth, just get yourself called reverend."
-Christopher Hitchens

Offline jason

• Frequent Poster
True believer interviews
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2006, 01:38:16 AM »
Heh. That no luck on the murder thing is totaly sinister or something.

Given her claimed 100% accuracy (I suppose she determined that psychically, since she also said she never followed up on whether her information helped or not), and inability to specify just how many cases she helped with... and now we see that murders just ain't that common, I'm wondering how many murders she has "helped" with. One?

And yeah, perceiving the lack of corpses as unlucky could be perceived as a little spooky. :)
quot;Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick
"Scientific skepticism: the buck stops at reality."

Offline Winick88

• Well Established
True believer interviews
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2006, 03:23:31 AM »
She said that as a child she could see through walls. I can't believe the rogues didn't jump on that because it's simple to test. If she doesn't still have that ability I'd be interested to know what her excuse is.
The human understanding is like a false mirror, which, receiving rays irregularly, distorts and discolors the nature of things by mingling its own nature with it. ~Francis Bacon

Offline Noah R. Miller

• Frequent Poster
True believer interviews
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2006, 06:22:54 AM »
Not just walls, but through the back of her own eyes, through her skull, various brain and skin and hair matter, then through a tree, and then through a wall across the street. It also seemed that given her description that she could move this sight around and stop the vision at will, so that she could see through some walls but not others and still see people.

At the same time it seems strange that to do this she would need to sit against a tree faceing the house, why not do it from her room or swingset or toilet or wherever else she could be left alone to use her psychic superpower.
-Christopher Hitchens

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
True believer interviews
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2006, 06:35:43 AM »
She almost sounded like she couldn't do the seeing through things anymore.  Like it was a thing she could do in her childhood but not anymore.

Offline Noah R. Miller

• Frequent Poster
True believer interviews
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2006, 06:51:43 AM »
I kind of got that sense too. Hmmm...
-Christopher Hitchens

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
True believer interviews
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2006, 12:36:00 PM »
Kind of like why Peter Pan never wanted to grow up... or in a more disturbing way... Michael Jackson.

Offline Kerry Maxwell

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • http://www.bwanasonic.com
True believer interviews
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2006, 01:24:39 AM »
The pain rating for the Neal Adams content is compounded for me because he is an important figure in the history of comics, and I really respect his contribution to comic art and history. I look forward to this most recent *True Believer* segment.

Kerry M

Offline Noah R. Miller

• Frequent Poster
True believer interviews
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2006, 03:08:17 AM »
I'm a comic nut myself, so I have to compartmentalize myself in some ways.
-Christopher Hitchens

Offline cosmicvagabond

• Frequent Poster
True believer interviews
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2006, 07:02:14 AM »
I'm a comic nut myself, so I have to compartmentalize myself in some ways.

Exactly... that's the same thing I have to do whenever I see a Mel Gibson or Tom Cruise movie. There's no point in letting my personal feelings get in the way of admiring their talents.
Bold ideas, unjustified anticipations, and speculative thoughts are our only means for interpreting nature... Those among us who are unwilling to expose their ideas to the hazard of refutation do not take part in the scientific game.    ---Karl Popper, "The Logic of Scientific Discovery"

personate-rain